cip-dev.lists.cip-project.org archive mirror
* [cip-dev] RT testing
       [not found] <TYAPR01MB2285F72DD7C51D8D1E2C38B3B7F10@TYAPR01MB2285.jpnprd01.prod.outlook.com>
@ 2019-07-15  8:41 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2019-07-15  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi!

(List added to the cc).

> Here are the links I was pasting into the Zoom chat regarding RT testing.

Thanks for all the help!

I got -cip-rt kernel to work on EBV Socrates, and it seems to be
suitable machine for testing. Latencies are under 70 usec under normal
loads. They go up-to 150 usec in longer tests and under very heavy
loads... These results are also consistent with osdal data:
https://www.osadl.org/Latency-plot-of-system-in-rack-7-slot.qa-latencyplot-r7s5.0.html?shadow=1

On iwg20m, I was getting 299 usec on cyclictest alone (job/1726) and
some mysterious 2000usec+ latencies on 4.19.50-cip3-rt1 (job/1797). I verified
Thinkpad X60 is not suitable due to hwlat. Thinkpad T40p is somehow
more promising (nothing detected by hwlat), but latencies cyclictest
is often in 500 usec range, and I have seen 755 usec with
4.4.176-cip31-rt23.

So.. EBV Socrates seems like best board to test on. Fortunately we
have very similar board in the lab:
https://lava.ciplatform.org/scheduler/device_type/Altera-Terasic-Deo-Nano
.

I believe we should do the following steps:

1) Add -rt configuration for socfpga to cip-kernel-config repositories
   (me)

2) Enable CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS=y in all configs (realtime or not) so
   we have comparison (me)

3) Prepare rt and non-rt kernels for socfpga. (I can do it one time,
   but it would be good to do it automatically as part of checkin tests).

4) Tune cyclictest (length of test, background load) so that it
   reproduces cca 100 usec latency on socfpga. If we set threshold to
   cca 200 usec, it should consistently fail on non-RT_FULL
   configurations. (I'll need help).

Best regards,
								Pavel
From: Punit Agrawal @ 2020-01-20  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Chris Paterson <Chris.Paterson2@renesas.com> writes:

> Hello Punit,

Apologies for the confusion - I was referring to the inline comments
further down in the previous mail.

[...]

* [cip-dev] RT Testing
@ 2020-01-17 11:39       ` Chris Paterson
From: Chris Paterson @ 2020-01-17 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Chris Paterson @ 2020-01-17 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
> Just thinking out loud below so please bear with me if I'm just stating
> the obvious.

Please do ??

> Chris Paterson <Chris.Paterson2@renesas.com> writes:
>
> > Hello,

True.

> If that makes sense, then we should make it easy to create derived
> images / filesystems that include additional software as needed for the
> task at hand, e.g., testing CIP kernels.

Good point, agreed.

> In addition, there is a need to test the functionality provided by the
> core components, i.e., CIP-core packages along with relevant kernels on
> supported devices. As yet, I don't think these tests exist (or even
> defined).

This is something we do indeed need to do.

Thanks, Chris

> But I'm new to the project so am very likely missing things.
>
> Thanks,
> Punit
>
> [...]

* [cip-dev] RT Testing
@ 2020-01-17  1:41     ` kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp
From: kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp @ 2020-01-17  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Chris,

> Hello,

[...]
> [...]

> > > A while back Daniel Wagner also did some work on a Jitterdebugger test [3],
> > but it hasn't been merged yet and I'm not
> > > sure what the current status is. Any updates Daniel?
> > >
> > > Is anyone able to provide RT config/defconfigs for the x86 and arm boards in
> > the Mentor lab? Or BBB, QEMU etc.? (assuming
> > > that the hardware is suitable).
> > >

> > > [0]
> > > https://github.com/Linaro/test-
> > definitions/commit/4b5c46f275632932b3045f2ee16ad9cae5bb482d#diff-
> > c724b852b75aefda2cc3
> > > 505c4517828dR50
> > > [1] https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/download.cip-project.org/cip-
> > core/iwg20m/core-image-minimal-iwg20m.tar.gz
> > > [2] https://github.com/Linaro/test-definitions/blob/master/automated/linux
> > > [3] https://github.com/igaw/test-definitions/blob/preempt-
> > rt/automated/linux/jitterdebugger/jitterdebugger.yaml

* [cip-dev] RT Testing
@ 2020-01-17  1:01     ` Punit Agrawal
From: Punit Agrawal @ 2020-01-17  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

@ 2020-01-16 17:13   ` Daniel Wagner
From: Daniel Wagner @ 2020-01-16 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 02:25:27PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Even basic cyclictest is good to have, but it would be really good to
> have some kind of background load. I'd expect latency to raise by
> factor of 3 in make -j 5 of kernel.

I've been experimenting with compiling the kernel as workload to
trigger latency spikes. So far this test didn't trigger one. It is
quite good to see if there are performance rgressions (it takes
suddenly longer). As long there is enough space on the device and all
tools are available it's okay to run it.

I found it a bit difficult to use it in lava because the rootfs
doesn't bring all the tools and the kernel source it takes ages to
setup.

> I tried to come up with simpler test reproducing comparable latencies,
> but I did not get there. This creates cca factor of two for me:
>
> cat /dev/urandom | head -c 10000000 | gzip -9 - > delme.random.gz
> echo "Initial phase done"
> for A in `seq 222`; do
>     ( zcat delme.random.gz | gzip -9 - | zcat > /dev/null; echo -n [$A done] ) &
> done
>
> What is easily available on the test systems? gzip? python? bzip2?

I am using rt-tests and plan to run more stressors from
stress-ng. This seems to give a good reproducable workload and really
stresses the system.

Thanks,
Daniel

* [cip-dev] RT Testing
@ 2020-01-16 13:25 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2020-01-16 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi!

> Addressing this email to all of you as both RT and CIP Core are involved.
>
> I started to look into RT testing in more detail today.
>
> I've created an RT configuration for the RZ/G1 boards:
> https://gitlab.com/patersonc/cip-kernel-config/blob/chris/add_renesas_rt_configs/4.4.y-cip-rt/arm/renesas_shmobile-rt_defconfig
> I'll do something similar for the RZ/G2 boards soon.
>
> Built it with linux-4.4.y-cip-rt and run cyclic test:
> https://lava.ciplatform.org/scheduler/job/9828
> Times look okay to an rt-untrained eye:
> T: 0 ( 1169) P:98 I:1000 C:  59993 Min:     13 Act:   16 Avg:   16 Max:      33
>
> Compared to a run with linux-4.4.y-cip:
> https://lava.ciplatform.org/scheduler/job/9829
> T: 0 (  938) P:98 I:1000 C:   6000 Min:   1618 Act: 9604 Avg: 9603 Max:   14550
>
> Pavel, does the above look okay/useful to you? Or is cyclictest not worth running unless there is some load on the system?

Even basic cyclictest is good to have, but it would be really good to
have some kind of background load. I'd expect latency to raise by
factor of 3 in make -j 5 of kernel.

I tried to come up with simpler test reproducing comparable latencies,
but I did not get there. This creates cca factor of two for me:

cat /dev/urandom | head -c 10000000 | gzip -9 - > delme.random.gz
echo "Initial phase done"
for A in `seq 222`; do
    ( zcat delme.random.gz | gzip -9 - | zcat > /dev/null; echo -n [$A done] ) &
done

What is easily available on the test systems? gzip? python? bzip2?

Best regards,
								Pavel
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 05:01:54PM +0000, Chris Paterson wrote:
> > Hello Pavel, Hayashi-san, Jan, Daniel,
> >
> > Addressing this email to all of you as both RT and CIP Core are involved.
> >
> > I started to look into RT testing in more detail today.
>
> Welcome on board :)
>
> > I've created an RT configuration for the RZ/G1 boards:
> > https://gitlab.com/patersonc/cip-kernel-
> config/blob/chris/add_renesas_rt_configs/4.4.y-cip-rt/arm/renesas_shmobile-
> rt_defconfig
> > I'll do something similar for the RZ/G2 boards soon.
>
> I am using merge_config.sh to build the configuration. There are some
> catches but generally it works good. I've hacked a small tool for
> automization around it. With this the configuration is allways
> generated from scratch using kconfig.

Not a bad idea. I'll give it a go. Do you have an 'RT' config fragment you can share?
I guess it depends on what approach the Kernel maintainers would rather take.

Maintainers: Do we want dedicated RT configurations for CIP? Or just try and apply RT to all configurations (or a sub-selection) in cip-kernel-configs?

> [...]
>    0_signaltest         t0-max-latency      : pass      29.00
>    0_signaltest         t0-avg-latency      : pass       8.00
>    0_signaltest         t0-min-latency      : pass       4.00
>    0_sigwaittest        t3-2-max-latency    : pass      16.00
>    0_sigwaittest        t3-2-avg-latency    : pass       4.00
>    0_sigwaittest        t3-2-min-latency    : pass       2.00
>    0_sigwaittest        t1-0-max-latency    : pass      24.00
>    0_sigwaittest        t1-0-avg-latency    : pass       4.00
>    0_sigwaittest        t1-0-min-latency    : pass       2.00
>    0_svsematest         t3-2-max-latency    : pass      13.00
>    0_svsematest         t3-2-avg-latency    : pass       4.00
>    0_svsematest         t3-2-min-latency    : pass       2.00
>    0_svsematest         t1-0-max-latency    : pass      13.00
>    0_svsematest         t1-0-avg-latency    : pass       4.00
>    0_svsematest         t1-0-min-latency    : pass       2.00
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-lsb_release: pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-lscpu   : pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-ifconfig: pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-vmstat  : pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-uname   : pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-pwd     : pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-lsb_release: pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-lscpu   : pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-ifconfig: pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-vmstat  : pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-uname   : pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-pwd     : pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-lsb_release: pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-lscpu   : pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-ifconfig: pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-vmstat  : pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-uname   : pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-pwd     : pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-lsb_release: pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-lscpu   : pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-ifconfig: pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-vmstat  : pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-uname   : pass
>    0_smoke-tests        linux-posix-pwd     : pass
>

> Trying to figure out from the web interface of LAVA is a bit
> combersome.
>
> > Do either of the CIP Core profiles include Python support?
> >
> > Linaro test-definitions [2] have the following tests marked within the preempt-
> rt scope:
> >   cyclicdeadline/cyclicdeadline.yaml
> >   pmqtest/pmqtest.yaml
> >   rt-migrate-test/rt-migrate-test.yaml
> >   cyclictest/cyclictest.yaml
> >   svsematest/svsematest.yaml
> >   pi-stress/pi-stress.yaml
> >   signaltest/signaltest.yaml
> >   ptsematest/ptsematest.yaml
> >   sigwaittest/sigwaittest.yaml
> >   hackbench/hackbench.yaml
> >   ltp-realtime/ltp-realtime.yaml
>
> See above.
>
> > Which of the above would be valuable to run on CIP RT Kernels?
>
> Basically you want to run all of the tests in rt-tests.

Does the RT project currently do (or have plans to do) the same?
https://ci-rt.linutronix.de/RT-Test/ seems to indicate that only cyclictest is run (with and without hackbench).

> > A while back Daniel Wagner also did some work on a Jitterdebugger
> > test [3], but it hasn't been merged yet and I'm not sure what the
> > current status is. Any updates Daniel?
>
> Yeah, I was holding a bit back until I am happy with my setup and
> workflow. One of the major limitations with the current
> test-definitions is the difficulties to setup background workload. To
> make it short, I am not too happy with my current version but it
> works.

Okay.

> > Is anyone able to provide RT config/defconfigs for the x86 and arm
> > boards in the Mentor lab? Or BBB, QEMU etc.? (assuming that the
> > hardware is suitable).
>
> If you are interested in my configs I have configs for ARMv7 (bbb),
> ARMv8 (RPi3) and x86_64 via my hacktool. It also builds the kernel
> because I didn't setup kernelci for it, so in short I get a complete
> config, build, test setup via 'srt-build bbb lava'

Maybe just the 'RT' config fragment will be enough.

Thanks, Chris

> Thanks,
> Daniel

* [cip-dev] RT Testing
@ 2020-01-16 10:42     ` kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp
From: kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp @ 2020-01-16 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Daniel,

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 06:54:54AM +0000,
> kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp wrote:
> > BTW, it would be better to confirm which Python version (2.7 or 3) that cyclictest.sh depends on.
> > Do you know anything about this?
>
> cyclictest.sh uses automated/lib/parse_rt_tests_results.py to parse
> the results. The python code runs with either Python2 or Python3
>
> $ python3 -m py_compile  ./automated/lib/parse_rt_tests_results.py
> $ python2 -m py_compile  ./automated/lib/parse_rt_tests_results.py

Thank you for the information.
Relieved to know that no dependency on specific python version :)

Thanks,
Kazu

> Thanks,
> Daniel

* [cip-dev] RT Testing
@ 2020-01-16  9:57   ` Chris Paterson
From: Chris Paterson @ 2020-01-16  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
> [...]

> > A while back Daniel Wagner also did some work on a Jitterdebugger test [3],
> but it hasn't been merged yet and I'm not
> > sure what the current status is. Any updates Daniel?
> >
> > Is anyone able to provide RT config/defconfigs for the x86 and arm boards in
> the Mentor lab? Or BBB, QEMU etc.? (assuming
> > that the hardware is suitable).
> >

> > [0]
> > https://github.com/Linaro/test-
> definitions/commit/4b5c46f275632932b3045f2ee16ad9cae5bb482d#diff-
> c724b852b75aefda2cc3
> > 505c4517828dR50
> > [1] https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/download.cip-project.org/cip-
> core/iwg20m/core-image-minimal-iwg20m.tar.gz
> > [2] https://github.com/Linaro/test-definitions/blob/master/automated/linux
> > [3] https://github.com/igaw/test-definitions/blob/preempt-
> rt/automated/linux/jitterdebugger/jitterdebugger.yaml

* [cip-dev] RT Testing
@ 2020-01-16  9:24 ` Daniel Wagner
From: Daniel Wagner @ 2020-01-16  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

@ 2020-01-16  9:24   ` Daniel Wagner
From: Daniel Wagner @ 2020-01-16  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

@ 2020-01-16  6:54 ` kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp
From: kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp @ 2020-01-16  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your updates!

> Hello Pavel, Hayashi-san, Jan, Daniel,

[...]
> Currently there is an issue with the way that the cyclic test case results are shown (i.e. they aren't) in LAVA due to
> a change [0] made to Linaro's cyclictest.sh.
> That means that the test parsing now depends on Python, which isn't included in the cip-core RFS [1] that is currently
> being used.
>
> Do either of the CIP Core profiles include Python support?

At the moment, we've just started creating the supported package list, so I cannot clearly say Yes.
However, at least, the both profiles can create an image including python only for testing
because the python packages are already provided in upstream projects (isar, meta-debian).

Whether CIP Core provides Python packages or not depends on
what kind of packages will be proposed (requested) by CIP WGs in future.
Currently, several packages which depend on Python packages would be
included in the next proposal from security WG (under review now).

BTW, it would be better to confirm which Python version (2.7 or 3) that cyclictest.sh depends on.
Do you know anything about this?

Kazu

> Linaro test-definitions [2] have the following tests marked within the preempt-rt scope:
>   cyclicdeadline/cyclicdeadline.yaml
>   pmqtest/pmqtest.yaml
>   rt-migrate-test/rt-migrate-test.yaml
>   cyclictest/cyclictest.yaml
>   svsematest/svsematest.yaml
>   pi-stress/pi-stress.yaml
>   signaltest/signaltest.yaml
>   ptsematest/ptsematest.yaml
>   sigwaittest/sigwaittest.yaml
>   hackbench/hackbench.yaml
>   ltp-realtime/ltp-realtime.yaml
>
> Which of the above would be valuable to run on CIP RT Kernels?
>
> A while back Daniel Wagner also did some work on a Jitterdebugger test [3], but it hasn't been merged yet and I'm not
> sure what the current status is. Any updates Daniel?
>
> Is anyone able to provide RT config/defconfigs for the x86 and arm boards in the Mentor lab? Or BBB, QEMU etc.? (assuming
> that the hardware is suitable).
>

> [0]
> https://github.com/Linaro/test-definitions/commit/4b5c46f275632932b3045f2ee16ad9cae5bb482d#diff-c724b852b75aefda2cc3
> 505c4517828dR50