* [Buildroot] New to list
@ 2016-07-14 22:58 Chris Sparks
       [not found] ` <Lkuj1t0012yBjFQ01kukAW>
From: Chris Sparks @ 2016-07-14 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

I am new to this list and I have my first question.  I did a build of
build root for a raspberry pi 3 configuration.  It seemed to get through
all of the compilations and sdcard building.  I tried it in my Raspberry
Pi 3 with the official LCD that comes with it (not HDMI cable) and I
just got a color box frozen on the LCD.  What would cause this?  Do I
need to have an HDMI screen attached?

I am trying to build this with ubuntu 16.04 and I found out that it
doesn't support ncurses-dev so I can't use menuconfig.

Thanks,
Chris Sparks

---

* [Buildroot] New to list
@ 2016-07-19 20:47 ` Manuel Groß
       [not found] ` <Lkuj1t0012yBjFQ01kukAW>
From: Manuel Groß @ 2016-07-19 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 15:58:11 -0700
Chris Sparks <mr_ada@cox.net> wrote:

> Hello,

Hello Chris,

> [...]
> I am trying to build this with ubuntu 16.04 and I found out that it
> doesn't support ncurses-dev so I can't use menuconfig.

I don't have an Ubuntu 16.04 at my fingertips right now, but errors
like this on Ubuntu usually mean the required package is not installed.
Try installing 'ncurses-dev' or 'libncurses5-dev' using apt-get, and
menuconfig should work fine. This worked for me on Ubuntu 12/14 at
least.
There are also other package requirements for using buildroot, as you
can see in the documentation[0] (ncurses is listed in the ?Optional
packages?). Just in case anything else might be missing.

I hope this helps you using menuconfig.

As for the problems with your Raspberry Pi 3, I unfortunately can not
help you, since I never used the device myself.

[0] https://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html#requirement
--
Gr??e/Regards
Manuel Gro?
From: Chris Sparks @ 2016-07-20 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Manuel,

Thanks.  I figured out how to get that package installed.  I just
decided to build the standard
Pi3 Configuration instead.  I haven't gotten a build to work yet. From
download issues to
in-operability.  I hope someone else who has been successful with
getting a Pi3 sdcard to work
can chime in and help me out.

On a different note would it better that I clone the repository instead
of download ZIPs?  It seems
that with all of the activity I might benefit from
fetching/pulling/rebasing.  I was hopeful that I
would get lucky and the first time it would work for me, but that seems
to be unrealistic.

@ 2016-07-20 15:57     ` Manuel Groß
From: Manuel Groß @ 2016-07-20 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 07:32:57 -0700
Chris Sparks <mr_ada@cox.net> wrote:

> On a different note would it better that I clone the repository
> instead of download ZIPs?  It seems
> that with all of the activity I might benefit from
> fetching/pulling/rebasing.

That depends.

If you want to contribute yourself, or want to build specific up-to-date
revisions between the releases, cloning and using the git repository
would be definately the way to go.
If you want to build your stuff with stable releases, the tarballs
should suffice.

I personally like to have the git repository cloned and browse the log
from time to time.
--
Gr??e/Regards
Manuel Gro?