* [Qemu-devel] Networking documentation for a Mac OS X guest
@ 2015-12-03 23:24 Programmingkid
From: Programmingkid @ 2015-12-03 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell; +Cc: qemu-devel qemu-devel

I would like to make a little tutorial on how to make networking work for a Mac OS X guest. Where would you suggest I put such documentation? The qemu-doc file is what I was thinking about using.

The bulk of the information would be to add "-usb -net none -netdev user,id=mynet0 -device usb-net,netdev=mynet0" to QEMU's arguments. I still haven't figured out how to share a folder between the host and the guest. When I do, that information would probably be placed near this tutorial.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Networking documentation for a Mac OS X guest
@ 2015-12-04  0:02 ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2015-12-04  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Programmingkid; +Cc: qemu-devel qemu-devel

On 3 December 2015 at 23:24, Programmingkid <programmingkidx@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to make a little tutorial on how to make networking
> work for a Mac OS X guest. Where would you suggest I put such
> documentation? The qemu-doc file is what I was thinking about using.

Hmm. I think for "doing stuff for a particular guest" type tutorials
we've got a few links and pages on the wiki; perhaps an entry in
http://wiki.qemu.org/Manual under "for users that target for a specific
platform" for OSX guests in general? Then you could have a page giving
suggestions for the command line in general as well as networking
in particular. (The existing links in that subsection are all
external but there's no reason we couldn't have an internal-to-the-wiki
link there too.)

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Networking documentation for a Mac OS X guest
@ 2015-12-04 11:36   ` Mark Cave-Ayland
From: Mark Cave-Ayland @ 2015-12-04 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell, Programmingkid; +Cc: qemu-devel qemu-devel

On 04/12/15 00:02, Peter Maydell wrote:

> On 3 December 2015 at 23:24, Programmingkid <programmingkidx@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would like to make a little tutorial on how to make networking
>> work for a Mac OS X guest. Where would you suggest I put such
>> documentation? The qemu-doc file is what I was thinking about using.
>
> Hmm. I think for "doing stuff for a particular guest" type tutorials
> we've got a few links and pages on the wiki; perhaps an entry in
> http://wiki.qemu.org/Manual under "for users that target for a specific
> platform" for OSX guests in general? Then you could have a page giving
> suggestions for the command line in general as well as networking
> in particular. (The existing links in that subsection are all
> external but there's no reason we couldn't have an internal-to-the-wiki
> link there too.)

Is it worth setting up per-arch homepages on the wiki? This is something
I've thought about recently since most of the information out on the
internet regarding QEMU's ability to run various systems is badly out of
date with regard to SPARC/PPC. Even better if they could go in the left
hand list with easy to remember URLs like /SPARC, /PPC, /ARM etc...

ATB,

Mark.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Networking documentation for a Mac OS X guest
@ 2015-12-04 11:46     ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2015-12-04 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Cave-Ayland; +Cc: Programmingkid, qemu-devel qemu-devel

On 4 December 2015 at 11:36, Mark Cave-Ayland
<mark.cave-ayland@ilande.co.uk> wrote:
> Is it worth setting up per-arch homepages on the wiki? This is something
> I've thought about recently since most of the information out on the
> internet regarding QEMU's ability to run various systems is badly out of
> date with regard to SPARC/PPC. Even better if they could go in the left
> hand list with easy to remember URLs like /SPARC, /PPC, /ARM etc...

Sounds like a good idea to me. If you'd like to do it please go ahead :-)

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Networking documentation for a Mac OS X guest
@ 2015-12-05 14:10       ` Mark Cave-Ayland
From: Mark Cave-Ayland @ 2015-12-05 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell; +Cc: Programmingkid, qemu-devel qemu-devel

On 04/12/15 11:46, Peter Maydell wrote:

> On 4 December 2015 at 11:36, Mark Cave-Ayland
> <mark.cave-ayland@ilande.co.uk> wrote:
>> Is it worth setting up per-arch homepages on the wiki? This is something
>> I've thought about recently since most of the information out on the
>> internet regarding QEMU's ability to run various systems is badly out of
>> date with regard to SPARC/PPC. Even better if they could go in the left
>> hand list with easy to remember URLs like /SPARC, /PPC, /ARM etc...
>
> Sounds like a good idea to me. If you'd like to do it please go ahead :-)

Okay. Here's my initial attempt at a SPARC homepage which contains basic
info, a compatibility table from my OpenBIOS tests and other useful
info: http://wiki.qemu.org/SPARC.

Hopefully this will encourage other maintainers to step forward and do
something similar :)

ATB,

Mark.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Networking documentation for a Mac OS X guest
@ 2015-12-05 16:20         ` Programmingkid
From: Programmingkid @ 2015-12-05 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Cave-Ayland; +Cc: Peter Maydell, qemu-devel qemu-devel

On Dec 5, 2015, at 9:10 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:

> On 04/12/15 11:46, Peter Maydell wrote:
>
>> On 4 December 2015 at 11:36, Mark Cave-Ayland
>> <mark.cave-ayland@ilande.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Is it worth setting up per-arch homepages on the wiki? This is something
>>> I've thought about recently since most of the information out on the
>>> internet regarding QEMU's ability to run various systems is badly out of
>>> date with regard to SPARC/PPC. Even better if they could go in the left
>>> hand list with easy to remember URLs like /SPARC, /PPC, /ARM etc...
>>
>> Sounds like a good idea to me. If you'd like to do it please go ahead :-)
>
> Okay. Here's my initial attempt at a SPARC homepage which contains basic
> info, a compatibility table from my OpenBIOS tests and other useful
> info: http://wiki.qemu.org/SPARC.
>
> Hopefully this will encourage other maintainers to step forward and do
> something similar :)

Excellent job! I will model the PowerPC page after your page. Do you think you could add a few screenshots of qemu-system-sparc running Solaris? Thanks.