* Proposal for removing legacy code update services
@ 2019-04-03  3:48 Lei YU
From: Lei YU @ 2019-04-03  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

Hi All,

With 3ba97559e, OpenBMC supports PNOR code update by
org.open_power.Software.Host.Updater.service, with the steps described in
[host-code-update.md][1]

And before that OpenBMC already supports BMC code update by
xyz.openbmc_project.Software.BMC.Updater.service as well, with the steps
described in [ubi-code-update.md][2]

So it's time to remove the legacy services that could be replaced:
- org.openbmc.control.BmcFlash.service
- org.openbmc.control.Flash.service
- org.openbmc.managers.Download.service

What do you think?

Thanks!

[1]: https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/code-update/host-code-update.md
[2]: https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/code-update/ubi-code-update.md

* Re: Proposal for removing legacy code update services
@ 2019-04-03 15:32 ` Andrew Geissler
From: Andrew Geissler @ 2019-04-03 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lei YU; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 10:48 PM Lei YU <mine260309@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> With 3ba97559e, OpenBMC supports PNOR code update by
> org.open_power.Software.Host.Updater.service, with the steps described in
> [host-code-update.md][1]
>
> And before that OpenBMC already supports BMC code update by
> xyz.openbmc_project.Software.BMC.Updater.service as well, with the steps
> described in [ubi-code-update.md][2]
>
> So it's time to remove the legacy services that could be replaced:
> - org.openbmc.control.BmcFlash.service
> - org.openbmc.control.Flash.service
> - org.openbmc.managers.Download.service
>
> What do you think?

Sounds good to me! Get some more python applications out of our images and
makes it easier to have standard CI tests for all machines.

@ 2019-05-08  3:45   ` Lei YU
From: Lei YU @ 2019-05-08  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Geissler; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

The services are being removed at:
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/meta-phosphor/+/21208

The related docs are being updated at:
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/21209
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/21210
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/21211

Leave comments there if you have any concerns.

@ 2019-05-08  8:44 ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2019-05-08  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lei YU; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 at 03:49, Lei YU <mine260309@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> With 3ba97559e, OpenBMC supports PNOR code update by
> org.open_power.Software.Host.Updater.service, with the steps described in
> [host-code-update.md][1]
>
> And before that OpenBMC already supports BMC code update by
> xyz.openbmc_project.Software.BMC.Updater.service as well, with the steps
> described in [ubi-code-update.md][2]
>
> So it's time to remove the legacy services that could be replaced:
> - org.openbmc.control.BmcFlash.service
> - org.openbmc.control.Flash.service
> - org.openbmc.managers.Download.service
>
> What do you think?

To clarify, this only affects the updating of the PNOR/BIOS, and not the BMC?

Cheers,

Joel

* Re: Proposal for removing legacy code update services
@ 2019-05-08  8:48   ` Lei YU
From: Lei YU @ 2019-05-08  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Stanley; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

> To clarify, this only affects the updating of the PNOR/BIOS, and not the BMC?

No, this affects BMC update as well.
With https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/meta-phosphor/+/21208,
the APIs in /org/openbmc/control/flash/bmc will be dropped.

BMC code update shall use the APIs in /xyz/openbmc_project/software instead.

* Re: Proposal for removing legacy code update services
@ 2019-05-08  8:55     ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2019-05-08  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lei YU; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Wed, 8 May 2019 at 08:48, Lei YU <mine260309@gmail.com> wrote:

> > To clarify, this only affects the updating of the PNOR/BIOS, and not the BMC?
>
> No, this affects BMC update as well.
> With https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/meta-phosphor/+/21208,
> the APIs in /org/openbmc/control/flash/bmc will be dropped.
>
> BMC code update shall use the APIs in /xyz/openbmc_project/software instead.

Okay.

Does it affect the on-device update method of putting images in
/run/initramfs and rebooting?

* Re: Proposal for removing legacy code update services
@ 2019-05-08  8:58       ` Lei YU
From: Lei YU @ 2019-05-08  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Stanley; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

> Does it affect the on-device update method of putting images in
> /run/initramfs and rebooting?

No, it doesn't.
You could still update code by putting images in /run/initramfs and reboot.

* Re: Proposal for removing legacy code update services
@ 2019-05-08  9:03         ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2019-05-08  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lei YU; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Wed, 8 May 2019 at 08:58, Lei YU <mine260309@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Does it affect the on-device update method of putting images in
> > /run/initramfs and rebooting?
>
> No, it doesn't.
> You could still update code by putting images in /run/initramfs and reboot.

Great! I checked op-test, and it is already using the
/xyz/openbmc_project/software API.

+1 from me.

Cheers,

Joel