kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Linux FS design and implementation book
@ 2018-09-15  2:03 inventsekar
From: inventsekar @ 2018-09-15  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi All...
Around last year I was searching for Linux Kernel FS design and
implementation, and I found out a book by someone,.. a full length book,
particularly, at the end of the book he/she included source code as well...

unfortunately I forgotten the author of the book and the exact book name..
may i know if anybody remembers that book, please reply book name or the
author name thank you.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Linux FS design and implementation book
@ 2018-09-16  2:19 ` valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
From: valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2018-09-16  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 07:33:51 +0530, inventsekar said:
> Around last year I was searching for Linux Kernel FS design and
> implementation, and I found out a book by someone,.. a full length book,
> particularly, at the end of the book he/she included source code as well...

That sounds like the Lions book.

John Lions - A Commentary on the Sixth Edition UNIX Operating System

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lions%27_Commentary_on_UNIX_6th_Edition,_with_Source_Code

Googling for 'lions unix book pdf' will find many sources.  There's
dead-tree versions available as well at high cost...
* Linux FS design and implementation book
@ 2018-09-18 22:08 ` Tobin C. Harding
From: Tobin C. Harding @ 2018-09-18 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 07:33:51AM +0530, inventsekar wrote:
> Hi All...
> Around last year I was searching for Linux Kernel FS design and
> implementation, and I found out a book by someone,.. a full length book,
> particularly, at the end of the book he/she included source code as well...

Might have been 'UNIX Filesystems' - by Steve D. Pate.  It has a 1300
LOC filesystem implementation in the back.

	Tobin

* Linux FS design and implementation book
@ 2018-09-19 17:15   ` inventsekar
From: inventsekar @ 2018-09-19 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed 19 Sep, 2018, 3:38 AM Tobin C. Harding, <me@tobin.cc> wrote:

> Might have been 'UNIX Filesystems' - by Steve D. Pate.  It has a 1300
> LOC filesystem implementation in the back.
>
> Hi Tobin,

        Exactly.. thanks a ton.

@ 2018-09-29 19:03   ` Valentin Vidic
From: Valentin Vidic @ 2018-09-29 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 08:08:47AM +1000, Tobin C. Harding wrote:
> Might have been 'UNIX Filesystems' - by Steve D. Pate.  It has a 1300
> LOC filesystem implementation in the back.

Did you (or someone else) manage to build it with recent kernels?

--
Valentin