* [LTP] test_net.sh: Require to redefine less variables
@ 2017-02-16 23:06 Petr Vorel
From: Petr Vorel @ 2017-02-16 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp

Hi Alexey,

I wonder, if we could reduce number of variables required user to define, if uses ssh
as transport in testcases/lib/test_net.sh and he's not happy with default ones.

IMHO at least {L,R}HOST_IPV{4,6}_REV, IPV{4,6}_NET_REV could be calculated.

We also expect mask 24 (resp 64), is there a reason for it? I wonder if it wouldn't be
better using client and host addresses with prefix as input and calculating even more
variables from them: IPV{4,6}_NETWORK, {L,R}HOST_IPV{4,6}_HOST, IPV{4,6}_NET_REV,
IPV{4,6}_NET_REV.

Kind regards,
Petr

* [LTP] test_net.sh: Require to redefine less variables
@ 2017-02-20 10:31 ` Alexey Kodanev
From: Alexey Kodanev @ 2017-02-20 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp

On 17.02.2017 2:06, Petr Vorel wrote:
> Hi Alexey,
>
> I wonder, if we could reduce number of variables required user to define, if uses ssh
> as transport in testcases/lib/test_net.sh and he's not happy with default ones.
>
> IMHO at least {L,R}HOST_IPV{4,6}_REV, IPV{4,6}_NET_REV could be calculated.
>
> We also expect mask 24 (resp 64), is there a reason for it?I wonder if it wouldn't be
> better using client and host addresses with prefix as input and calculating even more
> variables from them: IPV{4,6}_NETWORK, {L,R}HOST_IPV{4,6}_HOST, IPV{4,6}_NET_REV,
> IPV{4,6}_NET_REV.
Hi Petr,

That would be a nice feature to have of cause, regarding this variables:

IPV{4,6}_NETWORK
{L,R}HOST_IPV{4,6}_HOST

and afaik they only used in test_net.sh to make up host addresses, so we can easily get rid of them and use only two variables with non-default subnets (optional).

Thanks,
Alexey

* [LTP] test_net.sh: Require to redefine less variables
@ 2017-02-21  8:05   ` Petr Vorel
From: Petr Vorel @ 2017-02-21  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp

Hi Alexey,

> That would be a nice feature to have of cause, regarding this variables:

> IPV{4,6}_NETWORK
> {L,R}HOST_IPV{4,6}_HOST

> and afaik they only used in test_net.sh to make up host addresses, so we can easily get rid of them and use only two variables with non-default subnets (optional).
{L,R}HOST_IPV4_HOST, IPV{4,6}_NETWORK and IPV{4,6}_NET_REV and are needed at least in testcases/network/stress/dns/dns-stress and testcases/network/stress/interface/if4-addr-change. So we'd need to calculate them from address.

Obviously IPV{4,6}_NET_REV are used only in dns-stress test only. A lot of scripts in
network stress tests pass other variables from test_net.sh to set_ipv4addr, add_ipv6addr,
check_icmpv{4,6}_connectivity, ns-icmpv6_sender and probably some other tests mentioned in
testcases/network/stress/ns-tools/00_Descriptions.txt.

So I'd keep all of these variables, just to calculate these with shell script or C binary:
IPV{4,6}_NETWORK
{L,R}HOST_IPV{4,6}_HOST
IPV{4,6}_NET_REV

Kind regards,
Petr

* [LTP] test_net.sh: Require to redefine less variables
@ 2017-02-21 10:19     ` Alexey Kodanev
From: Alexey Kodanev @ 2017-02-21 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp

On 02/21/2017 11:05 AM, Petr Vorel wrote:
> Obviously IPV{4,6}_NET_REV are used only in dns-stress test only. A lot of scripts in
> network stress tests pass other variables from test_net.sh to set_ipv4addr, add_ipv6addr,
> check_icmpv{4,6}_connectivity, ns-icmpv6_sender and probably some other tests mentioned in
> testcases/network/stress/ns-tools/00_Descriptions.txt.
>
> So I'd keep all of these variables, just to calculate these with shell script or C binary:
> IPV{4,6}_NETWORK
> {L,R}HOST_IPV{4,6}_HOST
> IPV{4,6}_NET_REV

You are describing some outdated scripts and they don't actually use
test_net.sh, or have I missed something?

Thanks,
Alexey

* [LTP] test_net.sh: Require to redefine less variables
@ 2017-02-21 10:43       ` Alexey Kodanev
From: Alexey Kodanev @ 2017-02-21 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp

On 02/21/2017 01:19 PM, Alexey Kodanev wrote:
> On 02/21/2017 11:05 AM, Petr Vorel wrote:
>> Obviously IPV{4,6}_NET_REV are used only in dns-stress test only. A
>> lot of scripts in
>> network stress tests pass other variables from test_net.sh to
>> set_ipv4addr, add_ipv6addr,
>> check_icmpv{4,6}_connectivity, ns-icmpv6_sender and probably some
>> other tests mentioned in
>> testcases/network/stress/ns-tools/00_Descriptions.txt.
>>
>> So I'd keep all of these variables, just to calculate these with
>> shell script or C binary:
>> IPV{4,6}_NETWORK
>> {L,R}HOST_IPV{4,6}_HOST
>> IPV{4,6}_NET_REV
>
> You are describing some outdated scripts and they don't actually use
> test_net.sh, or have I missed something?

Ah, I see, we can run them with network.sh which source test_net.sh, OK.

Though, the left users of these functions are stress/tcp/udp/route and
multicast stress tests...I'll post updates for the first three soon.

Thanks,
Alexey

* [LTP] test_net.sh: Require to redefine less variables
@ 2017-02-21 11:18         ` Petr Vorel
From: Petr Vorel @ 2017-02-21 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp

Hi Alexey,

> Ah, I see, we can run them with network.sh which source test_net.sh, OK.

> Though, the left users of these functions are stress/tcp/udp/route and
> multicast stress tests...I'll post updates for the first three soon.
What exactly are you going to do?

I suppose I should wait with this until you do you push your cleanup.
> > So I'd keep all of these variables, just to calculate these with shell
> > script or C binary:
> > IPV{4,6}_NETWORK
> > {L,R}HOST_IPV{4,6}_HOST
> > IPV{4,6}_NET_REV

Kind regards,
Petr

* [LTP] test_net.sh: Require to redefine less variables
@ 2017-02-21 11:36           ` Alexey Kodanev
From: Alexey Kodanev @ 2017-02-21 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp

On 02/21/2017 02:18 PM, Petr Vorel wrote:
> Hi Alexey,
>
>> Ah, I see, we can run them with network.sh which source test_net.sh, OK.
>> Though, the left users of these functions are stress/tcp/udp/route and
>> multicast stress tests...I'll post updates for the first three soon.
> What exactly are you going to do?
>
> I suppose I should wait with this until you do you push your cleanup.

Update to source test_net.sh and ipsec_lib.sh. It's not necessary to wait,
these tests still can be run as is by exporting old-style variables.

Thanks,
Alexey