* newbie: need concrete examples for how the linux-kernel project uses  git
@ 2010-05-04 21:31 Robert Buck
From: Robert Buck @ 2010-05-04 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello,

We're looking at Git at our company, and in the first phase of testing
Git passed the technical criteria with flying colors, and did much
better than Hg. We've entered the second phase of testing where I need
to basically try out the typical work flows in Git.

We have multiple teams, lots of developers, and would like to use a
variant of the dictator-lieutenant scheme discussed in published
subject matter.

However, I find it rather challenging finding any subject matter that
provides reasonable detail. What I'd like to find are concrete
examples, step-by-step, of specifically how to:

* set up each public repository: mainline, integration, maintainers, feature
 - with enough detail showing how to set up remotes, branches for
each, shared or not, ...

* perform the daily function for role, dictator, lieutenant, maintainer
 - with specific detail about the typical commands used each day

Surely someone must have documented this somewhere, or perhaps
scripted it up in some shell scripts which would be even better?

I have spent multiple days on this already, and given that I am a
novice at Git, though not with source control systems, if I could
obtain some concrete examples, this would accelerate the evaluation
quite a bit, and it would help me decipher the mounds of documentation
with the few more concrete examples.

I'd like to present the details and results to our development
organization next week, and be able to speak about some flows I
actually tried out myself.

By the way, Git, love it! Way cool guys.

A puzzled newbie,

Bob

* Re: newbie: need concrete examples for how the linux-kernel project uses git
@ 2010-05-05  1:09 ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2010-05-05  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Buck; +Cc: git

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 05:31:21PM -0400, Robert Buck wrote:

> However, I find it rather challenging finding any subject matter that
> provides reasonable detail. What I'd like to find are concrete
> examples, step-by-step, of specifically how to:

This is not quite what you're asking for, but you may find the following
helpful:

  An overview of some workflows.
  http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gitworkflows.html

  A description of the maintainer workflow for git itself:
  http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/howto/maintain-git.txt

-Peff

* Re: newbie: need concrete examples for how the linux-kernel project uses git
@ 2010-05-05  1:10 ` Jonathan Nieder
From: Jonathan Nieder @ 2010-05-05  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Buck; +Cc: git

Hi Robert,

Robert Buck wrote:

> We have multiple teams, lots of developers, and would like to use a
> variant of the dictator-lieutenant scheme discussed in published
> subject matter.
>
> However, I find it rather challenging finding any subject matter that
> provides reasonable detail.

Probably you have run into these already.  But for reference...

To be a maintainer:

 - the gitworkflows(7) page[1]

The kernel does not follow all of these practices, but maybe similar
projects could benefit from some. :)

To be a “leaf” contributor (does not require git):

 - the Linux wireless git guide[2]
 - submitting patches to linux-wireless.git[3]
 - guide to tip.git (Linux’s x86 architecture support subsystem) [4]

To build a throw-away integration branch:

 - Stephen Rothwell’s linux-next tree[5]

To be, well, anyone:

 - “everyday git in 20 commands or so” [6]

Patch flow:

 - for Linux wireless [7]
 - for git [8]

Separate “internal use” and “public” trees:

 - nouveau/linux-2.6 [9]

> What I'd like to find are concrete
> examples, step-by-step, of specifically how to:

If you find these, information for each about

 - where you expected to find it
 - where you actually found it
 - how helpful that information was

would be very useful.  It would be nice to be able to update “everyday git”,
the user manual, the reference manual pages, and other documents to make
this sort of question easier to answer.

Hope that helps,
Jonathan

[1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gitworkflows.html
[2] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Documentation/git-guide
[3] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
[4] http://people.redhat.com/mingo/tip.git/readme.txt
[5] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git;a=tree;f=Next
[6] http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/everyday.html
[7] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/process
[8] https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/MaintNotes
[9] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/nouveau/2009-March/002765.html
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/linux-2.6/
‘git rebase’ is the main tool here.

* Re: newbie: need concrete examples for how the linux-kernel project  uses git
@ 2010-05-05  2:11   ` Robert Buck
From: Robert Buck @ 2010-05-05  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Nieder; +Cc: git

Wow, this is really great folks. Let me look at these links again.

Great stuff. Thank you,

-Bob

@ 2010-05-05  3:36     ` Lin Mac
From: Lin Mac @ 2010-05-05  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Buck; +Cc: Jonathan Nieder, git

Haven't read through all the stuff, sorry if it is already coverd or
not related.
But as a newbie, I found following, found on this list, quiet helpful.

A successful Git branching model
http://nvie.com/git-model

Best Regards,
Mac Lin