* A question about staging driver like pi433
@ 2021-08-09 16:13 Sidong Yang
From: Sidong Yang @ 2021-08-09 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi all,

I have a question about staging driver. I'm a newbie kernel developer
and I tried contributed some patches for staging drivers. In those
staging drivers, I'm interested in pi433 and wrote some patches for it
about 2 years ago. and then I tried to go deeper for that. I tried to
buy pi433 device but I can't. It seems that no longer available.

In this case, pi433 should be removed from source tree?
If not, It's okay to send patches for it?

Thanks,
Sidong

* Re: A question about staging driver like pi433
@ 2021-08-09 18:20 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-08-09 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sidong Yang; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 04:13:28PM +0000, Sidong Yang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question about staging driver. I'm a newbie kernel developer
> and I tried contributed some patches for staging drivers. In those
> staging drivers, I'm interested in pi433 and wrote some patches for it
> about 2 years ago. and then I tried to go deeper for that. I tried to
> buy pi433 device but I can't. It seems that no longer available.
>
> In this case, pi433 should be removed from source tree?

Why would it be removed if people still use it?

> If not, It's okay to send patches for it?

Please do!

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: A question about staging driver like pi433
@ 2021-08-09 23:27   ` Sidong Yang
From: Sidong Yang @ 2021-08-09 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 08:20:03PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 04:13:28PM +0000, Sidong Yang wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a question about staging driver. I'm a newbie kernel developer
> > and I tried contributed some patches for staging drivers. In those
> > staging drivers, I'm interested in pi433 and wrote some patches for it
> > about 2 years ago. and then I tried to go deeper for that. I tried to
> > buy pi433 device but I can't. It seems that no longer available.
> >
> > In this case, pi433 should be removed from source tree?
>
> Why would it be removed if people still use it?

Yeah, I thought there is no user using this device. I realized that it
was bad idea.

> > If not, It's okay to send patches for it?

Sure,

Thanks!
Sidong

@ 2021-08-10  6:12     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-08-10  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sidong Yang; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 11:27:13PM +0000, Sidong Yang wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 08:20:03PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 04:13:28PM +0000, Sidong Yang wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have a question about staging driver. I'm a newbie kernel developer
> > > and I tried contributed some patches for staging drivers. In those
> > > staging drivers, I'm interested in pi433 and wrote some patches for it
> > > about 2 years ago. and then I tried to go deeper for that. I tried to
> > > buy pi433 device but I can't. It seems that no longer available.
> > >
> > > In this case, pi433 should be removed from source tree?
> >
> > Why would it be removed if people still use it?
>
> Yeah, I thought there is no user using this device. I realized that it
> was bad idea.

Is there no one using this?  That's kind of hard to determine, and is
a problem we have at times :(

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: A question about staging driver like pi433
@ 2021-08-12  7:43       ` Sidong Yang
From: Sidong Yang @ 2021-08-12  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 08:12:46AM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 11:27:13PM +0000, Sidong Yang wrote:

> > > Why would it be removed if people still use it?
> >
> > Yeah, I thought there is no user using this device. I realized that it
> > was bad idea.
>
> Is there no one using this?  That's kind of hard to determine, and is
> a problem we have at times :(

I contacted the hardware developer in personal. And He replied positive.
I would get the pi433 device soon. It would be nice that It can be
tested in practice.

Thanks,
Sidong