cip-dev.lists.cip-project.org archive mirror
* [cip-dev] Next Debian kernel: when will it be announced?
@ 2018-09-13 16:21 Agustín Benito Bethencourt
From: Agustín Benito Bethencourt @ 2018-09-13 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Ben,

do you know when approximately will the Debian project announce the version of the new kernel?

Best Regards

--
Agust?n Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant

* [cip-dev] Next Debian kernel: when will it be announced?
@ 2018-09-13 16:31 ` Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2018-09-13 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On Thu, 2018-09-13 at 18:21 +0200, Agust?n Benito Bethencourt wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> do you know when approximately will the Debian project announce the
> version of the new kernel?

The Debian project will announce it when Debian 10 is released. :-)
But the kernel team will obviously make the decision long before then.
I will propose to use 4.19 and I don't anticipate any disagreement with
that.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Software Developer                ?        Codethink Ltd
https://www.codethink.co.uk/                 Dale House, 35 Dale Street

* [cip-dev] Next Debian kernel: when will it be announced?
@ 2018-09-16 18:09   ` Zoran S
From: Zoran S @ 2018-09-16 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello ABB,

According what my best friend (google.com) in similar affairs says:
https://linuxhint.com/debian-10-release-date/

*In a recent announcement, the Debian team stated, ?In order to minimize
the freeze length, we have shortened the transition freeze by one month.?
As such, the transition freeze of Debian 10 is planned on January 12, 2019,
with Buster?s soft-freeze scheduled for February 12.?We do not have a fixed
release date, but, given the cadence of previous releases, it is likely
that the release date will be some time mid-2019.  We certainly hope to
improve the length of the full freeze, and you can help with that by
ensuring that you are ready for these milestones,? added the Debian team in
the same announcement.*

Best Regards,
Zoran
_______

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 6:31 PM Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings@codethink.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2018-09-13 at 18:21 +0200, Agust?n Benito Bethencourt wrote:
> > Hi Ben,
> >
> > do you know when approximately will the Debian project announce the
> > version of the new kernel?
>
> The Debian project will announce it when Debian 10 is released. :-)
> But the kernel team will obviously make the decision long before then.
> I will propose to use 4.19 and I don't anticipate any disagreement with
> that.
>
> Ben.
>
> --
> Ben Hutchings, Software Developer                         Codethink Ltd
> https://www.codethink.co.uk/                 Dale House, 35 Dale Street
>                                      Manchester, M1 2HF, United Kingdom

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [cip-dev] Next Debian kernel: when will it be announced?
@ 2019-01-30 15:04 ` Zoran S
From: Zoran S @ 2019-01-30 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

I finally got to the point that I can upgrade my custom VBox VM with
Lava sans Vagrant from preseeded Debian 9 to Debian 10.

Here is what I got (empirically):

root at stretch1-hostname:~# cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
ID=debian
HOME_URL="https://www.debian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://www.debian.org/support"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/"
root at stretch1-hostname:~# uname -a
Linux stretch1-hostname 4.19.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.12-1
(2018-12-22) x86_64 GNU/Linux
root at stretch1-hostname:~#

Cheers,
Zoran