* [Buildroot] Rust test too long
@ 2018-06-10 14:57 Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2018-06-10 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Eric,

The tests.package.test_rust.TestRust test case takes more than 3 hours
and Gitlab, and causes the overall test suite to always fail:

  https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/pipelines/23578303/failures

(This one also has a failure related to check-package caused by the
mender package, but I've fixed that)

Is this expected that this test takes as much as 3 hours ? Is there
something we can do to reduce this ?

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin (formerly Free Electrons)
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] Rust test too long
@ 2018-06-18 18:33 ` Eric Le Bihan
From: Eric Le Bihan @ 2018-06-18 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi!

On 2018-06-10 16:57, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello Eric,
>
> The tests.package.test_rust.TestRust test case takes more than 3 hours
> and Gitlab, and causes the overall test suite to always fail:
>
>   https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/pipelines/23578303/failures
>
> (This one also has a failure related to check-package caused by the
> mender package, but I've fixed that)
>
> Is this expected that this test takes as much as 3 hours ? Is there
> something we can do to reduce this ?

What is the horsepower of the Gitlab instance?

When building rust from source, the longest part is building the LLVM
backend.

On a 4-core i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz, TestRust takes 60 minutes. But on a
4-core i3-4010U CPU @ 1.70GHz, it does takes nearly 3 hours...

Regards.

--
ELB

* [Buildroot] Rust test too long
@ 2018-06-18 18:44   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2018-06-18 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 20:33:20 +0200, Eric Le Bihan wrote:

> > Is this expected that this test takes as much as 3 hours ? Is there
> > something we can do to reduce this ?
>
> What is the horsepower of the Gitlab instance?

I have no idea :-/

> When building rust from source, the longest part is building the LLVM
> backend.
>
> On a 4-core i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz, TestRust takes 60 minutes. But on a
> 4-core i3-4010U CPU @ 1.70GHz, it does takes nearly 3 hours...

OK, so it is not crazy that the Gitlab instances are not able to build
this. So, I'd say we need to:

 - In the short term, disable this test from the Gitlab testing. Do you
   think you could look into this ?

 - In the mid/long term, have our own Gitlab instances, that have more
   horsepower and no limit in the duration of jobs.

Best regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2018-06-21 21:41     ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2018-06-21 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 18-06-18 20:44, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 20:33:20 +0200, Eric Le Bihan wrote:
>
>>> Is this expected that this test takes as much as 3 hours ? Is there
>>> something we can do to reduce this ?
>>
>> What is the horsepower of the Gitlab instance?
>
> I have no idea :-/
>
>> When building rust from source, the longest part is building the LLVM
>> backend.
>>
>> On a 4-core i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz, TestRust takes 60 minutes. But on a
>> 4-core i3-4010U CPU @ 1.70GHz, it does takes nearly 3 hours...
>
> OK, so it is not crazy that the Gitlab instances are not able to build
> this. So, I'd say we need to:
>
>  - In the short term, disable this test from the Gitlab testing. Do you
>    think you could look into this ?
>
>  - In the mid/long term, have our own Gitlab instances, that have more
>    horsepower and no limit in the duration of jobs.

 I actually have spare cycles @work, but I'm lacking the time to set up a gitlab
runner instance. I'm also lacking in disk space but for the tests it should be fine.

 Regards,
 Arnout