* populate_sdk and debian packages problem
@ 2015-11-02 18:53 Martin Townsend
From: Martin Townsend @ 2015-11-02 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I've just moved everything to fido and everything builds fine.  One of the
reasons for moving to Fido was to use the built toolchain and create an SDK
using populate_sdk but it is failing with the following message:
ERROR: Unable to install packages. Command
'/home/martin/ws_poweroasis/build/am43-devboard-aquila/bia-tmp-glibc/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/apt-get
install --force-yes --allow-unauthenticated nativesdk-packagegroup-sdk-host
packagegroup-cross-canadian-am43-devboard-aquila' returned 100:
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
W: Unable to read
/home/martin/ws_poweroasis/build/am43-devboard-aquila/bia-tmp-glibc/work/am43_devboard_aquila-oe-linux-gnueabi/bia-image/1.0-r0/apt-sdk/preferences.d/
- DirectoryExists (2: No such file or directory)
E: Unable to locate package nativesdk-packagegroup-sdk-host

I checked the nativesdk-packagegroup-sdk-host build and it's empty.

After a bit of searching I found that a similar problem exists in Daisy and
it was down to debian packages which I am using so I chaged to use the
default IPK and the error message disappears.

Is this a regression? or are Debian packages not supported for SDK?

Many Thanks,
Martin.

* Re: populate_sdk and debian packages problem
@ 2015-11-03 14:20 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2015-11-03 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Townsend; +Cc: yocto

Hi Martin,

On Monday 02 November 2015 18:53:04 Martin Townsend wrote:
> I've just moved everything to fido and everything builds fine.  One of the
> reasons for moving to Fido was to use the built toolchain and create an SDK
> using populate_sdk but it is failing with the following message:
> ERROR: Unable to install packages. Command
> '/home/martin/ws_poweroasis/build/am43-devboard-aquila/bia-tmp-glibc/sysroot
> s/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/apt-get install --force-yes --allow-unauthenticated
> nativesdk-packagegroup-sdk-host
> packagegroup-cross-canadian-am43-devboard-aquila' returned 100:
> Reading package lists...
> Building dependency tree...
> Reading state information...
> W: Unable to read
> /home/martin/ws_poweroasis/build/am43-devboard-aquila/bia-tmp-glibc/work/am4
> 3_devboard_aquila-oe-linux-gnueabi/bia-image/1.0-r0/apt-sdk/preferences.d/ -
> DirectoryExists (2: No such file or directory)
> E: Unable to locate package nativesdk-packagegroup-sdk-host
>
> I checked the nativesdk-packagegroup-sdk-host build and it's empty.
>
> After a bit of searching I found that a similar problem exists in Daisy and
> it was down to debian packages which I am using so I chaged to use the
> default IPK and the error message disappears.
>
> Is this a regression? or are Debian packages not supported for SDK?

If it worked before then it's a regression. I'm afraid deb packaging is the
least well-tested of the three packaging options, from time to time it does
break unfortunately. Could you please file a bug at bugzilla.yoctoproject.org ?

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: populate_sdk and debian packages problem
@ 2015-11-03 14:34   ` Martin Townsend
From: Martin Townsend @ 2015-11-03 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: yocto

Hi Paul,

I don't know if it worked before, we were using daisy with an external
toolchain and populate_sdk wasn't working.  I've wanted to go to Fido and
use the built toolchain so I bit the bullet as all looks good except
populate_sdk with dpkg.  Anyway, I'll file a bug as it looks like there is
a problem.

In the meantime if someone could point me in the direction of which class
files to look at that would be great as I need to get this working asap and
I don't mind doing some ground work.

Cheers,
Martin.

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 2:20 PM, Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com

@ 2015-11-03 14:52     ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2015-11-03 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Townsend; +Cc: yocto

On Tuesday 03 November 2015 14:34:33 Martin Townsend wrote:
> I don't know if it worked before, we were using daisy with an external
> toolchain and populate_sdk wasn't working.  I've wanted to go to Fido and
> use the built toolchain so I bit the bullet as all looks good except
> populate_sdk with dpkg.  Anyway, I'll file a bug as it looks like there is
> a problem.

OK, thanks.

> In the meantime if someone could point me in the direction of which class
> files to look at that would be great as I need to get this working asap and
> I don't mind doing some ground work.

Basically:

meta/classes/package_deb.bbclass
meta/classes/rootfs_deb.bbclass

Most of the logic is actually in Dpkg* classes in:

meta/lib/oe/sdk.py
meta/lib/oe/package_manager.py
meta/lib/oe/rootfs.py

Cheers,
Paul

--

@ 2015-11-07  8:49       ` Martin Townsend
From: Martin Townsend @ 2015-11-07  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: yocto

I fixed the problem but I don't know if it's the right way to fix it.
Basically it occurs because I redefine DPKG_ARCH
DPKG_ARCH ?= "armv7ahf-vfp-neon"
in local.conf
We need to do this as we support several arm platforms that are all little
endian but some have soft floating point, some are armv5 etc.
This breaks do_package_write_deb in package_deb.bbclass which maps
DPKG_ARCH to Debian's ideas about architectures.  My fix was to use
PACAKGE_ARCH and add "i686-nativesdk" to the list
I've added "x86_64-nativesdk" to the 64 bit list but I don't know if this
is correct or not, just building now.

python () {
    if d.getVar('PACKAGES', True) != '':
        deps = ' dpkg-native:do_populate_sysroot
virtual/fakeroot-native:do_populate_sysroot'
        d.appendVarFlag('do_package_write_deb', 'depends', deps)
        d.setVarFlag('do_package_write_deb', 'fakeroot', "1")

    # Map TARGET_ARCH to Debian's ideas about architectures
    darch = d.getVar('PACKAGE_ARCH', True)
    if darch in ["x86", "i486", "i586", "i686", "i686-nativesdk",
"pentium"]:
         d.setVar('DPKG_ARCH', 'i386')
    elif darch in ["x86_64", "x86_64-nativesdk"]:
         d.setVar('DPKG_ARCH', 'amd64')
    elif darch == "arm":
         d.setVar('DPKG_ARCH', 'armel')

Like I said I don't know if this is the correct way of doing it, this is my
first time of delving into the depths of bitbake and Yocto :)

If it is correct I don't mind submitting a patch if someone shows me how to
do this.

Cheers,
Martin.

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 2:52 PM, Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com