* fio2gnuplot issue
@ 2016-07-05 21:52 Saeed Tea
From: Saeed Tea @ 2016-07-05 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fio

I'm trying generate graphs with logs create by fio using fio2gnu and
keep getting this error when generating graphs for iops or bandwidth:

1 files Selected with pattern '*_iops.log'
|-> 4k.results_iops.log

Running gnuplot Rendering
"/usr/share/fio//math.gpm", line 25: no datablock named $1

"/usr/share/fio//graph2D.gpm", line 25: no datablock named $1

Rendering traces are available in the current directory

Checking the directory listing only shows this file:

$3.png

Am I missing something in fio profile??� Here's a snippet:

[global]
rw=randread
ioengine=posixaio
iodepth=64
size=10g
direct=0
buffered=1
startdelay=5
ramp_time=5
runtime=20
time_based
disk_util=0
clat_percentiles=0
write_bw_log=4k.results
write_iops_log=4k.results
write_lat_log=4k.results
per_job_logs=0

* Re: fio2gnuplot issue
@ 2016-07-05 22:09 ` Saeed Tea
From: Saeed Tea @ 2016-07-05 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fio

This is with fio 2.12

On 2016-07-05 21:52:47 +0000, Saeed Tea said:

> I'm trying generate graphs with logs create by fio using fio2gnu and
> keep getting this error when generating graphs for iops or bandwidth:
>
> 1 files Selected with pattern '*_iops.log'
> |-> 4k.results_iops.log
>
> Running gnuplot Rendering
> "/usr/share/fio//math.gpm", line 25: no datablock named $1
>
> "/usr/share/fio//graph2D.gpm", line 25: no datablock named $1
>

> Rendering traces are available in the current directory
>
> Checking the directory listing only shows this file:
>
> $3.png
>
> Am I missing something in fio profile??� Here's a snippet:
>
> [global]
> rw=randread
> ioengine=posixaio
> iodepth=64
> size=10g
> direct=0
> buffered=1
> startdelay=5
> ramp_time=5
> runtime=20
> time_based
> disk_util=0
> clat_percentiles=0
> write_bw_log=4k.results
> write_iops_log=4k.results
> write_lat_log=4k.results
> per_job_logs=0

* Re: fio2gnuplot issue
@ 2016-07-14  5:22   ` Sitsofe Wheeler
From: Sitsofe Wheeler @ 2016-07-14  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saeed Tea; +Cc: fio, erwan

> On 2016-07-05 21:52:47 +0000, Saeed Tea said:
>
>> I'm trying generate graphs with logs create by fio using fio2gnu and keep
>> getting this error when generating graphs for iops or bandwidth:
>>
>> 1 files Selected with pattern '*_iops.log'
>> |-> 4k.results_iops.log
>>
>> Running gnuplot Rendering
>> "/usr/share/fio//math.gpm", line 25: no datablock named $1
>>
>> "/usr/share/fio//graph2D.gpm", line 25: no datablock named $1
>>

>> Rendering traces are available in the current directory
>>
>> Checking the directory listing only shows this file:
>>
>> $3.png
>>
>> Am I missing something in fio profile??  Here's a snippet:

This happens because you have gnuplot 5 and it dropped support for the
$1 way of passing arguments on the command line (see
http://stackoverflow.com/a/31815067/4513656 ). To get around this both
the .gpm and and fio2gnuplot would have to be rewritten to use a
different means of passing parameters in. I'm not sure any method
beyond using environment variables would work for both old and new
versions of gnuplot...

CC'ing the original author of fio2gnuplot for comment.

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/

* Re: fio2gnuplot issue
@ 2016-07-14  5:27     ` Sitsofe Wheeler
From: Sitsofe Wheeler @ 2016-07-14  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saeed Tea; +Cc: fio, evelu

On 14 July 2016 at 06:22, Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2016-07-05 21:52:47 +0000, Saeed Tea said:
>>
>>> I'm trying generate graphs with logs create by fio using fio2gnu and keep
>>> getting this error when generating graphs for iops or bandwidth:
>>>
>>> 1 files Selected with pattern '*_iops.log'
>>> |-> 4k.results_iops.log
>>>
>>> Running gnuplot Rendering
>>> "/usr/share/fio//math.gpm", line 25: no datablock named $1
>>>
>>> "/usr/share/fio//graph2D.gpm", line 25: no datablock named $1
>>>

>>> Rendering traces are available in the current directory
>>>
>>> Checking the directory listing only shows this file:
>>>
>>> $3.png
>>>
>>> Am I missing something in fio profile??  Here's a snippet:
>
> This happens because you have gnuplot 5 and it dropped support for the
> $1 way of passing arguments on the command line (see
> http://stackoverflow.com/a/31815067/4513656 ). To get around this both
> the .gpm and and fio2gnuplot would have to be rewritten to use a
> different means of passing parameters in. I'm not sure any method
> beyond using environment variables would work for both old and new
> versions of gnuplot...
>
> CC'ing the original author of fio2gnuplot for comment.

Trying again but with a different email address for the original author.

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/

* Re: fio2gnuplot issue
@ 2016-07-15  0:50     ` Saeed
From: Saeed @ 2016-07-15  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fio

Thanks!  I suspected it must've been something with gnuplot because it
seems to work with Ubuntu 15.xx (running Gnuplot 4.xx) and breaks with
Ubuntu 16.xxx (running Gnuplot 5.xx).

I tried contacting Erwan for an answer on a possible update but gotten
no response.

@ 2016-07-17  8:47       ` Sitsofe Wheeler
From: Sitsofe Wheeler @ 2016-07-17  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saeed; +Cc: fio

On 15 July 2016 at 01:50, Saeed <ionictea@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks!  I suspected it must've been something with gnuplot because it seems
> to work with Ubuntu 15.xx (running Gnuplot 4.xx) and breaks with Ubuntu
> 16.xxx (running Gnuplot 5.xx).
>
> I tried contacting Erwan for an answer on a possible update but gotten no
> response.

I've posted some changes that seem to get things going under gnuplot 5
for me. Could you check to see if
https://github.com/axboe/fio/pull/208 lets things work for you on
Ubuntu 16.04?

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/

* Re: fio2gnuplot issue
@ 2016-07-21 15:55         ` Saeed
From: Saeed @ 2016-07-21 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fio

I ran a couple of tests with your rev of fio2gnuplot and it seems to
work fine with gnuplot 5.x on ubuntu 16.x - thanks~

On 2016-07-17 08:47:28 +0000, Sitsofe Wheeler said:

> On 15 July 2016 at 01:50, Saeed
> <ionictea@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks!  I suspected it must've been something with gnuplot because it seems
>> to work with Ubuntu 15.xx (running Gnuplot 4.xx) and breaks with Ubuntu
>> 16.xxx (running Gnuplot 5.xx).
>>
>> I tried contacting Erwan for an answer on a possible update but gotten no
>> response.
>
> I've posted some changes that seem to get things going under gnuplot 5
> for me. Could you check to see if
> https://github.com/axboe/fio/pull/208 lets things work for you on
> Ubuntu 16.04?

* Re: fio2gnuplot issue
@ 2016-07-21 20:01           ` Sitsofe Wheeler
From: Sitsofe Wheeler @ 2016-07-21 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saeed; +Cc: fio, anatol.pomozov

On 21 July 2016 at 16:55, Saeed <ionictea@gmail.com> wrote:
> I ran a couple of tests with your rev of fio2gnuplot and it seems to work
> fine with gnuplot 5.x on ubuntu 16.x - thanks~

Thanks for following up. Since Jens merged this hopefully this will
help others too (I notice there's an Arch Linux bug that sounds
similar).

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/