* Doubts about netfilter + nftables and module
@ 2019-11-20 12:29 Elias Valea Peri
From: Elias Valea Peri @ 2019-11-20 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hi to all, we’re migrating our systems from netfilter + iptables to
netfilter + nftables.
We’re looking for information about which modules we want/need to load
for our needs and extensions we want to use.
Looking for documentation about, we aren't capable to find a
description of what does each module. For some modules, we see easily,
just by its filename, what does but for others it isn't easy.
We've downloaded our kernel sources, look for doc at netfilter.org,
www.kernel.org/doc, etc... without success.
Does anybody knows where we can find for each nf_*.ko, nfnetlink_*.ko,
nft_*.ko ... file the functionality/extension that implements each one
????

Thanks a lot for your help

Elias

* Re: Doubts about netfilter + nftables and module
@ 2019-11-21 13:59 ` Arturo Borrero Gonzalez
From: Arturo Borrero Gonzalez @ 2019-11-21 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elias Valea Peri; +Cc: netfilter

On 11/20/19 1:29 PM, Elias Valea Peri wrote:
> Hi to all, we’re migrating our systems from netfilter + iptables to
> netfilter + nftables.
> We’re looking for information about which modules we want/need to load
> for our needs and extensions we want to use.
> Looking for documentation about, we aren't capable to find a
> description of what does each module. For some modules, we see easily,
> just by its filename, what does but for others it isn't easy.
> We've downloaded our kernel sources, look for doc at netfilter.org,
> www.kernel.org/doc, etc... without success.
> Does anybody knows where we can find for each nf_*.ko, nfnetlink_*.ko,
> nft_*.ko ... file the functionality/extension that implements each one
> ????

In general, you have some description of each module at Kconfig files, for example:

https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/net/netfilter/Kconfig

The nf_tables framework is a bit different from x_tables. In x_tables each
target/match provided a very specific functionality that you may or may not find
interesting for your use case (and you could disable if not)

In nf_tables rules are composed of low level expressions each providing some
kind of functionality. Mots likely you won't find a 1:1 correspondence between a
given nft rule statement and a kernel module. Unless you know you are doing, I
would advice to enable all of the nft_ modules, to make sure the ruleset you
configure has the corresponding kernel support.

* Re: Doubts about netfilter + nftables and module
@ 2019-11-21 16:09   ` Elias Valea Peri
From: Elias Valea Peri @ 2019-11-21 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arturo Borrero Gonzalez; +Cc: netfilter

Thanks a lot Arturo, I will follow your advice.

¡Muchas gracias!