kernel-hardening.lists.openwall.com archive mirror
* Re: Possibility of merge of disable icotl TIOCSTI patch
       [not found] <Yoy9IqTvch7lBwdT@hostpad>
@ 2022-06-01 15:41 ` Yann Droneaud
From: Yann Droneaud @ 2022-06-01 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Brand, kernelnewbies, linux-hardening, kernel-hardening

Hi,

Le 24/05/2022 à 13:10, Simon Brand a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> in the past there have been attempts to restrict the TIOCSTI ioctl. [0, 1]
> None of them are present in the current kernel.
> Since those tries there have been some security issues (sandbox
> escapes in flatpak (CVE-2019-10063) [2] and snap (CVE 2019-7303) [3],
> runuser [4], su [5]).
>
> I would provide a patch which leaves the current behavior as default,
> but TIOCSTI can be disabled via Kconfig or cmdline switch.
> Is there any chance this will get merged in 2022, since past
> attempts failed?
>
> Escapes can be reproduced easiliy (on archlinux) via a python script:
> ```
> import fcntl
> import termios
> with open("/dev/tty", "w") as fd:
>      for c in "id\n":
>          fcntl.ioctl(fd, termios.TIOCSTI, c)
> ```
> Now run as root:
> # su user
> $ python3 /path/to/script.py ; exit
> uid=0(root) ...
>
> Best,
> Simon
>

> [0] https://lkml.kernel.org/lkml/CAG48ez1NBnrsPnHN6D9nbOJP6+Q6zEV9vfx9q7ME4Eti-vRmhQ@mail.gmail.com/T/
> [1] https://lkml.kernel.org/lkml/20170420174100.GA16822@mail.hallyn.com/T/
> [2] https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/issues/2782
> [3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/KnowledgeBase/SnapIoctlTIOCSTI
> [4] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=815922
> [5] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=628843

Regards.

--

Yann Droneaud

OPTEYA

* Re: Possibility of merge of disable icotl TIOCSTI patch
@ 2022-06-01 19:03   ` Levente Polyak
From: Levente Polyak @ 2022-06-01 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann Droneaud, Simon Brand, kernelnewbies, linux-hardening,
	kernel-hardening

On 6/1/22 17:41, Yann Droneaud wrote:
>> I would provide a patch which leaves the current behavior as default,
>> but TIOCSTI can be disabled via Kconfig or cmdline switch.
>> Is there any chance this will get merged in 2022, since past
>> attempts failed?

Small side note:

A complete version of Matt's initial patch has lived on in
linux-hardened [0][1] with the `SECURITY_TIOCSTI_RESTRICT` Kconfig
(default no) and a `tiocsti_restrict` sysctl.

If a re-attempt is feasible, both patchs [0][1] could potentially be
re-proposed as is.

In linux-hardened we have an independent patch [2] which simply sets the
default value of `SECURITY_TIOCSTI_RESTRICT` to `yes`, but that most
likely is not desired.

cheers,
Levente

[0]