cip-dev.lists.cip-project.org archive mirror
* [cip-dev] Testing update + cip-core
@ 2019-03-14 16:40 Patryk Mungai Ndungu
From: Patryk Mungai Ndungu @ 2019-03-14 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Daniel,

Thanks again for adding lsusb to cip-core.

I managed to add internet support to the boards in our LAVA lab the other day. Now that this is the case, it would be really useful to have apt-get installed in cip-core, in case any dependencies are missing in the rfs.

To run any tests that require a download from the internet, you need to run the following script first (it'll be added to the main repo soon): https://gitlab.com/mungaip/cip-kernel-tests/blob/dut-internet-support/setup_internet.yaml. Let me know if any of this could/should be done in cip-core too.

Example test definition: https://lava.ciplatform.org/scheduler/job/718/definition

Kind Regards,
Patryk

* [cip-dev] Testing update + cip-core
@ 2019-03-19  3:00 ` daniel.sangorrin at toshiba.co.jp
From: daniel.sangorrin at toshiba.co.jp @ 2019-03-19  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Patryk,

Sorry for the late reply.

I will send the AWS instructions to Jan and create an account for him so that he can upload ISAR images.
We will need to port ISAR to the Renesas board though.

> To run any tests that require a download from the internet, you need to run the following script first (it'll be added
> to the main repo soon):
> https://gitlab.com/mungaip/cip-kernel-tests/blob/dut-internet-support/setup_internet.yaml. Let me know if
> any of this could/should be done in cip-core too.

https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-testing/cip-kernel-tests/blob/master/test_cases/setup_internet.yaml

I think that route and wget are included in cip-core.

It seems to work fine:
https://lava.ciplatform.org/scheduler/job/828

Thanks,
Daniel

@ 2019-03-19 10:39   ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-03-19 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On 19.03.19 04:00, daniel.sangorrin at toshiba.co.jp wrote:
> Hello Patryk,
>
> Sorry for the late reply.

About which boards are we talking? How does the boot process and imaging look
like for them? That will help assessing the effort (which can vary a lot,
specifically with modern, complex ones).

Jan

* [cip-dev] Testing update + cip-core
@ 2019-03-19 16:25     ` Patryk Mungai Ndungu
From: Patryk Mungai Ndungu @ 2019-03-19 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Jan,

I believe Daniel means the Renesas iwg20m. I'm not sure what you mean by boot process and imaging, but I believe it's straightforward.
To boot the board, you provide it the kernel image and dtb via tftp, and access to a RFS and it boots. There is no secure layer.

Thanks,
Patryk

@ 2019-03-19 18:11       ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-03-19 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On 19.03.19 17:25, Patryk Mungai Ndungu wrote:
> Hello Jan,

Isar-cip-core generally has to goal to generate fully bootable images
("turn-key" solution). That means an SD card or eMMC or raw flash image that
contains all necessary artifacts at the right location, like with the BBB
(U-Boot at the right sector, configured in distro boot mode to pull dt and
kernel from the Debian rootfs). If you have a U-Boot preinstalled on the board,
it should either support distro boot, or we need some instruction what to add to
its env in order to compensate what might be missing.

However, that does not exclude tftp+nfs boot for testing purposes. You will have
all needed binaries available along with the self-standing image.

Jan

* [cip-dev] Testing update + cip-core
@ 2019-03-20  0:39         ` daniel.sangorrin at toshiba.co.jp
From: daniel.sangorrin at toshiba.co.jp @ 2019-03-20  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

> From: Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com>
[..]

> However, that does not exclude tftp+nfs boot for testing purposes. You will have
> all needed binaries available along with the self-standing image.

Jan: is it possible to add tar.gz to IMAGE_TYPE in ISAR? that's an easy format for LAVA to deploy to nfs/nbd.

Patryk: from the documentation it seems that nbdroot supports the raw image format. Could you confirm?
https://staging.validation.linaro.org/static/docs/v2/actions-deploy.html#nbdroot
nbdroot:
      url: http://fix.me/rootfs.ext4.xz <-- this is probably just a raw image compressed

Thanks,
Daniel

* [cip-dev] Testing update + cip-core
@ 2019-03-20  6:13           ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-03-20  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On 20.03.19 01:39, daniel.sangorrin at toshiba.co.jp wrote:
>> From: Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com>
> [..]
>>
>> However, that does not exclude tftp+nfs boot for testing purposes. You will have
>> all needed binaries available along with the self-standing image.
>
> Jan: is it possible to add tar.gz to IMAGE_TYPE in ISAR? that's an easy format for LAVA to deploy to nfs/nbd.

Yes, you can set that as well (IMAGE_TYPE = "targz-img"). We are using it for
building containers.

Jan

* [cip-dev] Testing update + cip-core
@ 2019-03-20  9:17           ` Patryk Mungai Ndungu
From: Patryk Mungai Ndungu @ 2019-03-20  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Daniel,

I've not had a chance to play around with NBD yet, but this looks to be the case.
Let me know if you?d like me to look into adding NBD support for the lab in Renesas.

Thanks,
Patryk

@ 2019-03-28  7:52             ` daniel.sangorrin at toshiba.co.jp
From: daniel.sangorrin at toshiba.co.jp @ 2019-03-28  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Patryk,

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, that would be great. Some LTP tests will not work on NFS and require NBD instead (according to Jan-Simon from AGL).

Thanks,
Daniel