cip-dev.lists.cip-project.org archive mirror
* [cip-dev] Can CIP have a group account in kernel.org
@ 2018-08-23  8:49 Agustín Benito Bethencourt
From: Agustín Benito Bethencourt @ 2018-08-23  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Ben,

it seems that LTSI[1] and XEN[2] has group accounts at kernel.org

At today's IRC meeting, some of the attendees were wondering if we can also have one so we can transfer the kernel from your personal account to the group account, having the new kernel maintainer as "account admin". Is that possible? Do we need to ask somebody about it?

Best Regards

[1] http://git.linuxfoundation.org/?p=ltsi-kernel.git
[2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/xen/tip.git/about/
--
Agust?n Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant

* [cip-dev] Can CIP have a group account in kernel.org
@ 2018-08-23  8:55 ` Daniel Sangorrin
From: Daniel Sangorrin @ 2018-08-23  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Agustin,

Just a small fix: ltsi is not in kernel.org but in the linuxfoundation (as your links show). There are other groups such as "stable" and "rt" in kernel.org.

Best regards,
Daniel

@ 2018-08-23  9:15   ` Daniel Wagner
From: Daniel Wagner @ 2018-08-23  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi,

On 23.08.2018 10:55, Daniel Sangorrin wrote:
> Hi Agustin,
>
> Just a small fix: ltsi is not in kernel.org but in the linuxfoundation (as your links show). There are other groups such as "stable" and "rt" in kernel.org.

Obviously, if you move Ben's tree to the new cip group, you should also
move my linux-cip-rt tree.

Thanks,
Daniel

* [cip-dev] Can CIP have a group account in kernel.org
@ 2018-09-13 15:32 ` Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2018-09-13 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On Thu, 2018-08-23 at 09:49 +0100, Agust?n Benito Bethencourt wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> it seems that LTSI[1] and XEN[2] has group accounts at kernel.org
>
> At today's IRC meeting, some of the attendees were wondering if we
> can also have one so we can transfer the kernel from your personal
> account to the group account, having the new kernel maintainer as
> "account admin". Is that possible? Do we need to ask somebody about
> it?

Sorry for the slow response.

All members of a group need to already have kernel.org accounts.  The
process for getting an account is described at
<https://korg.wiki.kernel.org/userdoc/accounts>.  There is no guarantee
that developers contracted to maintain the CIP kernel would be approved
to get an account.  Getting the necessary PGP key signatures, which
requires in-person meetings, could be difficult for some.

My understanding is that there is no such thing as a group
administrator.  Group membership is managed directly by the kernel.org
administrators at the request of the existing members.  However, in my
experience with the linux-firmware.git repository, Konstantin responds
to these requests quickly.

I understand the desire to have the CIP kernel hosted on
git.kernel.org, to convey that we're part of the kernel development
community.  But I'm not sure that it's actually worth the trouble.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Software Developer                ?        Codethink Ltd
https://www.codethink.co.uk/                 Dale House, 35 Dale Street