* [tpm2] TPM2.0 chip access restriction
@ 2018-07-11 12:24 John Brown
From: John Brown @ 2018-07-11 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpm2

Hello all,

I do not know how to approach the issue of access restriction to the tpm2.0
chip.

I would like to use tpm chip to store private keys and would like to be
sure that the key can be only used by apps that I allow to do it and I
think that this would increase the security level of the whole system. In
TPM2.0 chip the private key is hidden, but if every application is allowed
to perform operations on this key and (for example) the attacker would be
able to run some malicious application as normal user, he can use it to
receive from remote device some data, perform operations on the private
key, and send the result back. In the result the remote device would behave
as it would have the private key. And many other scenarios are possible. So
what is the correct way to restrict the access to the TPM chip?

- I know that every key can have a password to protect it but in that case
there is a problem where to store this password in a secure way that only
allowed apps can read it.

- if an app use tss it talks to abrmd via d-bus and some pipes (am i
right?). Can the d-bus be used somehow to restrict access to tpm2.0 chip?
Can this pipes be used in a malicious way?

- I also know that PCRs can be used during boot to allow private key access
when the system is not corrupted. But this does not prevent the malicous
private key usage when the attacker put the application to already booted
device with key unlocked.

I am already lost in the dark with this. Can somebody put some light on
this issue?

Best regards,

John