kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
From: valdis.kletnieks@vt.edu (valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu)
To: kernelnewbies@lists.kernelnewbies.org
Subject: deferred pages
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 10:46:37 -0500	[thread overview]

On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 10:16:41 -0500, Cindy-Sue Causey said:

> First reference is near the top under "AIX 4.3.2+ Deferred Paging
> #2) AIX 5L Differences Guide Version 5.3 Edition

I feel sorry for anybody still running either of these AIX versions (4.3.2
is late 1998, 5.3 is from 2005).

Word of warning - AIX is *highly* different from Linux - it's even diverged an
amazing amount internally from its SYSV Unix roots.  I wouldn't take any AIX
internals documentation as helpful for Linux, unless you also found the Bach
book on the SYSV kernel and Kirk McKusic's book on the BSD4.3 kernel useful in
understanding the Linux kernel....

I've done AIX for a living from (roughly) the RT days, through AIX/370 (now
*that* was a beta test that generated a wealth of bar stories :), and AIX 3
through AIX 5 on RS6K/Power based systems.. A lot of the stuff they do doesn't
make any sense at all unless you know how IBM's mainframe systems do things
(And yes, I spent a number of years doing OS/VS1/HASP and VM (SP, HPO, and XA
variants)
From: valdis.kletnieks@vt.edu
To: Cindy-Sue Causey <butterflybytes@gmail.com>
Cc: Kernel Newbies <kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org>