cip-dev.lists.cip-project.org archive mirror
* [cip-dev] [cip-core] Package Proposal #1 (Security packages)
@ 2019-12-09 13:54 kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp
From: kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp @ 2019-12-09 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello CIP Core members,

I would like to start the "review" phase (Phase 2) of the attached package proposal.
https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-core/cip-pkglist/blob/master/doc/pdp.md#phase-2-proposal-review

The packages are proposed by CIP security WG to satisfy their required features.
See the "reason" fields in the proposal for more details.

Please reply with you opinion, agree or disagree.
If you cannot agree to add specific packages, please show the reasons as well.

Due Date: December 23rd
(We can extend this due date if more time required for reviews, please let me know if any requests)

Best regards,
Kazu

* [cip-dev] [cip-core] Package Proposal #1 (Security packages)
@ 2019-12-19  9:36 ` Kento Yoshida
From: Kento Yoshida @ 2019-12-19  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Kazu and CIP Core working group members,

>From Renesas, agree with this proposal.

Best regards,
Kent

@ 2019-12-19 10:48 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-12-19 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On 09.12.19 14:54, kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp wrote:
> Hello CIP Core members,
>
> I would like to start the "review" phase (Phase 2) of the attached package proposal.
> https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-core/cip-pkglist/blob/master/doc/pdp.md#phase-2-proposal-review
>
> The packages are proposed by CIP security WG to satisfy their required features.
> See the "reason" fields in the proposal for more details.
>
> Please reply with you opinion, agree or disagree.
> If you cannot agree to add specific packages, please show the reasons as well.
>
> Due Date: December 23rd
> (We can extend this due date if more time required for reviews, please let me know if any requests)

[...]

>   chrony:
>     bin_pkgs:
>       chrony:
>         depends:
>         - init-system-helpers
>         - adduser
>         - iproute2
>         - lsb-base
>         - ucf
>         - libc6
>         - libcap2
>         - libedit2
>         - libnettle6
>         - libseccomp2
>     in_target: 'True'
>     n_cve: '10'
>     reason: For supporting IEC-62443-4-2 certification for CR 2.11, 2.11(1)
>     security_criteria: network::server, network::service

Why still chrony, why not simply systemd timers? Legacy?

>   suricata:
>     bin_pkgs:
>       suricata:
>         depends:
>         - dpkg
>         - python
>         - python-simplejson

I'm missing the new dependencies in the top-list. Didn't
we agree on listing them flat? This, e.g., pulls python, currently even
v2 - anything but a trivial package. Or did I miss that we have this in
our list already?

Jan

* [cip-dev] [cip-core] Package Proposal #1 (Security packages)
@ 2019-12-20  2:25   ` Kento Yoshida
From: Kento Yoshida @ 2019-12-20  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Thank you for your feedback, Jan.

> Why still chrony, why not simply systemd timers? Legacy?

We agree that systemd-timesyncd is sufficient for users who need only SNTP client functionality.
The reason we want to add Chrony to our core packages is to support various use cases, and because Chrony is recognized by CII as being a superior secure NTP implementation.
https://www.coreinfrastructure.org/blogs/securing-network-time/

Since the CII aims to invest in core infrastructure, providing funding for fundamental projects, I think "chrony" would be more secure and sustainable.

>>   suricata:
>>     bin_pkgs:
>>       suricata:
>>         depends:
>>         - dpkg
>>         - python
>>         - python-simplejson
>
> I'm missing the new dependencies in the top-list. Didn't we agree on listing them flat?
> This, e.g., pulls python, currently even v2 - anything but a trivial package. Or did I miss that we have this in our list already?

@kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp and @Dinesh Kumar,
Do you need a script modification to address this issue?
Actually, proposals for run-time dependencies package of top-lists are still in preparation and are under investigation in the security working group.
The automatic outputs of the script have been used as it is for the dependencies package displayed in this proposal.

Best regards,
Kent
> I would like to start the "review" phase (Phase 2) of the attached package proposal.
> https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-core/cip-pkglist/blob/master/doc/pd
> p.md#phase-2-proposal-review
>
> The packages are proposed by CIP security WG to satisfy their required features.
> See the "reason" fields in the proposal for more details.
>
> Please reply with you opinion, agree or disagree.
> If you cannot agree to add specific packages, please show the reasons as well.
>
> Due Date: December 23rd
> (We can extend this due date if more time required for reviews, please
> let me know if any requests)

[...]

@ 2019-12-20  2:47     ` daniel.sangorrin at toshiba.co.jp
From: daniel.sangorrin at toshiba.co.jp @ 2019-12-20  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

> From: cip-dev <cip-dev-bounces@lists.cip-project.org> On Behalf Of Kento Yoshida
> Thank you for your feedback, Jan.
>
> > Why still chrony, why not simply systemd timers? Legacy?
>
> We agree that systemd-timesyncd is sufficient for users who need only SNTP client functionality.
> The reason we want to add Chrony to our core packages is to support various use cases, and because Chrony is
> recognized by CII as being a superior secure NTP implementation.
> https://www.coreinfrastructure.org/blogs/securing-network-time/
>
> Since the CII aims to invest in core infrastructure, providing funding for fundamental projects, I think "chrony" would
> be more secure and sustainable.

Yoshida-san:
I agree with you that systemd-timesyncd is sufficient for most cases but chrony is superior and has more features including symmetric key authentication or reliability to intermittent connections..

Everyone:
There are two "suggested" dependencies that you weren't included.
- sug: dnsutils
Clientes proporcionados con BIND
- sug: networkd-dispatcher
Dispatcher service for systemd-networkd connection status changes

Perhaps it would be good to provide a reason for excluding or including those. Is this specified in the guide to add a new package?

Everyones:
There are dependencies such as "libseccomp2" or "iproute2" that may affect how the kernel should be configured. Should we also include that information somewhere?

Thanks,
Daniel

@ 2019-12-20  7:38     ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-12-20  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On 20.12.19 03:25, Kento Yoshida wrote:
> Thank you for your feedback, Jan.
>
>> Why still chrony, why not simply systemd timers? Legacy?
>
> We agree that systemd-timesyncd is sufficient for users who need only SNTP client functionality.
> The reason we want to add Chrony to our core packages is to support various use cases, and because Chrony is recognized by CII as being a superior secure NTP implementation.
> https://www.coreinfrastructure.org/blogs/securing-network-time/
>
> Since the CII aims to invest in core infrastructure, providing funding for fundamental projects, I think "chrony" would be more secure and sustainable.

Oops, I actually confused cron and chrony here. Interestingly, the
question "can't systemd do that?" remained valid :).

I agree to pick the more mature solution for this purpose.

>>>    suricata:
>>>      bin_pkgs:
>>>        suricata:
>>>          depends:
>>>          - dpkg
>>>          - python
>>>          - python-simplejson
>>
>> I'm missing the new dependencies in the top-list. Didn't we agree on listing them flat?
>> This, e.g., pulls python, currently even v2 - anything but a trivial package. Or did I miss that we have this in our list already?
>
> @kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp and @Dinesh Kumar,
> Do you need a script modification to address this issue?
> Actually, proposals for run-time dependencies package of top-lists are still in preparation and are under investigation in the security working group.
> The automatic outputs of the script have been used as it is for the dependencies package displayed in this proposal.

We can only decide about package sets which have their runtime
dependencies already fulfilled with the existing package set (where is
that now, BTW?) or include these dependencies in the set. I only checked
suricata because of the outstanding python dependency, but there might
be more issue. This needs to be checked carefully again.

Jan

@ 2019-12-20  9:58       ` kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp
From: kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp @ 2019-12-20  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello,

> On 20.12.19 03:25, Kento Yoshida wrote:
> > Thank you for your feedback, Jan.
> >
> >> Why still chrony, why not simply systemd timers? Legacy?
> >
> > We agree that systemd-timesyncd is sufficient for users who need only SNTP client functionality.
> > The reason we want to add Chrony to our core packages is to support various use cases, and because Chrony is recognized
> by CII as being a superior secure NTP implementation.
> > https://www.coreinfrastructure.org/blogs/securing-network-time/
> >
> > Since the CII aims to invest in core infrastructure, providing funding for fundamental projects, I think "chrony"
> would be more secure and sustainable.
> >

> Oops, I actually confused cron and chrony here. Interestingly, the
> question "can't systemd do that?" remained valid :).
>
> I agree to pick the more mature solution for this purpose.

> >> I'm missing the new dependencies in the top-list. Didn't we agree on listing them flat?
> >> This, e.g., pulls python, currently even v2 - anything but a trivial package. Or did I miss that we have this in
> our list already?
> >
> > @kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp and @Dinesh Kumar,
> > Do you need a script modification to address this issue?

We need to reconsider the format of proposal.yml (and scripts as well).
It seems not to be reviewed enough.

> > Actually, proposals for run-time dependencies package of top-lists are still in preparation and are under investigation
> in the security working group.
> > The automatic outputs of the script have been used as it is for the dependencies package displayed in this proposal.
>
> We can only decide about package sets which have their runtime
> dependencies already fulfilled with the existing package set (where is
> that now, BTW?) or include these dependencies in the set.

I'm assuming the "existing package set" is the list of packages that are already accepted by CIP.
If so, there is no such list because this is the first proposal.

Also, it's difficult for me to agree with the opinion that
"all runtime dependencies must be fullfilled with the existing package set" because
1) Some dependency (binary) packages are not functionally necessary
   from the CIP's long-term support point of view (debconf, debian-archive-keyring, etc.)
2) The list including all dependencies may become big for CIP's "OSBL"
   (e.g. If following this, the security package proposal pulls around 90 packages finally)

> I only checked
> suricata because of the outstanding python dependency, but there might
> be more issue. This needs to be checked carefully again.

Yes, we need to share the concrete examples of packages, PDP steps, and the format of yml.
I will prepare this and will share in the next week.

So, please suspend this proposal process until requirements of all members become clear.

Kazu

@ 2019-12-20 10:10         ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-12-20 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi all,

On 20.12.19 10:58, kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp wrote:

>> our list already?
>>>
>>> @kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp and @Dinesh Kumar,
>>> Do you need a script modification to address this issue?
>
> We need to reconsider the format of proposal.yml (and scripts as well).
> It seems not to be reviewed enough.
>
>>> Actually, proposals for run-time dependencies package of top-lists are still in preparation and are under investigation
>> in the security working group.
>>> The automatic outputs of the script have been used as it is for the dependencies package displayed in this proposal.
>>
>> We can only decide about package sets which have their runtime
>> dependencies already fulfilled with the existing package set (where is
>> that now, BTW?) or include these dependencies in the set.
>
> I'm assuming the "existing package set" is the list of packages that are already accepted by CIP.
> If so, there is no such list because this is the first proposal.

Then let's define that base (minimal debootstrap) first before adding
further packages.

> Also, it's difficult for me to agree with the opinion that
> "all runtime dependencies must be fullfilled with the existing package set" because
> 1) Some dependency (binary) packages are not functionally necessary
>     from the CIP's long-term support point of view (debconf, debian-archive-keyring, etc.)

Anything that a Debian package requires needs to be present - otherwise
the package becomes broken. I can't imagine we want to propose that to
our users. Weaker dependencies are obviously optional.

If we should run into a package that seems to require more than it
should, let's improve it by proposing a break-up upstream. Or by
repackaging it in meta-debian / isar-cip-core. But that should come
first before proposing it here.

> 2) The list including all dependencies may become big for CIP's "OSBL"
>     (e.g. If following this, the security package proposal pulls around 90 packages finally)

Anything in that range still seems reasonable from a maintenance
perspective - provided there are no "challenging" packages included. But
we should still check if that number is seriously needed, though.

Jan

@ 2019-12-22 23:05         ` masashi.kudo at cybertrust.co.jp
From: masashi.kudo at cybertrust.co.jp @ 2019-12-22 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Kazu-san,

Thanks for working on this.

  > Due Date: December 23rd
Originally, the due date was today.

> So, please suspend this proposal process until requirements of all members become clear.
Does this means that the above due date is extended and the new due date will be announced later?
Just to make sure.

Best regards,
--
M. Kudo

2019?12?20?(?) 18:59 <kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp<mailto:kazuhiro3.hayashi@toshiba.co.jp>>:
Hello,

> [...]

Also, it's difficult for me to agree with the opinion that
"all runtime dependencies must be fullfilled with the existing package set" because
1) Some dependency (binary) packages are not functionally necessary
   from the CIP's long-term support point of view (debconf, debian-archive-keyring, etc.)
2) The list including all dependencies may become big for CIP's "OSBL"
   (e.g. If following this, the security package proposal pulls around 90 packages finally)

> I only checked
> suricata because of the outstanding python dependency, but there might
> be more issue. This needs to be checked carefully again.

Yes, we need to share the concrete examples of packages, PDP steps, and the format of yml.
I will prepare this and will share in the next week.

So, please suspend this proposal process until requirements of all members become clear.

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [cip-dev] [cip-core] Package Proposal #1 (Security packages)
@ 2019-12-22 23:43           ` kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp
From: kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp @ 2019-12-22 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Good morning Kudo-san,

>> So, please suspend this proposal process until requirements of all members become clear.
> Does this means that the above due date is extended and the new due date will be announced later?

Yes. I will share the new due date ASAP, but it would be a day in January...

Best regards,
Kazu

@ 2019-12-23  0:06             ` masashi.kudo at cybertrust.co.jp
From: masashi.kudo at cybertrust.co.jp @ 2019-12-23  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)