* Btrfs progs pre-release 4.3-rc1
@ 2015-11-02 15:14 David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2015-11-02 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs; +Cc: clm

Hi,

the kernel 4.3 was released yesterday, the btrfs-progs will follow at the end
of this week. I've tagged an rc1 from current devel branch. There are a lots of
small invisible changes and one change in the defaults:

* mkfs: mixed mode is not forced anymore for devices smaller than 1 GiB

I've updated manual pages for mkfs, balance, btrfstune, convert and inspect,
I'd be glad if somebody could proofread them.

Otherwise bugfixes and small-sized patches are still welcome.

Tarballs: https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/kdave/btrfs-progs/
Git: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/kdave/btrfs-progs.git

* Re: Btrfs progs pre-release 4.3-rc1
@ 2015-11-03  0:10 ` Duncan
From: Duncan @ 2015-11-03  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

David Sterba posted on Mon, 02 Nov 2015 16:14:53 +0100 as excerpted:

> the kernel 4.3 was released yesterday, the btrfs-progs will follow at
> the end of this week. I've tagged an rc1 from current devel branch.
> There are a lots of small invisible changes and one change in the
> defaults:
>
> * mkfs: mixed mode is not forced anymore for devices smaller than 1 GiB

It says one change in the /defaults/, but then it says mixed mode isn't
/forced/ anymore under a GiB.

Which is it, a change in the /defaults/, under a gig now defaults to
separate data/metadata, or same /defaults/, but now there's a way to
overrule them and do separate data/metadata under a gig, so while mixed
remains the default, it's no longer /forced/?

If the /defaults/ changed, is mixed mode still /recommended/ for small
filesystems?

* Re: Btrfs progs pre-release 4.3-rc1
@ 2015-11-06 10:53   ` David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2015-11-06 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Duncan; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 12:10:14AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> David Sterba posted on Mon, 02 Nov 2015 16:14:53 +0100 as excerpted:
>
> > the kernel 4.3 was released yesterday, the btrfs-progs will follow at
> > the end of this week. I've tagged an rc1 from current devel branch.
> > There are a lots of small invisible changes and one change in the
> > defaults:
> >
> > * mkfs: mixed mode is not forced anymore for devices smaller than 1 GiB
>
> It says one change in the /defaults/, but then it says mixed mode isn't
> /forced/ anymore under a GiB.

Well, it may be a loose definition of 'default'. I meant a change in the
current behaviour without further tuning.

> Which is it, a change in the /defaults/, under a gig now defaults to
> separate data/metadata, or same /defaults/, but now there's a way to
> overrule them and do separate data/metadata under a gig, so while mixed
> remains the default, it's no longer /forced/?
>
> If the /defaults/ changed, is mixed mode still /recommended/ for small
> filesystems?

Yes it is, where small remains < 1 GiB.

* Re: Btrfs progs pre-release 4.3-rc1
@ 2015-11-07  8:34     ` Duncan
From: Duncan @ 2015-11-07  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

David Sterba posted on Fri, 06 Nov 2015 11:53:53 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 12:10:14AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
>> David Sterba posted on Mon, 02 Nov 2015 16:14:53 +0100 as excerpted:
>>
>> > the kernel 4.3 was released yesterday, the btrfs-progs will follow at
>> > the end of this week. I've tagged an rc1 from current devel branch.
>> > There are a lots of small invisible changes and one change in the
>> > defaults:
>> >
>> > * mkfs: mixed mode is not forced anymore for devices smaller than 1
>> > GiB
>>
>> It says one change in the /defaults/, but then it says mixed mode isn't
>> /forced/ anymore under a GiB.
>
> Well, it may be a loose definition of 'default'. I meant a change in the
> current behaviour without further tuning.
>
>> If the /defaults/ changed, is mixed mode still /recommended/ for small
>> filesystems?
>
> Yes it is, where small remains < 1 GiB.

Thanks.  Useful information, now more important to know than ever, since
it's no longer the under-a-gig no-additional-options default.

* Re: Btrfs progs pre-release 4.3-rc1
@ 2015-11-07 13:58 ` Chris Murphy
From: Chris Murphy @ 2015-11-07 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dsterba, Btrfs BTRFS, Chris Mason

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 4:14 PM, David Sterba <dsterba@suse.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the kernel 4.3 was released yesterday, the btrfs-progs will follow at the end
> of this week. I've tagged an rc1 from current devel branch. There are a lots of
> small invisible changes and one change in the defaults:
>
> * mkfs: mixed mode is not forced anymore for devices smaller than 1 GiB

Why?

If it's still recommended to use mixed for small device, why not keep
it the default and just permit the user to manually specify something
else?

--
Chris Murphy

* Re: Btrfs progs pre-release 4.3-rc1
@ 2015-11-09 13:29   ` Austin S Hemmelgarn
From: Austin S Hemmelgarn @ 2015-11-09 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Murphy, dsterba, Btrfs BTRFS, Chris Mason

On 2015-11-07 08:58, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 4:14 PM, David Sterba <dsterba@suse.cz> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the kernel 4.3 was released yesterday, the btrfs-progs will follow at the end
>> of this week. I've tagged an rc1 from current devel branch. There are a lots of
>> small invisible changes and one change in the defaults:
>>
>> * mkfs: mixed mode is not forced anymore for devices smaller than 1 GiB
>
> Why?
>
> If it's still recommended to use mixed for small device, why not keep
> it the default and just permit the user to manually specify something
> else?

I think the reasoning here is that leaving it as the default would
require adding another option (possibly, I don't know if -O !mixed-bg
works to override the default).  Of course, properly educating people
that they should be using this on small devices is going to be a much
longer and more involved task than just adding an option...