* [meta-raspberrypi] Building rpi-test-image for Pi3 64 bit
@ 2017-04-28 16:01 Luca Carlon
From: Luca Carlon @ 2017-04-28 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello,
I'm trying to build rpi-test-image for Raspberry Pi 3 64 bit but I'm
getting this error: https://pastebin.com/rYJ0PL7h. It seems it is looking
for a file that is not there, and I don't see it in the linux repo either:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/tree/53460a0a50f3dd5e60266e945d0ac794ce0eca77/arch/arm64/boot/dts
.

The same build seems to succeed for machine raspberrypi2 and raspberrypi3,
instead. Any idea what I may be doing wrong?
Thank you.

Luca

* Re: [meta-raspberrypi] Building rpi-test-image for Pi3 64 bit
@ 2017-04-28 16:13 ` Andrea Galbusera
From: Andrea Galbusera @ 2017-04-28 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Carlon; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 6:01 PM, Luca Carlon <carlon.luca@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to build rpi-test-image for Raspberry Pi 3 64 bit but I'm
> getting this error: https://pastebin.com/rYJ0PL7h. It seems it is looking
> for a file that is not there, and I don't see it in the linux repo either:
> https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/tree/53460a0a50f3dd5e60266e945d0ac7
> 94ce0eca77/arch/arm64/boot/dts.
>
> The same build seems to succeed for machine raspberrypi2 and raspberrypi3,
> instead. Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

Could you please share your layer config and revisions? Up to yesterday, I
built from master (poky and meta-raspberrypi) with no error with
MACHINE=raspberrypi3-64

* Re: [meta-raspberrypi] Building rpi-test-image for Pi3 64 bit
@ 2017-04-28 16:33   ` Luca Carlon
From: Luca Carlon @ 2017-04-28 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Galbusera; +Cc: yocto

Then it means I'm doing something wrong, I'm a beginner with yocto at the
moment. I hope this is what you are asking me:

local.conf: https://pastebin.com/u6DjsNfC
bblayers.conf: https://pastebin.com/a27eCrkG

and revisions:

meta-raspberrypi: 28d4404f89eb59d406b4976c0e3f5ca19137ba74
poky: 924e576b8930fd2268d85f0b151e5f68a3c2afce
meta-openembedded: fe5c83312de11e80b85680ef237f8acb04b4b26e
meta-qt5: 3601fd2c5306ac6d5d0d536e0be8cbb90da9b4c1
meta-rpi: af19c1ccb2d863e41d863175a5c21a73eb682f79

I guess some of these layers are unnecessary (I was trying to build a
different image at the beginning), but I assumed they should not hurt,
maybe I'm wrong?
Thank you for your help.

Luca

@ 2017-04-28 17:00     ` Andrea Galbusera
From: Andrea Galbusera @ 2017-04-28 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Carlon; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 6:33 PM, Luca Carlon <carlon.luca@gmail.com> wrote:

> Then it means I'm doing something wrong, I'm a beginner with yocto at the
> moment. I hope this is what you are asking me:
>
> local.conf: https://pastebin.com/u6DjsNfC
> bblayers.conf: https://pastebin.com/a27eCrkG
>
> and revisions:
>
> meta-raspberrypi: 28d4404f89eb59d406b4976c0e3f5ca19137ba74
> poky: 924e576b8930fd2268d85f0b151e5f68a3c2afce
> meta-openembedded: fe5c83312de11e80b85680ef237f8acb04b4b26e
> meta-qt5: 3601fd2c5306ac6d5d0d536e0be8cbb90da9b4c1
> meta-rpi: af19c1ccb2d863e41d863175a5c21a73eb682f79
>
> I guess some of these layers are unnecessary (I was trying to build a
> different image at the beginning), but I assumed they should not hurt,
> maybe I'm wrong?
> Thank you for your help.

Uhmmm... never put meta-rpi into the mix but, as far as I can see from your
logs, building the kernel fails for trying to build bcm2708-rpi-0-w.dtb
which should not be in the list defined by KERNEL_DEVICETREE variable for
MACHINE=raspberrypi3-64. My suggestion is to start with the simplest layer
stack you can use to build an image for 64 bit RPi3 which includes poky and
meta-raspberrypi (maybe meta-oe is required also). Then I'd try with
core-image-minimal and then scale up to other more featured images...

* Re: [meta-raspberrypi] Building rpi-test-image for Pi3 64 bit
@ 2017-04-29  0:39       ` Luca Carlon
From: Luca Carlon @ 2017-04-29  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Galbusera; +Cc: yocto

Hello,
thank you very much for your advice. It seems I can build both a minimal
image and rpi-basic-image. I would like to test to see if the Pi is able to
boot with these images but it seems that the images directory does not
contain any sdimg file. By reading
https://github.com/agherzan/meta-raspberrypi and
https://github.com/Nuand/bladeRF/wiki/Creating-Linux-based-Embedded-System-Images-with-Yocto
it seems I should find a sdimg file to flash to the sdcard. I suppose this
image file contains both the boot and rootfs partitions. But it seems I do
not see this image at all, this is a list of what I can see in
tmp/deploy/images/raspberrypi3-64: https://pastebin.com/8XsRHzUY. I see the
rootfs filesystem that I can extract in a partition, but not the boot
partition the Pi needs. Maybe I'm missing some line in the conf files?
Thank you!

Luca

@ 2017-04-29  3:13 ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2017-04-29  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Carlon; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Luca Carlon <carlon.luca@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to build rpi-test-image for Raspberry Pi 3 64 bit but I'm getting
> this error: https://pastebin.com/rYJ0PL7h. It seems it is looking for a file
> that is not there, and I don't see it in the linux repo either:

You could try adding the following to your local.conf:

    KERNEL_DEVICETREE_remove = "bcm2708-rpi-0-w.dtb"

bcm2708-rpi-0-w.dtb is the device tree to add raspi0-wifi support.
This failure means the kernel you're using hasn't yet been updated to
include this device yet.

See commit 66e0e37ce3831e1a3511761dffb03c8000e9d7f7 of
meta-raspberrypi
https://github.com/agherzan/meta-raspberrypi/commit/66e0e37ce3831e1a3511761dffb03c8000e9d7f7

* Re: [meta-raspberrypi] Building rpi-test-image for Pi3 64 bit
@ 2017-04-29  7:40         ` Andrea Galbusera
From: Andrea Galbusera @ 2017-04-29  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Carlon; +Cc: yocto

On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 2:39 AM, Luca Carlon <carlon.luca@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> thank you very much for your advice. It seems I can build both a minimal
> image and rpi-basic-image. I would like to test to see if the Pi is able to
> boot with these images but it seems that the images directory does not
> contain any sdimg file. By reading https://github.com/agherzan/
> meta-raspberrypi and https://github.com/Nuand/bladeRF/wiki/Creating-Linux-
> based-Embedded-System-Images-with-Yocto it seems I should find a sdimg
> file to flash to the sdcard. I suppose this image file contains both the
> boot and rootfs partitions. But it seems I do not see this image at all,
> this is a list of what I can see in tmp/deploy/images/raspberrypi3-64:
> https://pastebin.com/8XsRHzUY. I see the rootfs filesystem that I can
> extract in a partition, but not the boot partition the Pi needs. Maybe I'm
> missing some line in the conf files?

If you are using the local.conf you previously posted, the line:

IMAGE_FSTYPES = "tar.xz"

is overriding default configuration from rpi-base.inc in meta-raspberrypi
which is:

IMAGE_FSTYPES ?= "tar.bz2 ext3 rpi-sdimg"

You can also consider using wic image format to generate a flashable image
(see Yocto documentation on how to do that).

* Re: [meta-raspberrypi] Building rpi-test-image for Pi3 64 bit
@ 2017-05-03 12:26           ` Luca Carlon
From: Luca Carlon @ 2017-05-03 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Galbusera; +Cc: yocto

Hello,
thank you for your help. I followed your advice and I'm now able to build
rpi-test-image for raspberrypi2 and raspberrypi3. When I try
raspberrypi3-64 instead I'm getting a few errors. I fixed one build error,
but then I got: https://pastebin.com/pL2mei9s. It seems that those libs
were not added to the sysroot for some reason. I think those come from the
userspace package probably. As it seems to work for the other machines I'm
trying to determine what difference raspberrypi3-64 is introducing but for
the moment I'm failing. Any idea what is causing this error? Are you able
to build rpi-test-image? rpi-basic-image seems to work but not
rpi-test-image, which includes omxplayer and other libs that I need like
libEGL, libGLESv2, libopenmax etc...

These are my current conf files:

https://pastebin.com/LJnRfDUj
https://pastebin.com/axt9RLQS

Any idea why those libs cannot be found?
Thank you!
Regards.

Luca

@ 2017-05-03 12:35             ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2017-05-03 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Galbusera, Luca Carlon; +Cc: yocto

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 8:28 AM Luca Carlon <carlon.luca@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> thank you for your help. I followed your advice and I'm now able to build
> rpi-test-image for raspberrypi2 and raspberrypi3. When I try
> raspberrypi3-64 instead I'm getting a few errors. I fixed one build error,
> but then I got: https://pastebin.com/pL2mei9s. It seems that those libs
> were not added to the sysroot for some reason. I think those come from the
> userspace package probably. As it seems to work for the other machines I'm
> trying to determine what difference raspberrypi3-64 is introducing but for
> the moment I'm failing. Any idea what is causing this error? Are you able
> to build rpi-test-image? rpi-basic-image seems to work but not
> rpi-test-image, which includes omxplayer and other libs that I need like
> libEGL, libGLESv2, libopenmax etc...
>
> These are my current conf files:
>
> https://pastebin.com/LJnRfDUj
> https://pastebin.com/axt9RLQS
>
> Any idea why those libs cannot be found?
> Thank you!
> Regards.

I don't know if anyone here has got GUI up with rpi64 using yocto yet
however you could try to use vc4 graphics drivers by adding "vc4graphic" to
MACHINE_FEATURES

@ 2017-05-03 16:19               ` Luca Carlon
From: Luca Carlon @ 2017-05-03 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

What I'd like to be able to do is setup is a 64bit system including the
libraries from the userland repo: https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland.
I suspect vc4graphic is something different, isn't it?
But maybe you're right and those libs will never be built, as I see that
according to https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland/pull/347 not
everything builds in userland. In the recipe I however see that the ARM64
macro is defined and so I'm asking myself which libraries are currently
supported and which are not. Anyone who knows?
Thank you!

Luca

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 2:35 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 8:28 AM Luca Carlon <carlon.luca@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> thank you for your help. I followed your advice and I'm now able to build
>> rpi-test-image for raspberrypi2 and raspberrypi3. When I try
>> raspberrypi3-64 instead I'm getting a few errors. I fixed one build error,
>> but then I got: https://pastebin.com/pL2mei9s. It seems that those libs
>> were not added to the sysroot for some reason. I think those come from the
>> userspace package probably. As it seems to work for the other machines I'm
>> trying to determine what difference raspberrypi3-64 is introducing but for
>> the moment I'm failing. Any idea what is causing this error? Are you able
>> to build rpi-test-image? rpi-basic-image seems to work but not
>> rpi-test-image, which includes omxplayer and other libs that I need like
>> libEGL, libGLESv2, libopenmax etc...
>>
>> These are my current conf files:
>>
>> https://pastebin.com/LJnRfDUj
>> https://pastebin.com/axt9RLQS
>>
>> Any idea why those libs cannot be found?
>> Thank you!
>> Regards.
>>

> I don't know if anyone here has got GUI up with rpi64 using yocto yet
> however you could try to use vc4 graphics drivers by adding "vc4graphic" to
> MACHINE_FEATURES
>

>> Luca
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 9:40 AM, Andrea Galbusera <gizero@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> If you are using the local.conf you previously posted, the line:
>>>
>>> IMAGE_FSTYPES = "tar.xz"
>>>
>>> is overriding default configuration from rpi-base.inc in
>>> meta-raspberrypi which is:
>>>
>>> IMAGE_FSTYPES ?= "tar.bz2 ext3 rpi-sdimg"
>>>
>>> You can also consider using wic image format to generate a flashable
>>> image (see Yocto documentation on how to do that).
>>>

>> --

* Re: ***SPAM*** Re: [meta-raspberrypi] Building rpi-test-image for Pi3 64 bit
@ 2017-05-04  3:46                 ` Herve Jourdain
From: Herve Jourdain @ 2017-05-04  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Luca Carlon', 'Khem Raj'; +Cc: yocto

Hi Luca,

The userland libraries do not support 64 bits. It’s not just a problem of compiling the libraries with a 64bits compiler, it’s because they interface with some FW in the Videocore IV that supports only 32 bits addressing, and that communicates with the userland through 32 bits “pointers” (at least for the HW decoding parts).
And this is proprietary FW, that AFAIK will not be rebuilt to support 64 bits.

So the only thing that should be possible in 64 bits is to use the VC4 driver (open source), and disable the userland. The VC4 driver works fine, however you lose the HW decoding capabilities that the userland provides (H.264/MPEG2, + some audio).

As a consequence, anything that uses those or other userland features (gst-omx/omxplayer/…) can’t be compiled or run in 64bits.

What should work, though, is Wayland in 64bits using VC4 driver (at least, I had that working with a previous kernel version). But anything playing AV will have to resort back to using SW decode, AFAIK.

Cheers,
Herve

@ 2017-05-04  6:52                   ` Luca Carlon
From: Luca Carlon @ 2017-05-04  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herve Jourdain; +Cc: yocto

Hello,
thank you very much for your answer. I read about the fw limitations but I
couldn't find what exactly is working and what is not. This explains the
error that I was getting.
Thank you for your help!

Luca

@ 2017-05-04 12:39                 ` Andrea Galbusera