* distri: 20x faster initramfs (initrd) from scratch
@ 2020-01-21 17:07 Michael Stapelberg
       [not found] ` <CANnVG6nFsnvva+qoQHJF+YY6Y3q46-C6tA742fMAkZFB3QFubg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Stapelberg @ 2020-01-21 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: initramfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hey,

I just published a blog post about a custom proof-of-concept initramfs
generator (minitrd):

https://michael.stapelberg.ch/posts/2020-01-21-initramfs-from-scratch-golang/

This demonstrates that there is still a whole bunch of optimization
potential in existing initramfs generators such as dracut :)

Thanks,
Best regards,
Michael

* Re: distri: 20x faster initramfs (initrd) from scratch
       [not found] ` <CANnVG6nFsnvva+qoQHJF+YY6Y3q46-C6tA742fMAkZFB3QFubg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-01-29  9:54   ` Martin Wilck
       [not found]     ` <7212371cedf396e118d6b1a712b7d5aa2e928afe.camel-IBi9RG/b67k@public.gmane.org>
From: Martin Wilck @ 2020-01-29  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Stapelberg, initramfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Tue, 2020-01-21 at 18:07 +0100, Michael Stapelberg wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I just published a blog post about a custom proof-of-concept
> initramfs
> generator (minitrd):
>
> https://michael.stapelberg.ch/posts/2020-01-21-initramfs-from-scratch-golang/
>
> This demonstrates that there is still a whole bunch of optimization
> potential in existing initramfs generators such as dracut :)

Cool, but I don't think it has big chances to be adopted in larger
mainstream distros unless you add some extension/plugin functionality,
like dracut's modules.d. Such plugins should be easy to write and
maintain.

Martin

@ 2020-01-29 12:59       ` Michael Stapelberg
From: Michael Stapelberg @ 2020-01-29 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Wilck; +Cc: initramfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

I agree, and getting minitramfs adopted anywhere is not my goal at all
:) See section https://michael.stapelberg.ch/posts/2020-01-21-initramfs-from-scratch-golang/#minitrd-outside-of-distri