cip-dev.lists.cip-project.org archive mirror
* [cip-dev] About CIP kernel maintenance policy for new hardware support backporting
@ 2019-07-10  6:34 hiraku.toyooka at cybertrust.co.jp
From: hiraku.toyooka at cybertrust.co.jp @ 2019-07-10  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello,

I have a question about CIP kernel maintenance policy.
Can CIP kernel accept backport patches for new hardware support (not
only fixes)?

I read the following document and it seems to describe only acceptable fixes.
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipkernelmaintenance

On the other hand, Current linux-4.19.y-cip branch accepts some hardware
support patches such as RZ/G2E(r8a774c0) from upstream.
So I wonder if some policy about new hardware support exists.

--
Hiraku Toyooka
Cybertrust Japan Co., Ltd.

* [cip-dev] About CIP kernel maintenance policy for new hardware support backporting
@ 2019-07-10 12:55 ` Yoshitake Kobayashi
From: Yoshitake Kobayashi @ 2019-07-10 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi,

Thanks for pointed out.
You can find the following sentence on the page.
> an SLTS branch may include larger changes to support new hardware, to
bridge the gap between SLTS branches.

I think we need to write much clear to mention what kind of patches we can
accept to CIP SLTS tree and how to approve(?) it by CIP.

Best regards,
Yoshi

2019?7?10?(?) 15:42 <hiraku.toyooka@cybertrust.co.jp>:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question about CIP kernel maintenance policy.
> Can CIP kernel accept backport patches for new hardware support (not
> only fixes)?
>
> I read the following document and it seems to describe only acceptable
> fixes.
>
> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipkernelmaintenance
>
> On the other hand, Current linux-4.19.y-cip branch accepts some hardware
> support patches such as RZ/G2E(r8a774c0) from upstream.
> So I wonder if some policy about new hardware support exists.
>
> --
> Hiraku Toyooka
> Cybertrust Japan Co., Ltd.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [cip-dev] About CIP kernel maintenance policy for new hardware support backporting
@ 2019-07-10 23:47   ` nobuhiro1.iwamatsu at toshiba.co.jp
From: nobuhiro1.iwamatsu at toshiba.co.jp @ 2019-07-10 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi,

> Thanks for pointed out.
> You can find the following sentence on the page.
> > an SLTS branch may include larger changes to support new hardware, to bridge the gap between SLTS branches.
>
> I think we need to write much clear to mention what kind of patches we can accept to CIP SLTS tree and how to approve(?) it by CIP.

Agree.

We think that we need to add the following sentences.
---
We do not apply patches that have not been applied to upstream
 (Linus tree:https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git).
If you want to add new features or hardware, they need to be applied into upstream.
Also, you may not be able to easily apply the patches on Upstream. In such a case,
you need to describe in the commit message of patch what modifications have been made
from the original patch.
---

In addition to these, we may need to describe the supported hardware (CPU, boards) and
test environment as well.

Best regards,
  Nobuhiro

@ 2019-07-11  7:32     ` hiraku.toyooka at cybertrust.co.jp
From: hiraku.toyooka at cybertrust.co.jp @ 2019-07-11  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi,

> You can find the following sentence on the page.
> > an SLTS branch may include larger changes to support new hardware, to bridge the gap between SLTS branches.

Oh, I missed the sentence. Thank you very much for telling it.

> In addition to these, we may need to describe the supported hardware (CPU, boards) and
> test environment as well.

Is the backporting limited to the supported hardware?

Best regards,
Hiraku Toyooka

2019?7?11?(?) 8:47 <nobuhiro1.iwamatsu@toshiba.co.jp>:

> Hi,
>

> > Thanks for pointed out.
> > You can find the following sentence on the page.
> > > an SLTS branch may include larger changes to support new hardware, to bridge the gap between SLTS branches.
> >
> > I think we need to write much clear to mention what kind of patches we can accept to CIP SLTS tree and how to approve(?) it by CIP.
>
> Agree.
>
> We think that we need to add the following sentences.
> ---
> We do not apply patches that have not been applied to upstream
>  (Linus tree:https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git).
> If you want to add new features or hardware, they need to be applied into upstream.
> Also, you may not be able to easily apply the patches on Upstream. In such a case,
> you need to describe in the commit message of patch what modifications have been made
> from the original patch.
> ---
>
> In addition to these, we may need to describe the supported hardware (CPU, boards) and
> test environment as well.
>
> Best regards,
>   Nobuhiro

Hiraku Toyooka