* [sphinx] updates as of Sep 10th.
@ 2020-09-10 22:03 Nicolas Dechesne
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nicolas Dechesne @ 2020-09-10 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docs

hi there,

some more updates on our Sphinx migration task. It turned out to be a
rather huge task.. "Never ask engineers to make estimates" applies quite
well here ;)

I think we are getting close to where we wanted to be. As you should know
by now, we are planning to switch for 3.2, and the sphinx migration is kind
of blocking M3 right now. Richard and I have spent quite a bit of time on
the docs lately to make the final push.

Any help in this last mile would be much appreciated.. The 'last mile' is
to review each doc and finalize what's left which was not converted
properly by pandoc, nor by any of the regexp find/replace we've done..
Unfortunately this last step is manual and time consuming.

We are planning to merge the sphinx branch in yocto-docs and bitbake repo
any time now. We haven't removed the docbook files yet, we will do the
removal once we claim to be done.

In terms of publishing the docs, our plan is to have a brand new YP docs
'website'. On that website, we will publish docs for each release/branch,
and it will be easy to navigate between versions.

We have also created 'transition' pages in Sphinx for docs from all YP
releases from 0.9 to 3.1.x. For each release, we have a 'static' page with
links to the DocBook HTML manuals. So that the YP docs website will be the
*only* place to look for our docs moving forward.

In each of the 2 sphinx branches, we've done the following:
1. add makefile / sphinx boilerplate
2. used pandoc to convert all .xml into .rst. it's a gross conversion.. far
from perfect...
3. added a bunch of commits to fix up what's left from the conversion
(images, links, ..)
4. Finally we are doing a manual review of each file and fixing the last
things. At this point, what's the most painful is that the 'code-block'
sections are not converted automatically.

If anybody has any cycle now, we need to finish #4. The current status is
that:
* brief-yoctoprojectqs/* is done.
* bitbake user manual is half done, and I am doing it
* bsp-guide/*: i started it, and will finish
* ref-manual/*: RP is on it.
* there are plenty of warnings when we build, i would like to get rid of
them all!

Anything else is work that remains to be done. Before starting anything,
please send a quick email here to let everyone know, to avoid duplication.
If you have any improvement, please share your patches, I will take them
into the sphinx/master branch. And I will continue to work on the remaining
files that no one would pick.

And since a picture is worth a thousand words...

The new doc website is here:
https://docs.yoctoproject.org/

If you want to help, please review the "WIP" patches on
https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/yocto-docs/log/?h=sphinx
And pick one of the manuals which are left! It is not straightforward to
get started, I have to warn you.. don't hesitate to ask me questions by
email or on irc (ndec) if you need any help.

And as a reminder, instructions to build can be found here:
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Documentation_Sphinx

cheers
nico