* supplier workflow
@ 2018-11-17  8:34 Robert Berger
From: Robert Berger @ 2018-11-17  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi,

I came across a scenario, which does not seem too strange, but I am not
sure how this can be handled with OE/YP. (just nasty hacks with SSTATE)

1) Company A provides an SDK to to Company B - no source code provided
2) Company B provides a "binary" back to Company A - no source code povided
3) Company A integrates this "binary" back into some project and
bitbakes the image

Ideally Company B does not just provide a "binary" executable/library,
but a package e.g. ipk.

Company A could provide an extensible SDK and Company B could create a
package of their stuff with it.

Now comes the question: "Is it possible for Company A to add a package
(no source code available) back into a project and bitbake this?
If yes, how?"

The advantage would be that Company B would be forced to bitbake it
(with the additional checks done by OE/YP) and not just compile
something somehow with a "classic" SDK and ship it.

Regards,

Robert

* Re: supplier workflow
@ 2018-11-17  9:44 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2018-11-17  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can put the ipk file location directly into SRC_URI. Bitbake will
unpack it without further tricks. Then just copy the contents in
do_install().

Alex
On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 at 09:35, Robert Berger
<yocto.user.mailinglist@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I came across a scenario, which does not seem too strange, but I am not
> sure how this can be handled with OE/YP. (just nasty hacks with SSTATE)
>
> 1) Company A provides an SDK to to Company B - no source code provided
> 2) Company B provides a "binary" back to Company A - no source code povided
> 3) Company A integrates this "binary" back into some project and
> bitbakes the image
>
> Ideally Company B does not just provide a "binary" executable/library,
> but a package e.g. ipk.
>
> Company A could provide an extensible SDK and Company B could create a
> package of their stuff with it.
>
> Now comes the question: "Is it possible for Company A to add a package
> (no source code available) back into a project and bitbake this?
> If yes, how?"
>
> The advantage would be that Company B would be forced to bitbake it
> (with the additional checks done by OE/YP) and not just compile
> something somehow with a "classic" SDK and ship it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert

* Re: supplier workflow
@ 2018-11-17 15:30 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2018-11-17 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Berger; +Cc: Yocto Project

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 12:35 AM Robert Berger
<yocto.user.mailinglist@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I came across a scenario, which does not seem too strange, but I am not
> sure how this can be handled with OE/YP. (just nasty hacks with SSTATE)
>
> 1) Company A provides an SDK to to Company B - no source code provided
> 2) Company B provides a "binary" back to Company A - no source code povided
> 3) Company A integrates this "binary" back into some project and
> bitbakes the image
>
> Ideally Company B does not just provide a "binary" executable/library,
> but a package e.g. ipk.
>
> Company A could provide an extensible SDK and Company B could create a
> package of their stuff with it.
>
> Now comes the question: "Is it possible for Company A to add a package
> (no source code available) back into a project and bitbake this?
> If yes, how?"

there is some help if you inherit bin_package