* How to get the accurate physical CPU utilization in Dom0?
@ 2014-02-27 15:06 Bei Guan
From: Bei Guan @ 2014-02-27 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

I run a PV DomU with 1 vcpu on Xen. I pin the vcpu to a physical CPU core,
such as core 3. Then, I run a cpu-bound process in DomU and the vcpu
utilization is 100% (got it with "xentop" in Dom0).
However, when I use "top" in Dom0 to see the physical CPU utilization, the
CPU core 3 utilization is zero or less than 1%. The utilization expected of
CPU core 3 is also 100% like the vcpu. Is it? Why I cannot get the accurate
physical CPU utilization with "top" command in Dom0?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

--
Best Regards,
Bei Guan

* Re: How to get the accurate physical CPU utilization in Dom0?
@ 2014-02-27 15:40 ` Roger Pau Monné
From: Roger Pau Monné @ 2014-02-27 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bei Guan, xen-devel

On 27/02/14 16:06, Bei Guan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I run a PV DomU with 1 vcpu on Xen. I pin the vcpu to a physical CPU
> core, such as core 3. Then, I run a cpu-bound process in DomU and the
> vcpu utilization is 100% (got it with "xentop" in Dom0).
> However, when I use "top" in Dom0 to see the physical CPU utilization,
> the CPU core 3 utilization is zero or less than 1%. The utilization
> expected of CPU core 3 is also 100% like the vcpu. Is it? Why I cannot
> get the accurate physical CPU utilization with "top" command in Dom0?

top in Dom0 will only show CPU utilization of Dom0 (Xen is not a type 2
hypervisor, so Dom0 is no different than any other DomU in this aspect),
if you want to see CPU utilization of all domains you should use xl top
(xentop).

Roger.

* Re: How to get the accurate physical CPU utilization in Dom0?
@ 2014-02-27 15:49 ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2014-02-27 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bei Guan; +Cc: xen-devel

On 27/02/14 15:06, Bei Guan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I run a PV DomU with 1 vcpu on Xen. I pin the vcpu to a physical CPU
> core, such as core 3. Then, I run a cpu-bound process in DomU and the
> vcpu utilization is 100% (got it with "xentop" in Dom0).
> However, when I use "top" in Dom0 to see the physical CPU utilization,
> the CPU core 3 utilization is zero or less than 1%. The utilization
> expected of CPU core 3 is also 100% like the vcpu. Is it? Why I cannot
> get the accurate physical CPU utilization with "top" command in Dom0?
>
> Any advice is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Xen is not KVM; dom0 is just another VM as far as Xen is concerned, so
dom0's cpu3 is not domU's cpu3.

Top in dom0 shows dom0's virtual cpu utilisation.  I am not aware of a
utility like top which gives the physical cpu information, distributed
by physical cpu.

~Andrew

* Re: How to get the accurate physical CPU utilization in Dom0?
@ 2014-02-27 16:19   ` Bei Guan
From: Bei Guan @ 2014-02-27 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Pau Monné; +Cc: xen-devel