* Advice needed for basic setup for home user
@ 2017-08-22 20:11 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2017-08-22 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Setup: Running openindian/hipster updated as of Aug 20 '17
Hardware: HP xw8600 - 2x Xeon  CPU X5450 @ 3.00GHz - 32 GB ram

I used cvs for several yrs before moving to git about yr ago.

In both cases I've barely scratched the surface with my usage.

I run 5-10 vbox vms' on this host with various OS's involved.
With each host, I've kept a local repo of some key OS rc files.
and a couple of hundred home made scripts.

They all follow the same pattern of setup, but over time each repo
becomes different from its cousins.

I've never taken the step of centralizing the assorted local git repos
into a central repo that keeps a branch or directory or whatever it
would be called of each local repo.

So that all the local repos would become a checked out module from the
central git repo.

Or at any rate, something along that line... not even sure how I would
set that up with git, but would like some overall advice about how to
do that. A step thru or an outline would be very useful.

* Re: Advice needed for basic setup for home user
@ 2017-08-23  5:13 ` Christian Couder
From: Christian Couder @ 2017-08-23  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: git

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 10:11 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> I run 5-10 vbox vms' on this host with various OS's involved.
> With each host, I've kept a local repo of some key OS rc files.
> and a couple of hundred home made scripts.
>
> They all follow the same pattern of setup, but over time each repo
> becomes different from its cousins.
>
> I've never taken the step of centralizing the assorted local git repos
> into a central repo that keeps a branch or directory or whatever it
> would be called of each local repo.

You should probably decide first how you want the local git repos to be merged.
The result would be quite different if you have a branch or if you
have a directory for each local repo.

Maybe tutorials or books can help you get more familiar with Git so
that you can decide based on what would be best for your use case.

My wild guess would be that a branch in the central repo for each of
the "master" branches of the local repos would be the way to go. But I
don't know your use case much and cannot suggest you to do that based
on a wild guess.

> So that all the local repos would become a checked out module from the
> central git repo.

Git doesn't know about "modules". It has "submodules" but this is yet
another different thing and I am not sure at all that it would help in
your case.

> Or at any rate, something along that line... not even sure how I would
> set that up with git, but would like some overall advice about how to
> do that. A step thru or an outline would be very useful.

As it is not clear what end result you want, it is difficult to help you.