intel-wired-lan.lists.osuosl.org archive mirror
From: Thorsten Leemhuis <regressions@leemhuis.info>
To: Tony Nguyen <anthony.l.nguyen@intel.com>,
	"Wilczynski, Michal" <michal.wilczynski@intel.com>,
	Jaroslav Pulchart <jaroslav.pulchart@gooddata.com>,
	"Siwik, Grzegorz" <grzegorz.siwik@intel.com>,
	"Kitszel, Przemyslaw" <przemyslaw.kitszel@intel.com>
Cc: LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	intel-wired-lan@lists.osuosl.org,
	"regressions@lists.linux.dev" <regressions@lists.linux.dev>,
	Jesse Brandeburg <jesse.brandeburg@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [Intel-wired-lan] ice: Error setting promisc mode on VSI 6 (rc=-17) @ 5.18.x
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 18:07:05 +0200	[thread overview]

On 17.08.22 17:59, Tony Nguyen wrote:
> On 8/17/2022 2:08 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> On 05.07.22 15:51, Wilczynski, Michal wrote:
>>>
>>> Adding Grzegorz Siwik,  since he is working on similar issue and already
>>> has a patch that is being tested/reviewed internally at the moment.
>>>
>>> He can you a send patch tomorrow so you can test if it also fixes your
>>> problem.
>>
>> Tony, Jesse, I have to wonder: why is it taken so long to get this
>> regression fixed? The regression was reported 69 days ago and the first
>> patches to fix this went out 40 days ago. That's far from ideal.
>
> Our validation found issues when testing the original fix which caused
> the delays as the new issues were being worked out.

Yeah, that happens, still I wish it wouldn't taken *that* much longer
then what's outlined in the docs.

Side note: this and a similar issue I had today made me wonder if we
need a tag to make "this is a regression fix" more obvious to reviewers
and maintainers. But I guess that overblown; should be enough if
developers make it obvious in their cover letter or description that
this fixes a regression.

>> Reminder: this regression ideally should have been fixed within two
>> weeks after the report, as explained here:
>> https://docs.kernel.org/process/handling-regressions.html
>>
>> FWIW, in case anyone wonders: the latest patch-series to fix this can be
>> found here:
>> https://lore.kernel.org/intel-wired-lan/1660310750-290943-1-git-send-email-grzegorz.siwik@intel.com/
>
> I was going to point you to the newest patches, but you located them.
> Our validation finished testing them yesterday so the pull request for
> these will be going out to netdev today.

Great, many thx.

Ciao, Thorsten