* missing build.log files
@ 2021-10-01 17:07 Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2021-10-01 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vishal Bhoj; +Cc: llvm

Hi Vishal,
Last night's run had a few HTTP 404's where the build.log files
weren't produced, example:
https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/continuous-integration2/runs/3767134165?check_suite_focus=true

download_url: https://builds.tuxbuild.com/1yuAt3oatFT1XZifxO2YoBUadf4/

expected the log file to be at
https://builds.tuxbuild.com/1yuAt3oatFT1XZifxO2YoBUadf4/build.log

~Nick Desaulniers

* Re: missing build.log files
@ 2021-10-01 17:20 ` Vishal Bhoj
From: Vishal Bhoj @ 2021-10-01 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Desaulniers; +Cc: llvm, tuxsuite

Hi Nick,

I saw the build failures today morning. These builds try to apply
patches and fail to apply them and hence the build is marked as
failed. This info is available in build logs and also as part of
"status_message" field in the build.json file saved by tuxsuite cli
(--json-out option).

The build.log is generated from tuxmake and since the patching itself
failed, a build.log was not generated. I have opened a bug to track
this issue to publish the build.log:
https://gitlab.com/Linaro/tuxsuite/-/issues/138

Regards,
Vishal

On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 at 22:37, Nick Desaulniers <ndesaulniers@google.com> wrote:

> Hi Vishal,
> Last night's run had a few HTTP 404's where the build.log files
> weren't produced, example:
> https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/continuous-integration2/runs/3767134165?check_suite_focus=true
>
> download_url: https://builds.tuxbuild.com/1yuAt3oatFT1XZifxO2YoBUadf4/
>
> expected the log file to be at
> https://builds.tuxbuild.com/1yuAt3oatFT1XZifxO2YoBUadf4/build.log
>
> --
> Thanks,
> ~Nick Desaulniers

* Re: missing build.log files
@ 2021-10-01 17:47   ` Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2021-10-01 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vishal Bhoj; +Cc: llvm, tuxsuite, Sedat Dilek

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 10:21 AM Vishal Bhoj <vishal.bhoj@linaro.org> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> I saw the build failures today morning. These builds try to apply
> patches and fail to apply them and hence the build is marked as
> failed. This info is available in build logs and also as part of
> "status_message" field in the build.json file saved by tuxsuite cli
> (--json-out option).

That makes sense; I was trolling our build logs because Sedat noticed
a patch we were carrying made it to mainline. I went to check and see
what the failure would look like in our CI when a patch fails to
apply.  We want it to fail loudly, for sure, but we may need to update
our client to make it clearer what the failure was.  We can add code
to check the "status_message" isn't "Unable to apply kernel patch"
before trying to fetch the build logs.

> The build.log is generated from tuxmake and since the patching itself
> failed, a build.log was not generated. I have opened a bug to track
> this issue to publish the build.log:
> https://gitlab.com/Linaro/tuxsuite/-/issues/138

Ah, or if we just always had the log that would be good, too.

> Regards,
> Vishal
>

> On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 at 22:37, Nick Desaulniers <ndesaulniers@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Vishal,
> > Last night's run had a few HTTP 404's where the build.log files
> > weren't produced, example:
> > https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/continuous-integration2/runs/3767134165?check_suite_focus=true
> >
> > download_url: https://builds.tuxbuild.com/1yuAt3oatFT1XZifxO2YoBUadf4/
> >
> > expected the log file to be at
> > https://builds.tuxbuild.com/1yuAt3oatFT1XZifxO2YoBUadf4/build.log
> >
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > ~Nick Desaulniers

~Nick Desaulniers

* Re: missing build.log files
@ 2021-10-06 13:05     ` Vishal Bhoj
From: Vishal Bhoj @ 2021-10-06 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Desaulniers; +Cc: llvm, tuxsuite, Sedat Dilek

Hi Nick,

On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 at 23:18, Nick Desaulniers <ndesaulniers@google.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 10:21 AM Vishal Bhoj <vishal.bhoj@linaro.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Nick,
> >
> > I saw the build failures today morning. These builds try to apply
> > patches and fail to apply them and hence the build is marked as
> > failed. This info is available in build logs and also as part of
> > "status_message" field in the build.json file saved by tuxsuite cli
> > (--json-out option).
>
> That makes sense; I was trolling our build logs because Sedat noticed
> a patch we were carrying made it to mainline. I went to check and see
> what the failure would look like in our CI when a patch fails to
> apply.  We want it to fail loudly, for sure, but we may need to update
> our client to make it clearer what the failure was.  We can add code
> to check the "status_message" isn't "Unable to apply kernel patch"
> before trying to fetch the build logs.
>

> > The build.log is generated from tuxmake and since the patching itself
> > failed, a build.log was not generated. I have opened a bug to track
> > this issue to publish the build.log:
> > https://gitlab.com/Linaro/tuxsuite/-/issues/138
>
> Ah, or if we just always had the log that would be good, too.

We now publish build.log with "git quiltimport" output for all patched
builds. Here is an example build:
https://builds.tuxbuild.com/1yl8XNzEt3MytISR7Lh3gV7ivDX/config

> > Regards,
> > Vishal
> >

> > On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 at 22:37, Nick Desaulniers <ndesaulniers@google.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Vishal,
> > > Last night's run had a few HTTP 404's where the build.log files
> > > weren't produced, example:
> > > https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/continuous-integration2/runs/3767134165?check_suite_focus=true
> > >
> > > download_url: https://builds.tuxbuild.com/1yuAt3oatFT1XZifxO2YoBUadf4/
> > >
> > > expected the log file to be at
> > > https://builds.tuxbuild.com/1yuAt3oatFT1XZifxO2YoBUadf4/build.log
> > >
> > > --
> > > Thanks,
> > > ~Nick Desaulniers
>

> --
> Thanks,
> ~Nick Desaulniers

* Re: missing build.log files
@ 2021-10-06 13:23       ` Vishal Bhoj
From: Vishal Bhoj @ 2021-10-06 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Desaulniers; +Cc: llvm, tuxsuite, Sedat Dilek

On Wed, 6 Oct 2021 at 18:35, Vishal Bhoj <vishal.bhoj@linaro.org> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>

> On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 at 23:18, Nick Desaulniers <ndesaulniers@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 10:21 AM Vishal Bhoj <vishal.bhoj@linaro.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Nick,
> > >
> > > I saw the build failures today morning. These builds try to apply
> > > patches and fail to apply them and hence the build is marked as
> > > failed. This info is available in build logs and also as part of
> > > "status_message" field in the build.json file saved by tuxsuite cli
> > > (--json-out option).
> >
> > That makes sense; I was trolling our build logs because Sedat noticed
> > a patch we were carrying made it to mainline. I went to check and see
> > what the failure would look like in our CI when a patch fails to
> > apply.  We want it to fail loudly, for sure, but we may need to update
> > our client to make it clearer what the failure was.  We can add code
> > to check the "status_message" isn't "Unable to apply kernel patch"
> > before trying to fetch the build logs.
> >

> > > The build.log is generated from tuxmake and since the patching itself
> > > failed, a build.log was not generated. I have opened a bug to track
> > > this issue to publish the build.log:
> > > https://gitlab.com/Linaro/tuxsuite/-/issues/138
> >
> > Ah, or if we just always had the log that would be good, too.
>
> We now publish build.log with "git quiltimport" output for all patched
> builds. Here is an example build:
> https://builds.tuxbuild.com/1yl8XNzEt3MytISR7Lh3gV7ivDX/config

Sorry for the wrong link. Here is how the build.log would look:
https://builds.tuxbuild.com/1z8Lj56Txf3Ibe0tfVlobPFuU39/build.log
https://builds.tuxbuild.com/1z8Lj56Txf3Ibe0tfVlobPFuU39/

> > > Regards,
> > > Vishal

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > ~Nick Desaulniers

* Re: missing build.log files
@ 2021-10-06 22:00         ` Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2021-10-06 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vishal Bhoj; +Cc: llvm, tuxsuite, Sedat Dilek, Nathan Chancellor

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 6:24 AM Vishal Bhoj <vishal.bhoj@linaro.org> wrote:

> Sorry for the wrong link. Here is how the build.log would look:
> https://builds.tuxbuild.com/1z8Lj56Txf3Ibe0tfVlobPFuU39/build.log
> https://builds.tuxbuild.com/1z8Lj56Txf3Ibe0tfVlobPFuU39/

LGTM, thanks Vishal!
~Nick Desaulniers