* Poky doesn't play nice with meta-oe
@ 2012-03-10 15:31 Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2012-03-10 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Poky Project

I wanted to do some experimenting with midori (a webkit based
browser that is [arguably] better than web2) in my familiar Poky
environment.  I've run midori in the past by cobbling in the
recipes and dependencies, but I wanted to see if I could just
use the whole meta-oe layer, as is.  Here's what I tried:

* Build core-image-sato for qemuarm from latest master
   Everything works as expected

* Add in meta-oe layers, in particular (I used my up-to-date checkout
   of Angstrom for this):
     /local/new-angstrom/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-xfce \
     /local/new-angstrom/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-multimedia \
     /local/new-angstrom/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-gpe \
     /local/new-angstrom/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-initramfs \
     /local/new-angstrom/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-efl \
     /local/new-angstrom/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-oe \
     /local/new-angstrom/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-gnome \

* Rebuild core-image-sato
   Lots of packages get rebuilt, down to GCC which has been updated
   to r27 from r22.  I thought the poky meta "core" was tracking meta-oe
   and openembedded-core more closely than this.

   Image will boot, but most things are broken, no X, no network, ...

It looks like the evil systemd has pervaded meta-oe (which IMO should
be at least a DISTRO decision).

I guess the only way I'll be able to test this in Poky, if at all,
will be to only import the midori recipes and its dependencies, which
there seem to be many.

Oh well, so much for my "simple" test.

* Re: Poky doesn't play nice with meta-oe
@ 2012-03-15 15:24 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2012-03-15 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: poky

On Saturday 10 March 2012 08:31:50 Gary Thomas wrote:
> I wanted to do some experimenting with midori (a webkit based
> browser that is [arguably] better than web2) in my familiar Poky
> environment.
> * Rebuild core-image-sato
>    Lots of packages get rebuilt, down to GCC which has been updated
>    to r27 from r22.  I thought the poky meta "core" was tracking meta-oe
>    and openembedded-core more closely than this.

I agree, this is not particularly desirable. We've discussed this in the OE
TSC and the agreement was that the toolchain bits currently in the meta-oe
layer itself will be moved out to a separate layer.

> Image will boot, but most things are broken, no X, no network, ...

That's not good :(

> It looks like the evil systemd has pervaded meta-oe (which IMO should
> be at least a DISTRO decision).

I agree, but there are others who think it should be switchable on a per-image
basis. I don't think it's going to be long before that's impossible however.

> I guess the only way I'll be able to test this in Poky, if at all,
> will be to only import the midori recipes and its dependencies, which
> there seem to be many.

That's not an unreasonable approach for now. However we do really want to tidy
up meta-oe such that it doesn't do surprising things when you enable it.
Hopefully we will get a chance to make progress on this over the next few
months.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: Poky doesn't play nice with meta-oe
@ 2012-04-20 16:01   ` Andrea Galbusera
From: Andrea Galbusera @ 2012-04-20 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: poky

Hi! I'm resurrecting this thread because it's becoming somewhat
interesting for me.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 10 March 2012 08:31:50 Gary Thomas wrote:
>> I wanted to do some experimenting with midori (a webkit based
>> browser that is [arguably] better than web2) in my familiar Poky
>> environment.
>> * Rebuild core-image-sato
>>    Lots of packages get rebuilt, down to GCC which has been updated
>>    to r27 from r22.  I thought the poky meta "core" was tracking meta-oe
>>    and openembedded-core more closely than this.
>
> I agree, this is not particularly desirable. We've discussed this in the OE
> TSC and the agreement was that the toolchain bits currently in the meta-oe
> layer itself will be moved out to a separate layer.
>
>> Image will boot, but most things are broken, no X, no network, ...
>
> That's not good :(
>
>> It looks like the evil systemd has pervaded meta-oe (which IMO should
>> be at least a DISTRO decision).
>
> I agree, but there are others who think it should be switchable on a per-image
> basis. I don't think it's going to be long before that's impossible however.
>
>> I guess the only way I'll be able to test this in Poky, if at all,
>> will be to only import the midori recipes and its dependencies, which
>> there seem to be many.
>
> That's not an unreasonable approach for now. However we do really want to tidy
> up meta-oe such that it doesn't do surprising things when you enable it.
> Hopefully we will get a chance to make progress on this over the next few
> months.

Before starting to mess up things I'm asking if there is any relevant
improvement on this side? I need a few recipes that are in meta-oe but
not in poky/yocto (python-twisted, gpsd and a few more). Enabling
meta-oe over my current edison environment would be nice to avoid
manually importing those recipes with dependencies. Maybe master
branch and upcoming 1.2 are expected to work better on this side?

* Re: Poky doesn't play nice with meta-oe
@ 2012-04-20 16:38     ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2012-04-20 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Galbusera, poky

On Friday 20 April 2012 18:01:54 Andrea Galbusera wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Paul Eggleton
> <paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> > That's not an unreasonable approach for now. However we do really want to
> > tidy up meta-oe such that it doesn't do surprising things when you enable
> > it. Hopefully we will get a chance to make progress on this over the next
> > few months.
>
> Before starting to mess up things I'm asking if there is any relevant
> improvement on this side? I need a few recipes that are in meta-oe but
> not in poky/yocto (python-twisted, gpsd and a few more). Enabling
> meta-oe over my current edison environment would be nice to avoid
> manually importing those recipes with dependencies. Maybe master
> branch and upcoming 1.2 are expected to work better on this side?

No major progress as yet, I've been busy with things leading up to the 1.2
release; however once that's out the door there should be more time available
for improving meta-oe.

Cheers,
Paul

--

@ 2012-04-20 16:49     ` Tomas Frydrych
From: Tomas Frydrych @ 2012-04-20 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poky

On 20/04/12 17:01, Andrea Galbusera wrote:
> Before starting to mess up things I'm asking if there is any relevant
> improvement on this side? I need a few recipes that are in meta-oe but
> not in poky/yocto (python-twisted, gpsd and a few more). Enabling
> meta-oe over my current edison environment would be nice to avoid
> manually importing those recipes with dependencies. Maybe master
> branch and upcoming 1.2 are expected to work better on this side?

I have tried combining Yocto with meta-oe about a week ago, and it does
not work at all at the moment; ended up with images that were very
broken. I think systemd is the principal culprit, though as the meta-oe
layer has higher priority than Yocto, not the only problem (though
forcing a lower priority on it, does not much help).

Tomas

* Re: Poky doesn't play nice with meta-oe
@ 2012-04-20 17:15       ` Andrea Galbusera
From: Andrea Galbusera @ 2012-04-20 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: poky

Paul,

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Friday 20 April 2012 18:01:54 Andrea Galbusera wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Paul Eggleton
>> <paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>> > That's not an unreasonable approach for now. However we do really want to
>> > tidy up meta-oe such that it doesn't do surprising things when you enable
>> > it. Hopefully we will get a chance to make progress on this over the next
>> > few months.
>>
>> Before starting to mess up things I'm asking if there is any relevant
>> improvement on this side? I need a few recipes that are in meta-oe but
>> not in poky/yocto (python-twisted, gpsd and a few more). Enabling
>> meta-oe over my current edison environment would be nice to avoid
>> manually importing those recipes with dependencies. Maybe master
>> branch and upcoming 1.2 are expected to work better on this side?
>
> No major progress as yet, I've been busy with things leading up to the 1.2
> release; however once that's out the door there should be more time available
> for improving meta-oe.

Thank you for updating on this. I'm looking forward to hopefully see
progress in this area in the future. For the time being, I'll go on
manually importing those recipes. By the way, one of them
(python-twisted) is triggering some problems when RDEPENDing on it: I
have to figure out if they are yocto specific or not. If not, I'll
report to meta-oe people.