* Could phosphor-hwmon support peci-sensors
@ 2019-07-08 12:33 Duke Du (杜祥嘉)
From: Duke Du (杜祥嘉) @ 2019-07-08 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Hi All,
  I have some problems with phosphor-hwmon.
Could package phosphor-hwmon supports peci sensors such as cpu and dimm tempatures ?
If yes, could you give me some hints that how do I write configuration for peci sensors, please :).

Thanks.
Duke, Du

* Re: Could phosphor-hwmon support peci-sensors
@ 2019-07-08 17:52 ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2019-07-08 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Duke Du (杜祥嘉); +Cc: openbmc

On Mon, Jul 08, 2019 at 12:33:21PM +0000, Duke Du (杜祥嘉) wrote:
>Hi All,
>  I have some problems with phosphor-hwmon.
>Could package phosphor-hwmon supports peci sensors such as cpu and dimm tempatures ?
>If yes, could you give me some hints that how do I write configuration for peci sensors, please :).
>
>Thanks.
>Duke, Du

phosphor-hwmon should work with anything that implements the hwmon ABI.
So I think to make PECI sensors work with phosphor-hwmon, you need hwmon
drivers for PECI sensors.  I don't know if anyone is working on that.

I suspect the other sensor application - dbus-sensors supports PECI
just fine.  But I don't know how it works, if it can be used without
entity manager,  and/or if it can be run in parallel with
phosphor-hwmon.

* Re: Could phosphor-hwmon support peci-sensors
@ 2019-07-08 18:28   ` James Feist
       [not found]     ` <CAGaXSwZLrsg6WfKdfdWd4FFu4oLe=dj1rZM+jWmBiwf6+niPeA@mail.gmail.com>
From: James Feist @ 2019-07-08 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop, Duke Du (杜祥嘉); +Cc: openbmc, Jae Hyun Yoo

On 7/8/19 10:52 AM, Brad Bishop wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2019 at 12:33:21PM +0000, Duke Du (杜祥嘉) wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>  I have some problems with phosphor-hwmon.
>> Could package phosphor-hwmon supports peci sensors such as cpu and
>> dimm tempatures ?
>> If yes, could you give me some hints that how do I write configuration
>> for peci sensors, please :).
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Duke, Du
>
> phosphor-hwmon should work with anything that implements the hwmon ABI.
> So I think to make PECI sensors work with phosphor-hwmon, you need hwmon
> drivers for PECI sensors.  I don't know if anyone is working on that.
>
> I suspect the other sensor application - dbus-sensors supports PECI just
> fine.  But I don't know how it works, if it can be used without entity
> manager,  and/or if it can be run in parallel with phosphor-hwmon.

+ Jae, CPU Sensor Author

https://github.com/openbmc/dbus-sensors/blob/master/src/CPUSensorMain.cpp

CPU sensor currently supports PECI sensors
https://github.com/openbmc/dbus-sensors/blob/master/src/CPUSensor.cpp

https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/f861da89ed03f9ec556c5ed6ac819988c0c1f498/configurations/WFT%20Baseboard.json#L2181

It does require entity-manager currently, but it could be run in
parallel with phosphor-hwmon.

-James

@ 2019-07-09 11:33       ` Duke Du (杜祥嘉)
From: Duke Du (杜祥嘉) @ 2019-07-09 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bradleyb, james.feist; +Cc: openbmc

Hi Brad & James,
  Thanks for your reply, that's really helpful.

Thanks.
Duke, Du
----------
寄件者: Duke Du (杜祥嘉) <mailto:Duke.Du@quantatw.com>
Date: 2019年7月8日 週一 下午8:34
To: mailto:openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org <mailto:openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>

寄件者: Brad Bishop <mailto:bradleyb@fuzziesquirrel.com>
Date: 2019年7月9日 週二 上午1:54
To: Duke Du (杜祥嘉) <mailto:Duke.Du@quantatw.com>
Cc: mailto:openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org <mailto:openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>

寄件者: James Feist <mailto:james.feist@linux.intel.com>
Date: 2019年7月9日 週二 上午2:28
To: Brad Bishop <mailto:bradleyb@fuzziesquirrel.com>, Duke Du (杜祥嘉) <mailto:Duke.Du@quantatw.com>
Cc: mailto:openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org <mailto:openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>, Jae Hyun Yoo <mailto:jae.hyun.yoo@linux.intel.com>

@ 2019-07-09 20:20     ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2019-07-09 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Feist, Brad Bishop, Duke Du (杜祥嘉)
  Cc: openbmc, Jae Hyun Yoo

On 7/8/19, 11:29 AM, "openbmc on behalf of James Feist" <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com@lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of james.feist@linux.intel.com> wrote:

    On 7/8/19 10:52 AM, Brad Bishop wrote:
    > On Mon, Jul 08, 2019 at 12:33:21PM +0000, Duke Du (杜祥嘉) wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>  I have some problems with phosphor-hwmon.
    >> Could package phosphor-hwmon supports peci sensors such as cpu and
    >> dimm tempatures ?
    >> If yes, could you give me some hints that how do I write configuration
    >> for peci sensors, please :).
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> Duke, Du
    >
    > phosphor-hwmon should work with anything that implements the hwmon ABI.
    > So I think to make PECI sensors work with phosphor-hwmon, you need hwmon
    > drivers for PECI sensors.  I don't know if anyone is working on that.
    >
    > I suspect the other sensor application - dbus-sensors supports PECI just
    > fine.  But I don't know how it works, if it can be used without entity
    > manager,  and/or if it can be run in parallel with phosphor-hwmon.

    + Jae, CPU Sensor Author

    https://github.com/openbmc/dbus-sensors/blob/master/src/CPUSensorMain.cpp

    CPU sensor currently supports PECI sensors
    https://github.com/openbmc/dbus-sensors/blob/master/src/CPUSensor.cpp

    https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/f861da89ed03f9ec556c5ed6ac819988c0c1f498/configurations/WFT%20Baseboard.json#L2181

    It does require entity-manager currently, but it could be run in
    parallel with phosphor-hwmon.

There is peci driver along with hwmon peci driver available in openbmc linux kernel 5.3
which will take care of hwmon interface. And there are also peci-dimm and peci-cpu
driver to read cpu and dimm sensors. Once these drivers enabled, it sould work with
phosphor-hwmon without entity manager and dbus-sensors.

Regards
-Vijay

    -James

* Re: Could phosphor-hwmon support peci-sensors
@ 2019-07-23 19:02 ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2019-07-23 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Duke Du (杜祥嘉), james.feist; +Cc: openbmc

On 7/22/19, 2:50 AM, "openbmc on behalf of Duke Du (杜祥嘉)" <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com@lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of Duke.Du@quantatw.com> wrote:

    Hi James,
       I have some problems with cpusensor in package dbus-sensors. When I set temperatures of critical and warning high for DIMM is work, but Core is not. Could I set temperatures of critical and warning high for Core by json file in entity-manager ?

Duke,
I don't think you can configure threshold for "Core", it has been read by cpu directly and set by cpusensors.

    (There is my josn file for cpu in package entity-manager)

                "Thresholds": [
                    {
                        "Direction": "greater than",
                        "Label": "Core",
                        "Name": "upper critical",
                        "Severity": 1,
                        "Value": 75
                    },
                    {
                        "Direction": "greater than",
                        "Label": "Core",
                        "Name": "upper non critical",
                        "Severity": 0,
                        "Value": 70
                    },
                    {
                        "Direction": "greater than",
                        "Label": "DIMM",
                        "Name": "upper critical",
                        "Severity": 1,
                        "Value": 85
                    },
                    {
                        "Direction": "greater than",
                        "Label": "DIMM",
                        "Name": "upper non critical",
                        "Severity": 0,
                        "Value": 80
                    }
                ],

    Thanks.
    Duke, Du

@ 2019-07-23 17:20   ` Jae Hyun Yoo
From: Jae Hyun Yoo @ 2019-07-23 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Feist, Duke Du (杜祥嘉); +Cc: openbmc

On 7/23/2019 10:12 AM, James Feist wrote:
> On 7/22/2019 2:49 AM, Duke Du (杜祥嘉) wrote:
>> Hi James,
>>     I have some problems with cpusensor in package dbus-sensors. When
>> I set temperatures of critical and warning high for DIMM is work, but
>> Core is not. Could I set temperatures of critical and warning high for
>> Core by json file in entity-manager ?
>
> Jae is the implementer of this sensor.
>
> Jae, can you please help? I believe this is because the thresholds are
> read from the CPU.

In case of CPU package and core temperatures, peci-cputemp hwmon driver
reads Tjmax and Tcontrol values from the CPU through PECI and cpusensor
service uses it for critical and warning setting so no need to add json
setting into entity-manager.

In case of DIMM temperature threshold information cannot be read through
PECI so the json setting in entity-manager is needed.

Thanks,
Jae

@ 2019-07-23 17:12 ` James Feist
From: James Feist @ 2019-07-23 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)