cip-dev.lists.cip-project.org archive mirror
* [cip-dev] CIP embedded platform Internet connection?
@ 2020-07-27 14:25 Mohammed Billoo
From: Mohammed Billoo @ 2020-07-27 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

This question stems from the thread titled "The security of NTP". If we do
go with NTS, it looks like we're going to need an Internet connection to
the embedded platform. Is that acceptable? The work that I've seen so far
related to CIP SWUpdate has assumed that the Hawkbit server is on the local
network. It isn't obvious if that has been an intentional decision (due to
security requirements) or just to ease development.

--
Mohammed A Billoo
Founder

* Re: [cip-dev] CIP embedded platform Internet connection?
@ 2020-07-29 23:51 ` Daniel Sangorrin
From: Daniel Sangorrin @ 2020-07-29 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Mohammed,

There is nothing in CIP SWUpdate that assumes the Hawkbit server is on a local network.
Perhaps the README is using a local serve for demonstration purposes?

Thanks,
Daniel

* Re: [cip-dev] CIP embedded platform Internet connection?
@ 2020-07-30  0:32   ` Mohammed Billoo
From: Mohammed Billoo @ 2020-07-30  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Daniel,

Thanks for getting back. I realized that the configuration of the embedded
platform and Hawkbit server may be specific for the SWUpdate demo.
Suzuki-san, is that correct? If so, is it OK if these parameters are in
files or would you want them in a less permanent form (e.g. environment
variables)? The advantage of the latter would be that if I need to change
the network configuration for my own set up (since my localhost external IP
is different from what's in the BBB customization), I don't have to manage
two different network configurations. I can set the appropriate environment
variable (for example) and the build, if set up correctly, would pick up
the environment variables and configure the BBB image correctly. Is there
any strong conviction for either way?

Thanks

Mohammed A Billoo
Founder
MAB Labs, LLC
www.mab-labs.com
201-338-2022

@ 2020-07-30  8:31     ` Akihiro Suzuki
From: Akihiro Suzuki @ 2020-07-30  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mab; +Cc: cip-dev

Hi Mohammed,

> I realized that the configuration of the embedded platform and Hawkbit server may be specific for the SWUpdate demo. Suzuki-san, is that correct?
Yes. It is specific for the SWUpdate demo.

> is it OK if these parameters are in files or would you want them in a less permanent form (e.g. environment variables)?
If possible, I prefer the latter.
Current cip-sw-updates-demo repository has many inconvenient points.
If you have time, could you fix them?

Thanks,
Suzuki

[...]

www.mab-labs.com<http://www.mab-labs.com>