* one more curiosity about oe-buildenv-internal: what's with BBEXTRA?
@ 2012-03-21 23:02 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-03-21 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

  apparently, given the following in oe-buildenv-internal:

BITBAKEDIR="$OEROOT/bitbake$BBEXTRA/"

you can use BBEXTRA to use a different bitbake directory than the
default.  is this a debugging aid?  are normal users meant to know
about this?  i don't see any mention of it anywhere.  in fact, from
the top level of oe-core:

$ grep -r BBEXTRA *
scripts/oe-buildenv-internal:BITBAKEDIR="$OEROOT/bitbake$BBEXTRA/"
$

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: one more curiosity about oe-buildenv-internal: what's with BBEXTRA?
@ 2012-03-21 23:17 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2012-03-21 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Wed, 2012-03-21 at 19:02 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> apparently, given the following in oe-buildenv-internal:
>
> BITBAKEDIR="$OEROOT/bitbake$BBEXTRA/"
>
> you can use BBEXTRA to use a different bitbake directory than the
> default.  is this a debugging aid?  are normal users meant to know
> about this?  i don't see any mention of it anywhere.  in fact, from
> the top level of oe-core:
>
> $ grep -r BBEXTRA *
> scripts/oe-buildenv-internal:BITBAKEDIR="$OEROOT/bitbake$BBEXTRA/"
> $

I was responsible for this one a long time ago and it was simply a
development aid. I was probably its main user although I haven't used it
in a while. We don't have multiple versions of bitbake being used
heavily anymore, thankfully.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: one more curiosity about oe-buildenv-internal: what's with BBEXTRA?
@ 2012-03-21 23:20   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-03-21 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012, Richard Purdie wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-03-21 at 19:02 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > apparently, given the following in oe-buildenv-internal:
> >
> > BITBAKEDIR="$OEROOT/bitbake$BBEXTRA/"
> >
> > you can use BBEXTRA to use a different bitbake directory than the
> > default.  is this a debugging aid?  are normal users meant to know
> > about this?  i don't see any mention of it anywhere.  in fact, from
> > the top level of oe-core:
> >
> > $ grep -r BBEXTRA *
> > scripts/oe-buildenv-internal:BITBAKEDIR="$OEROOT/bitbake$BBEXTRA/"
> > $
>
> I was responsible for this one a long time ago and it was simply a
> development aid. I was probably its main user although I haven't used it
> in a while. We don't have multiple versions of bitbake being used
> heavily anymore, thankfully.

  is it worth just removing?  i can send in a patch unless you'd
rather quietly keep it around.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca