* should the same recipe have two different WORKDIRs?
@ 2021-06-16 16:30 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2021-06-16 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

  perhaps i've just never noticed before, but a colleague asked me to
debug some strangeness with his WRLinux build, and what i noticed was
that the recipe that generated a package with a single (aarch64)
executable created WORKDIRs under both directories:

  * cortexa53...
  * acme-coyote		[actual target board]

this surprises me ... i thought that, based on the attributes of any
recipe, it would have only one WORKDIR in the appropriate place. what
does the above mean? i'm not sure what to make of it.

rday

* Re: [OE-core] should the same recipe have two different WORKDIRs?
@ 2021-06-16 16:49 ` Mark Hatle
From: Mark Hatle @ 2021-06-16 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Part of the WORKDIR component is the target (package) architecture.  If the
recipe or one of it's inherits sets PACKAGE_ARCH = "${MACHINE_ARCH}" it will
move the component.

Where I've seen both directories used is when someone is building for multiple
target boards.. and some of the targets use the default PACKAGE_ARCH, and some
use MACHINE_ARCH.  This is very common with OpenGL and hardware acceleration.
Mesa for instance becomes machine dependent on some systems, but generic for others.

--Mark

@ 2021-06-16 18:18 ` Andre McCurdy
From: Andre McCurdy @ 2021-06-16 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 9:30 AM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>   perhaps i've just never noticed before, but a colleague asked me to
> debug some strangeness with his WRLinux build, and what i noticed was
> that the recipe that generated a package with a single (aarch64)
> executable created WORKDIRs under both directories:
>
>   * cortexa53...
>   * acme-coyote         [actual target board]
>
> this surprises me ... i thought that, based on the attributes of any
> recipe, it would have only one WORKDIR in the appropriate place. what
> does the above mean? i'm not sure what to make of it.

Have you built the recipe for two different machines in the same build
directory?

If you completely remove tmp and then build again for a single machine
you should see only one WORKDIR created (which could be under either
the generic cortexa53 or the machine specific acme-coyote depending on
whether the recipe sets PACKAGE_ARCH or applies any patches or sets
config option etc using a machine specific override).