ceph-devel.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Understanding what ceph-volume does, with bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring, tmpfs
@ 2020-09-21 14:14 Marc Roos
From: Marc Roos @ 2020-09-21 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel, ceph-users

When I create a new encrypted osd with ceph volume[1]

I assume something like this is being done, please correct what is
wrong.

- it creates the pv on the block device
- it creates the ceph vg on the block device
- it creates the osd lv in the vg
- it uses cryptsetup to encrypt this lv
  (or is there some internal support for luks in lvm?)
- it sets all the tags on the vg (shown by: lvs -o lv_tags vg)
- it creates and enables ceph-volume@lvm-osdid-osdfsid
- it creates and enables ceph-osd@osdid

When a node is restarted, these lvm osds are started with
- running ceph-volume@lvm-osdid-osdfsid (creating this tmpfs mount?)
- running ceph-osd@osdid

Q1: I had to create bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring (ownership root.root).
For what is that being used? Does it need to exist upon node restart?

Q2: I had some issues with a node starting, solving this with adding a
nofail to the fstab. How is this done with ceph-volume?

Q3: Why these strange permissions on the mounted folder?
drwxrwxrwt  2 ceph ceph 340 Sep 19 15:24 ceph-40

Q4: Where is this luks passphrase stored?

Q5: Where does this tmpfs+content come from? How can I mount this myself
from the command line?

Q6: My lvm tags show ceph.crush_device_class=None, while ceph osd tree
shows the correct class. Is this correct?

Q7: I saw in my ceph-volume output sometimes 'disabling cephx', what
does this mean? How can I verify this and fix it?

Links to manuals are also welcome, these ceph-volume[2] are not to clear
about this.

[1]
ceph-volume lvm create --data /dev/sdk --dmcrypt

[2]
https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/ceph-volume/lvm/activate/

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-09-21 15:08 UTC | newest]