* pxafb: RGBT555 support
@ 2009-10-29 11:35 pieterg
From: pieterg @ 2009-10-29 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi all,

Great to see the 'recent' work on overlay support and color format fixes in
pxafb.c.
Looks like I no longer need my local patches.

However, there is one thing that I cannot seem to accomplish just yet.
We have an LCD which is connected in an RGBT555 configuration.
That means somehow var->transp.length should be set to 1.
After that, it looks like pxafb_set_pxifmt should do its job just fine.

Would it make sense to add transparency info to pxafb_mode_info?
After all it is a hardware property, with our LCD and the way it is
connected we won't be able to do RGB565, so our var->transp.length should
be fixed at 1.
If pxafb_setmode could do that, based on the pxafb_mode_info, that would
probably solve my problem.
Maybe something could be done by comparing 'depth' and 'bpp', if one is 16
and the other 15, one could make the assumption the remaining bit is used
for transparency.

Or am I overlooking something here, and is there a better way to force pxafb
to RGBT555 for my LCD?

Rgds, Pieter

* pxafb: RGBT555 support
@ 2009-11-04  9:28 ` pieterg
From: pieterg @ 2009-11-04  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thursday 29 October 2009 12:35:55 pieterg wrote:
> Great to see the 'recent' work on overlay support and color format fixes
> in pxafb.c.
> Looks like I no longer need my local patches.
>
> However, there is one thing that I cannot seem to accomplish just yet.
> We have an LCD which is connected in an RGBT555 configuration.
> That means somehow var->transp.length should be set to 1.
> After that, it looks like pxafb_set_pxifmt should do its job just fine.
>
> Would it make sense to add transparency info to pxafb_mode_info?
> After all it is a hardware property, with our LCD and the way it is
> connected we won't be able to do RGB565, so our var->transp.length should
> be fixed at 1.
> If pxafb_setmode could do that, based on the pxafb_mode_info, that would
> probably solve my problem.
> Maybe something could be done by comparing 'depth' and 'bpp', if one is
> 16 and the other 15, one could make the assumption the remaining bit is
> used for transparency.
>
> Or am I overlooking something here, and is there a better way to force
> pxafb to RGBT555 for my LCD?

Sorry to ask again, but is there an official/preferred way to select RGBT555
mode in pxafb, or should I just continue hacking it in for now?

Rgds, Pieter

* pxafb: RGBT555 support
@ 2009-11-04  9:34   ` Eric Miao
From: Eric Miao @ 2009-11-04  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 5:28 PM, pieterg <pieterg@gmx.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 29 October 2009 12:35:55 pieterg wrote:
>> Great to see the 'recent' work on overlay support and color format fixes
>> in pxafb.c.
>> Looks like I no longer need my local patches.
>>
>> However, there is one thing that I cannot seem to accomplish just yet.
>> We have an LCD which is connected in an RGBT555 configuration.
>> That means somehow var->transp.length should be set to 1.
>> After that, it looks like pxafb_set_pxifmt should do its job just fine.
>>
>> Would it make sense to add transparency info to pxafb_mode_info?
>> After all it is a hardware property, with our LCD and the way it is
>> connected we won't be able to do RGB565, so our var->transp.length should
>> be fixed at 1.
>> If pxafb_setmode could do that, based on the pxafb_mode_info, that would
>> probably solve my problem.
>> Maybe something could be done by comparing 'depth' and 'bpp', if one is
>> 16 and the other 15, one could make the assumption the remaining bit is
>> used for transparency.
>>
>> Or am I overlooking something here, and is there a better way to force
>> pxafb to RGBT555 for my LCD?
>
> Sorry to ask again, but is there an official/preferred way to select RGBT555
> mode in pxafb, or should I just continue hacking it in for now?

Unfortunately, transparency is part of depth and it's really not easy to
distinguish between RGB565 and RGBT555 by depth and bits_per_pixel
only without introducing something else.

* pxafb: RGBT555 support
@ 2009-11-04 10:05     ` pieterg
From: pieterg @ 2009-11-04 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Wednesday 04 November 2009 10:34:25 Eric Miao wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 5:28 PM, pieterg <pieterg@gmx.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 October 2009 12:35:55 pieterg wrote:
> >> Great to see the 'recent' work on overlay support and color format
> >> fixes in pxafb.c.
> >> Looks like I no longer need my local patches.
> >>
> >> However, there is one thing that I cannot seem to accomplish just yet.
> >> We have an LCD which is connected in an RGBT555 configuration.
> >> That means somehow var->transp.length should be set to 1.
> >> After that, it looks like pxafb_set_pxifmt should do its job just
> >> fine.
> >>
> >> Would it make sense to add transparency info to pxafb_mode_info?
> >> After all it is a hardware property, with our LCD and the way it is
> >> connected we won't be able to do RGB565, so our var->transp.length
> >> should be fixed at 1.
> >> If pxafb_setmode could do that, based on the pxafb_mode_info, that
> >> would probably solve my problem.
> >> Maybe something could be done by comparing 'depth' and 'bpp', if one
> >> is 16 and the other 15, one could make the assumption the remaining
> >> bit is used for transparency.
> >>
> >> Or am I overlooking something here, and is there a better way to force
> >> pxafb to RGBT555 for my LCD?
> >
> > Sorry to ask again, but is there an official/preferred way to select
> > RGBT555 mode in pxafb, or should I just continue hacking it in for now?
>
> Unfortunately, transparency is part of depth and it's really not easy to
> distinguish between RGB565 and RGBT555 by depth and bits_per_pixel
> only without introducing something else.

So perhaps something like this (untested)?
Name: 0001-pxafb-added-transparency-field-to-pxafb_mode_info-st.patch
Type: text/x-diff
Size: 1364 bytes
Desc: not available

* pxafb: RGBT555 support
@ 2009-11-04 14:33       ` Eric Miao
From: Eric Miao @ 2009-11-04 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

>> Unfortunately, transparency is part of depth and it's really not easy to
>> distinguish between RGB565 and RGBT555 by depth and bits_per_pixel
>> only without introducing something else.
>
> So perhaps something like this (untested)?

This looks good to me - please have this tested and I'll merge it
later if no other comments.

* pxafb: RGBT555 support
@ 2009-11-05 16:27         ` pieterg
From: pieterg @ 2009-11-05 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Wednesday 04 November 2009 15:33:21 Eric Miao wrote:
> >> Unfortunately, transparency is part of depth and it's really not easy
> >> to distinguish between RGB565 and RGBT555 by depth and bits_per_pixel
> >> only without introducing something else.
> >
> > So perhaps something like this (untested)?
>
> This looks good to me - please have this tested and I'll merge it
> later if no other comments.

Tested, and it works.
Please use this version instead of the original one I posted, no matter how
small it is, I still managed to get a typo in ;)

Rgds, Pieter

@ 2009-11-12 10:49           ` pieterg
From: pieterg @ 2009-11-12 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thursday 05 November 2009 17:27:02 pieterg wrote:

> > > So perhaps something like this (untested)?
> >
> > This looks good to me - please have this tested and I'll merge it
> > later if no other comments.
>
> Tested, and it works.
> Please use this version instead of the original one I posted, no matter
> how small it is, I still managed to get a typo in ;)

Just for my information (and as a reminder perhaps), is this patch going to
make it?

Rgds, Pieter

* pxafb: RGBT555 support
@ 2009-11-13  3:48             ` Eric Miao
From: Eric Miao @ 2009-11-13  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 6:49 PM, pieterg <pieterg@gmx.com> wrote:

>> > This looks good to me - please have this tested and I'll merge it
>> > later if no other comments.
>>
>> Tested, and it works.
>> Please use this version instead of the original one I posted, no matter
>> how small it is, I still managed to get a typo in ;)
>
> Just for my information (and as a reminder perhaps), is this patch going to
> make it?

Pieter,

You need to Signoff your patch before I can merge it, please see
linux/Documentation/SubmittingPatches.

Thanks
- eric