alsa-devel.alsa-project.org archive mirror
* [alsa-devel] Question about DPCM FE vs BE
@ 2019-10-09  7:57 Kuninori Morimoto
From: Kuninori Morimoto @ 2019-10-09  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown; +Cc: Linux-ALSA

Hi ALSA ML

In my understanding, DPCM needs FE and BE.
And, one FE can have multiple BE, and one BE can have multiple FE.

My question this time is that one snd_soc_pcm_runtime can be both
FE and BE in the same time (= Sometimes FE, sometimes BE) ??

In my understanding, it never happen.
But, is this correct ?

I'm asking because do we need .be_clients/.fe_clients ?
If one pcm_runtime can't be FE / BE in the same time,
just .clients is enough I think.

	static int dpcm_be_connect(...)
	{
-		list_add(&dpcm->list_be, &fe->dpcm[stream].be_clients);
-		list_add(&dpcm->list_fe, &be->dpcm[stream].fe_clients);
+		list_add(&dpcm->list_be, &fe->dpcm[stream].clients);
+		list_add(&dpcm->list_fe, &be->dpcm[stream].clients);
	}

Thank you for your help !!
Best regards
---
Kuninori Morimoto

* Re: [alsa-devel] Question about DPCM FE vs BE
@ 2019-10-09 14:20 ` Pierre-Louis Bossart
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart @ 2019-10-09 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kuninori Morimoto, Mark Brown; +Cc: Linux-ALSA

On 10/9/19 2:57 AM, Kuninori Morimoto wrote:

> Hi ALSA ML
>
> In my understanding, DPCM needs FE and BE.
> And, one FE can have multiple BE, and one BE can have multiple FE.
>
> My question this time is that one snd_soc_pcm_runtime can be both
> FE and BE in the same time (= Sometimes FE, sometimes BE) ??
>
> In my understanding, it never happen.
> But, is this correct ?

It is my understanding that the current code would not support a case
where a FE is also a BE.

That said, do we want to preclude it? at some point we probably want to
get rid of the FE/BE distinction and have 'domains' that can be chained.
So it may not be a good thing to cast a restriction in stone. If at some
point we need a list of upstream/downstream clients maybe we should keep
this.

@ 2019-10-09 23:50   ` Kuninori Morimoto
From: Kuninori Morimoto @ 2019-10-09 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre-Louis Bossart; +Cc: Linux-ALSA, Mark Brown

Hi Pierre-Louis

Thank you for your feedback

> It is my understanding that the current code would not support a case
> where a FE is also a BE.
>
> That said, do we want to preclude it? at some point we probably want
> to get rid of the FE/BE distinction and have 'domains' that can be
> chained. So it may not be a good thing to cast a restriction in
> stone. If at some point we need a list of upstream/downstream clients
> maybe we should keep this.

Yeah, "domains" is nice idea !!

But, before that, I think we need to cleanup soc-pcm.
I'm reading it, but it is too much complex, and too unreadable...
I want to cleanup it first. I believe it can help
the conversion (= FE/BE to domains).

Thank you for your help !!
Best regards
---

@ 2019-10-10  2:20     ` Pierre-Louis Bossart
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart @ 2019-10-10  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kuninori Morimoto; +Cc: Linux-ALSA, Mark Brown

>> It is my understanding that the current code would not support a case
>> where a FE is also a BE.
>>
>> That said, do we want to preclude it? at some point we probably want
>> to get rid of the FE/BE distinction and have 'domains' that can be
>> chained. So it may not be a good thing to cast a restriction in
>> stone. If at some point we need a list of upstream/downstream clients
>> maybe we should keep this.
>
> Yeah, "domains" is nice idea !!
>
> But, before that, I think we need to cleanup soc-pcm.
> I'm reading it, but it is too much complex, and too unreadable...
> I want to cleanup it first. I believe it can help
> the conversion (= FE/BE to domains).

The idea of domains/constraint propagation is not mine BTW, it was
presented by Lars some 2-3 years ago. there may be a note somewhere in
the audio miniconference minutes.

* Re: [alsa-devel] Question about DPCM FE vs BE
@ 2019-10-10  2:38       ` Kuninori Morimoto
From: Kuninori Morimoto @ 2019-10-10  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre-Louis Bossart; +Cc: Linux-ALSA, Mark Brown

Hi Pierre-Louis

> >> That said, do we want to preclude it? at some point we probably want
> >> to get rid of the FE/BE distinction and have 'domains' that can be
> >> chained. So it may not be a good thing to cast a restriction in
> >> stone. If at some point we need a list of upstream/downstream clients
> >> maybe we should keep this.
> >
> > Yeah, "domains" is nice idea !!
> >
> > But, before that, I think we need to cleanup soc-pcm.
> > I'm reading it, but it is too much complex, and too unreadable...
> > I want to cleanup it first. I believe it can help
> > the conversion (= FE/BE to domains).
>
> The idea of domains/constraint propagation is not mine BTW, it was
> presented by Lars some 2-3 years ago. there may be a note somewhere in
> the audio miniconference minutes.

Yes, I guess it was ELC-E.
My work (*) is to helpping him/his idea.

(*)	No categorize CPU/Codec/Platfrom
	modern style dai_link
	soc-core / soc-pcm cleanup (on going)
	(Semi) multi CPU support (will post)
	(Semi) no categorize CPU/Codec DAI (will post)

Thank you for your help !!
Best regards
---

@ 2019-10-10 14:07         ` Mark Brown