alsa-devel.alsa-project.org archive mirror
* No ack() calback in component driver
@ 2020-09-21 13:02 Sameer Pujar
From: Sameer Pujar @ 2020-09-21 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kuninori Morimoto
  Cc: sharadg, Linux-ALSA, Mark Brown, atalambedu, Sameer Pujar

Hi Morimoto-san,

With your commit e2cb4a14541d ("ASoC: soc-core: merge snd_pcm_ops member
to component driver") snd_pcm_ops is replaced with callback functions in
component driver. In doing so, ack() callback was not retained in
component driver.

Was this intentional because there were no users of ack() or if there
were other reasons?

Thanks,
Sameer.

* Re: No ack() calback in component driver
@ 2020-09-21 18:14 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2020-09-21 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sameer Pujar; +Cc: sharadg, Linux-ALSA, atalambedu, Kuninori Morimoto

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 06:32:48PM +0530, Sameer Pujar wrote:

> With your commit e2cb4a14541d ("ASoC: soc-core: merge snd_pcm_ops member to
> component driver") snd_pcm_ops is replaced with callback functions in
> component driver. In doing so, ack() callback was not retained in component
> driver.

> Was this intentional because there were no users of ack() or if there were
> other reasons?

I can't see any reason not to allow components to have an ack()
operation so I'd guess it was just lack of use.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: No ack() calback in component driver
@ 2020-09-24  0:21   ` Kuninori Morimoto
From: Kuninori Morimoto @ 2020-09-24  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown; +Cc: sharadg, Sameer Pujar, Linux-ALSA, atalambedu

Hi Sameer, Mark

> > With your commit e2cb4a14541d ("ASoC: soc-core: merge snd_pcm_ops member to
> > component driver") snd_pcm_ops is replaced with callback functions in
> > component driver. In doing so, ack() callback was not retained in component
> > driver.
>
> > Was this intentional because there were no users of ack() or if there were
> > other reasons?
>
> I can't see any reason not to allow components to have an ack()
> operation so I'd guess it was just lack of use.

I think I replaced existing callback only.
Thus, I think I did nothing to it if there was no users.

Thank you for your help !!

Best regards
---
Kuninori Morimoto

* Re: No ack() calback in component driver
@ 2020-09-24 13:55     ` Sameer Pujar
From: Sameer Pujar @ 2020-09-24 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kuninori Morimoto, Mark Brown; +Cc: sharadg, Linux-ALSA, atalambedu

Hi Morimoto-san,

>>> With your commit e2cb4a14541d ("ASoC: soc-core: merge snd_pcm_ops member to
>>> component driver") snd_pcm_ops is replaced with callback functions in
>>> component driver. In doing so, ack() callback was not retained in component
>>> driver.
>>> Was this intentional because there were no users of ack() or if there were
>>> other reasons?
>> I can't see any reason not to allow components to have an ack()
>> operation so I'd guess it was just lack of use.
> I think I replaced existing callback only.
> Thus, I think I did nothing to it if there was no users.

I was infact referring to [0] in which you added callbacks directly in
component driver. Later in the same series [1] 'snd_pcm_ops' was removed
from 'snd_soc_component_driver'. It looks like at that point of time
'snd_pcm_ops' had ack() callback. The reason for asking this is, for a
driver (not yet in upstream) some implementation depended on this
callback() and while moving to component it was noticed that ack() is
not present in component. I guess without an user it is not recommended
to add this callback. In that case I will push it along with the driver
once it is ready.

[0] Link:
https://lore.kernel.org/r/87tv8raf3r.wl-kuninori.morimoto.gx@renesas.com
[1]