dri-devel.lists.freedesktop.org archive mirror
* To contribute
@ 2017-01-03  9:09 Swapnil Pathak
From: Swapnil Pathak @ 2017-01-03  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dri-devel

Hi,

I also want to contribute, But I don't know from where to start. Could
you please help me where to start.

Thanks

Swapnil

Disclaimer:- The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. The views expressed in this E-mail message (including the enclosure/(s) or attachment/(s) if any) are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of GlobalEdge. Before opening any mail and attachments please check them for viruses .GlobalEdge does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

* Re: To contribute
@ 2017-01-03  9:25 ` Peter Senna Tschudin
From: Peter Senna Tschudin @ 2017-01-03  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Swapnil Pathak; +Cc: dri-devel

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 10:09 AM, Swapnil Pathak
> Hi,
>
> I also want to contribute, But I don't know from where to start. Could you
> please help me where to start.
>

> Thanks
>
> Swapnil
>
> Disclaimer:- The information contained in this electronic message and any
> immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. The
> views expressed in this E-mail message (including the enclosure/(s) or
> attachment/(s) if any) are those of the individual sender, except where the
> sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of
> GlobalEdge. Before opening any mail and attachments please check them for
> viruses .GlobalEdge does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

Start by reading the documentation:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/process/index.rst

But for sending E-mails to us, having a disclaimer is an issue. Some
of us can't accept your contributions if your E-mail contains a
confidentiality disclaimer as everything we do is public.

Peter

* Re: To contribute
@ 2017-01-03  9:30 ` Jani Nikula
From: Jani Nikula @ 2017-01-03  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Swapnil Pathak, dri-devel

On Tue, 03 Jan 2017, Swapnil Pathak <p.swapnil@globaledgesoft.com> wrote:
> I also want to contribute, But I don't know from where to start. Could
> you please help me where to start.

That's easy. Get rid of the disclaimer at the bottom of your mails! :p

The serious answer really depends on you, and it's hard to give advice
that works for everyone. That said, learn to configure, build and run
upstream kernels from git. Find issues that bother you, look at
https://bugs.freedesktop.org for inspiration. Learn to do git bisect,
and bisect the issues if they're regressions. Debug them and fix them if
you can.

HTH,
Jani.

@ 2017-01-04  9:09   ` Daniel Vetter
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2017-01-04  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jani Nikula; +Cc: dri-devel, Swapnil Pathak

On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 11:30:30AM +0200, Jani Nikula wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Jan 2017, Swapnil Pathak <p.swapnil@globaledgesoft.com> wrote:
> > I also want to contribute, But I don't know from where to start. Could
> > you please help me where to start.
>
> That's easy. Get rid of the disclaimer at the bottom of your mails! :p
>
> The serious answer really depends on you, and it's hard to give advice
> that works for everyone. That said, learn to configure, build and run
> upstream kernels from git. Find issues that bother you, look at
> https://bugs.freedesktop.org for inspiration. Learn to do git bisect,
> and bisect the issues if they're regressions. Debug them and fix them if
> you can.

There's also a drm janitor wiki page with some ideas for what to do:

https://www.x.org/wiki/DRMJanitors/

Cheers, Daniel

> HTH,
> Jani.
>

> > Thanks
> >
> > Swapnil
> >
> > Disclaimer:- The information contained in this electronic message and
> > any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of
> > the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or
> > privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you
> > should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify
> > the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any
> > attachments. The views expressed in this E-mail message (including the
> > enclosure/(s) or attachment/(s) if any) are those of the individual
> > sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states
> > them to be the views of GlobalEdge. Before opening any mail and
> > attachments please check them for viruses .GlobalEdge does not accept
> > any liability for virus infected mails.

Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
http://blog.ffwll.ch