* VPU_EncGetVersionInfo failed
@ 2014-07-11 21:08 Allan Matthew
From: Allan Matthew @ 2014-07-11 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

I'm using a custom MCIMX6S5EVM10AC board and am having an issue with the
vpuenc gstreamer plugin.  I'm able to otherwise use gstreamer plugins like
mfw_v4lsink, tvsrc, mfw_isink etc but the vpu does not seem to be working.
 When invoking vpuenc with the h.264 codec, I get the following debug error
from gst-launch:

 0:00:02.613795334  1154   0x389920 ERROR                 vpuenc
vpuenc.c:441:vpuenc_core_init: func VPU_EncGetVersionInfo failed!! with ret
1

Looking in my dmesg, it appears that the VPU is recognized as I see:

mxc_vpu 2040000.vpu: VPU initialized

I'm using the 3.10.17ga fsl-image-test yocto image.  I've confirmed that
this also happens with vpudec.

I've also tried re-building yocto, as well as using an imx6dlsabresd
machine type.

My gst-inspect is as follows, indicating that indeed all of the necessary
plugins are being built and installed:

root@imx6dlsabresd:~# gst-inspect|grep imx
mpeg2dec.imx:  mfw_mpeg2decoder: mpeg2 video decoder
v4lsink.imx:  mfw_v4lsink: v4l2 video sink
mp3enc.imx:  mfw_mp3encoder: mp3 audio encoder
h264.imx:  mfw_h264decoder: h264 video decoder
isink.imx:  mfw_isink: IPU-based video sink
vpu.imx:  vpudec: VPU-based video decoder
vpu.imx:  vpuenc: VPU-based video encoder
audiopeq.imx:  mfw_audio_pp: audio post equalizer
mpeg4dec.imx:  mfw_mpeg4aspdecoder: mpeg4 video decoder
amrdec.imx:  mfw_amrdecoder: amr audio decoder
aiur.imx: webm: webm
aiur.imx:  aiurdemux: aiur universal demuxer
beep.imx: ac3: ac3
beep.imx: 3ca: ac3
beep.imx:  beepdec: beep audio decoder
beep.imx:  beepdec.vorbis: Vorbis decoder
beep.imx:  beepdec.mp3: MP3 decoder
beep.imx:  beepdec.aac: AAC LC decoder
ipucsc.imx:  mfw_ipucsc: IPU-based video converter
tvsrc.imx:  tvsrc: v4l2 based tv src
v4lsrc.imx:  mfw_v4lsrc: v4l2 based camera src

Lastly, I've been able to get the vpuenc/vpudec running on the 3.0.35
release, so this seems to be something specific to the 3.10.17 distribution
on my board.

Thanks for the help,

-Allan

* Re: VPU_EncGetVersionInfo failed
@ 2014-07-11 22:41 ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2014-07-11 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allan Matthew, Fabio Estevam; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Allan Matthew <amatthew@3drobotics.com> wrote:
> I'm using a custom MCIMX6S5EVM10AC board and am having an issue with the
> vpuenc gstreamer plugin.  I'm able to otherwise use gstreamer plugins like
> mfw_v4lsink, tvsrc, mfw_isink etc but the vpu does not seem to be working.
> When invoking vpuenc with the h.264 codec, I get the following debug error
> from gst-launch:
>
>  0:00:02.613795334  1154   0x389920 ERROR                 vpuenc
> vpuenc.c:441:vpuenc_core_init: func VPU_EncGetVersionInfo failed!! with ret
> 1

I recall of seeing something like that due missing revision from the
processor. I recall it was in U-Boot if I am not mistaken.

Probably you also need something in dts for it to work.

* Re: VPU_EncGetVersionInfo failed
@ 2014-07-11 23:03   ` Allan Matthew
From: Allan Matthew @ 2014-07-11 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

Thanks Otavio-

My initial thought was to look at the dts, actually.  I've been digging but
I haven't seen anything obvious.  My thought would be that this may have
something to do with power, but I don't even know how to go about debugging
it.  Any further support would be really appreciated.

-Allan

*Allan Matthew*
Embedded Software Engineer, 3DRx
*3D Robotics*
(858) 225-1414
website <http://www.3dr.com/> | facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/3drobotics> | instagram
<http://www.instagram.com/3drobotics>

@ 2014-07-14 14:28     ` Lauren Post
From: Lauren Post @ 2014-07-14 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allan Matthew; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 3:41 PM, Otavio Salvador <otavio@ossystems.com.br<mailto:otavio@ossystems.com.br>> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Allan Matthew <amatthew@3drobotics.com<mailto:amatthew@3drobotics.com>> wrote:
> I'm using a custom MCIMX6S5EVM10AC board and am having an issue with the
> vpuenc gstreamer plugin.  I'm able to otherwise use gstreamer plugins like
> mfw_v4lsink, tvsrc, mfw_isink etc but the vpu does not seem to be working.
> When invoking vpuenc with the h.264 codec, I get the following debug error
> from gst-launch:
>
>  0:00:02.613795334  1154   0x389920 ERROR                 vpuenc
> vpuenc.c:441:vpuenc_core_init: func VPU_EncGetVersionInfo failed!! with ret
This part you are using is a i.MX 6 Solo Lite chip which does not have a VPU.  That is why you are getting this failure.

* Re: VPU_EncGetVersionInfo failed
@ 2014-07-14 14:36       ` Lauren Post
From: Lauren Post @ 2014-07-14 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allan Matthew; +Cc: meta-freescale

Sorry I was wrong on my part numbers – that is a solo which does have a VPU.  The DTS for solo and dual lite are the same.

@ 2014-07-14 17:11         ` Allan Matthew
From: Allan Matthew @ 2014-07-14 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

I believe I found the issue.  In my device tree I had the VPU supply set to
pu_dummy when it should have been set to a regulator.  Seems to have fixed
the issue.

@ 2014-07-16 23:31           ` Tim Harvey
From: Tim Harvey @ 2014-07-16 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allan Matthew, meta-freescale

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 10:11 AM, Allan Matthew <amatthew@3drobotics.com> wrote:
> I believe I found the issue.  In my device tree I had the VPU supply set to
> pu_dummy when it should have been set to a regulator.  Seems to have fixed
> the issue.
>
> Allan Matthew
> Embedded Software Engineer, 3DRx
> 3D Robotics
> (858) 225-1414
> website | facebook | instagram

Alan,

This info was extremely helpful - I ran into this as well after
recently moving my boards to the 3.10.17_1.0.0-ga kernel. Note that I
also had to set system_rev based on the SOC type so that the imx-vpu
could determine the vpu firmware name... not clear where this was ever
set in Freescale's vendor kernel and thus if VPU even works on the
references boards with the 3.10.17 kernel.

Perhaps Freescale can shed some light on the subject? I'm wondering if
I'm completely misunderstanding the comments in the dts files or if
they are just plain wrong:

imx6qdl-sabresd.dtsi:
&vpu {
        pu-supply = <&pu_dummy>; /* ldo-bypass:use pu_dummy if VDDSOC
share with VDDPU */
};

The comment above seems to indicate that if you are using LDO-bypass
mode you would set this to pu-dummy. I think this comment is
backwards, and if you are bypassing the LDO you need to set to to
reg_pu (which is what I needed to do on my board to get the VPU
initialized properly).

imx6q-sabresd-ldo.dts:
&vpu {
        pu-supply = <&reg_pu>; /* ldo-bypass:use pu_dummy if VDDSOC
share with VDDPU */
};

Same comment, different choice. Is 'imx6q-sabresd-ldo.dts' the dtb for
sabresd 'using' the internal LDO or 'bypassing' the internal LDO's? We
are talking about multiple LDO's correct? (LDO_ARM on VDDARM*_CAP*
pins and LDO_SOC on VDDSOC_CAP* pins and LDO_PU on VDDPU_CAP* pins).
On our boards we provide our own VDD_ARM and VDD_SOC to VDDARM*_IN*
and VDDSOC_IN* pins to support the higher freq IMX6Q parts so I have
always assumed I am using 'ldo bypass' mode.

Please advise,

Regards,

Tim