* UDP jumbo packet loss on T2080RDB and out-of-order receive
@ 2015-11-10 16:17 Clemens Eisserer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Clemens Eisserer @ 2015-11-10 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

Hi,

I am trying to receive a stream of 9k jumbo frames on one of our
T2080RDBs (simply using recvfrom), however even a very low rate
(12MB/s on average) frequently UDP packages are lost. Furthermore the
packets are received out-of-order e.g. :0, 8, 1, 2, 10, 3, 11, 4, 5,
6, .....
While receiving the stream, I see an equal number of interrupts on
QMAN-Portal0 through QMAN-Portal-7.
PF_PACKET / PACKET_RX_RING for packet capturing also doesn't seem to
work - is this unsupported by DPAA?

So to summerize - any idea what could cause the following issues:
* UDP jumbo packet loss
* UDP jumbo packets are received out-of-order

Thank you in advance, Clemens

* Re: UDP jumbo packet loss on T2080RDB and out-of-order receive
@ 2015-11-10 21:29 ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2015-11-10 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clemens Eisserer; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to receive a stream of 9k jumbo frames on one of our
> T2080RDBs (simply using recvfrom), however even a very low rate
> (12MB/s on average) frequently UDP packages are lost. Furthermore the
> packets are received out-of-order e.g. :0, 8, 1, 2, 10, 3, 11, 4, 5,
> 6, .....
> While receiving the stream, I see an equal number of interrupts on
> QMAN-Portal0 through QMAN-Portal-7.
> PF_PACKET / PACKET_RX_RING for packet capturing also doesn't seem to
> work - is this unsupported by DPAA?
>
> So to summerize - any idea what could cause the following issues:
> * UDP jumbo packet loss
> * UDP jumbo packets are received out-of-order

What kernel version is this?

* Re: UDP jumbo packet loss on T2080RDB and out-of-order receive
@ 2015-11-11  2:10 ` Luo Zhenhua
From: Luo Zhenhua @ 2015-11-11  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clemens Eisserer; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hi Clemens,

Which SDK version(branch) do you use? Meanwhile you can try to post the proboem in https://community.freescale.com/.

Best Regards,

Zhenhua

@ 2015-11-11  2:43 ` Bob Cochran
From: Bob Cochran @ 2015-11-11  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clemens Eisserer, meta-freescale

On 11/10/2015 11:17 AM, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to receive a stream of 9k jumbo frames on one of our
> T2080RDBs (simply using recvfrom), however even a very low rate
> (12MB/s on average) frequently UDP packages are lost. Furthermore the
> packets are received out-of-order e.g. :0, 8, 1, 2, 10, 3, 11, 4, 5,
> 6, .....
> While receiving the stream, I see an equal number of interrupts on
> QMAN-Portal0 through QMAN-Portal-7.
> PF_PACKET / PACKET_RX_RING for packet capturing also doesn't seem to
> work - is this unsupported by DPAA?
>
> So to summerize - any idea what could cause the following issues:
> * UDP jumbo packet loss
> * UDP jumbo packets are received out-of-order
>
> Thank you in advance, Clemens

Tracing is implemented for the DPAA. If you haven't done it already, you
might want to enable it to get a better idea how each packet is being
handled.  Once you get it working, it's pretty easy to add some
additional fields and rebuild the kernel.

Events like dpa_rx_fd and dpa_tx_fd are supported and can be found in
the dpa source directory under drivers.

There is also a Freescale DPAA Packet Tool that offers a free trial.
It pretty much provides the same information as trace but with a GUI;
however, it might require a JTAG TAP ( that's how I use it ).

Bob

* Re: UDP jumbo packet loss on T2080RDB and out-of-order receive
@ 2015-11-11 15:26   ` Clemens Eisserer
From: Clemens Eisserer @ 2015-11-11 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luo Zhenhua, meta-freescale

Hi,

I was running the T2080RDB with SDK-1.6, after updating it to SDK-1.8
things improved:
- No frequent packet loss anymore
- PF_PACKET/RX_RING works :)

however:
- Packages are still received out-of-order
- Very high software interrupt rate (top reports 50% si)

Thanks for the pointer, I'll give the community forum a try.

Br, Clemens