* Re: [docs] [RFC 0/3] add support for diagrams generated from SVG sources
       [not found] <167F2C00C652388E.21757@lists.yoctoproject.org>
@ 2021-05-15  7:32 ` Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2021-05-15  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docs

On 5/15/21 9:12 AM, Michael Opdenacker wrote:

> My goal is to progressively replace PNG diagrams with SVG ones:
>    - To get high quality definition output documents, in all output formats
>    - To Have the ability to update diagrams
> I would indeed do this very progressively, a little bit every week,
> not at the expense of other tasks.

I forgot to mention that, if this is accepted, I'll also propose
guidelines to create such diagrams, such as using a standard color
palette, standard SVG clipart, standard fonts, etc, so that all diagrams
have a consistent aspect across the whole manual.

Cheers,

Michael.

--
Michael Opdenacker, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* Re: [docs] [RFC 0/3] add support for diagrams generated from SVG sources
@ 2021-05-17 12:33     ` Nicolas Dechesne
From: Nicolas Dechesne @ 2021-05-17 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 10:45 AM Michael Opdenacker <
michael.opdenacker@bootlin.com> wrote:

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> On 5/17/21 12:11 AM, Nicolas Dechesne wrote:
> >

> > Getting more svg files is definitely the way to go.. thanks for
> > starting this. It seems like there are sphinx extensions to convert
> > images as needed, e.g.
> > https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/usage/extensions/imgconverter.html
> > <https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/usage/extensions/imgconverter.html
> >
> > or
> > https://github.com/sephalon/sphinxcontrib-svg2pdfconverter
> > <https://github.com/sephalon/sphinxcontrib-svg2pdfconverter>
> > which seems to support inkscape:
> >
> https://github.com/sephalon/sphinxcontrib-svg2pdfconverter/blob/master/sphinxcontrib/inkscapeconverter.py
> > <
> https://github.com/sephalon/sphinxcontrib-svg2pdfconverter/blob/master/sphinxcontrib/inkscapeconverter.py
> >

> > Have you looked into that or not?
>

> Not yet, but this sounds like a much better option for converting SVG to
> PNG and PDF, rather than having to do this manually in the Makefile.
> I will try to use those.

FWIW, I really like the PDF output.. the whole doc in a single PDF is
great. We should make it a goal for this release cycle to produce and
release PDF (I know some prefer epub.. so perhaps we can do both).

We should probably review the PDF output and tweak it a bit, for example, I
don't think we need the "Current and Previous releases" sections.

@ 2021-05-17  8:45   ` Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2021-05-17  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2021-05-16 22:11 ` Nicolas Dechesne
From: Nicolas Dechesne @ 2021-05-16 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)