kvm.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* netperf in autotest
@ 2009-07-06 11:14 sudhir kumar
From: sudhir kumar @ 2009-07-06 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In order to include netperf tests under kvm guests run I have been
trying to run netperf testsuit in autotest but I am getting barrier
failures. I want to understand the philosophy of implementation of the
autotest wrappers, so thought of quickly asking it on the list.
Here are my questions:

1. There are 3 control files control.server, control.client and
control.parallel. What is the scenario for which file ? Will
../../autotest/bin control.client with proper configuration on machine
(say, 9.126.89.168) be able to  run netperf completely automatically
or do I need to run the netserver on the other machine(say,
9.124.124.82)?
# cat control.client | grep ip
             server_ip='9.124.124.82',
             client_ip='9.126.89.168',

2. What is the purpose of control.parallel ?

3. What is the use of barriers in netperf2.py? Is it mandatory ? I
tried to understand it by going through the code but still I want to
double check.

The execution of this test using autotest is so far failing for me.
(though a minimal manual execution from command lines passes for me).
It mainly fails on barrier due to timeouts "timeout waiting for
barrier: start_1". I tried by running
../../bin/autotest client.control on machineA with server_ip set to
remote machine(B) and client ip set to this machine's ip(A).
../../bin/autotest server.control on one machineB with server_ip set
to machineB and client ip set to the remote machine's ip(A).

I want to ensure that I am not doing anything wrong.
Thanks in advance!!

--
Sudhir Kumar

* Re: netperf in autotest
@ 2009-07-06 18:15 ` Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues
From: Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues @ 2009-07-06 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sudhir kumar

On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 16:44 +0530, sudhir kumar wrote:
> Hi,
> In order to include netperf tests under kvm guests run I have been
> trying to run netperf testsuit in autotest but I am getting barrier
> failures. I want to understand the philosophy of implementation of the
> autotest wrappers, so thought of quickly asking it on the list.
> Here are my questions:

Ok, I see the confusion. Netperf2 has 'roles', a 'server' role and a
'client' role. Those should not be confused with autotest server and
autotest client.

> 1. There are 3 control files control.server, control.client and
> control.parallel. What is the scenario for which file ?

control.server - autotest client control file for netperf server role
control.client - autotest client control file for netperf client role
control.parallel - autotest server control file for running both at once

> Will
> ../../autotest/bin control.client with proper configuration on machine
> (say, 9.126.89.168) be able to  run netperf completely automatically
> or

No, it will not.

>  do I need to run the netserver on the other machine(say,
> 9.124.124.82)?

Yes, precisely.

> # cat control.client | grep ip
>              server_ip='9.124.124.82',
>              client_ip='9.126.89.168',
>
> 2. What is the purpose of control.parallel ?

control.parallel is a server control file, that has API to consider
hosts as high level objects where we can instantiate autotest and run
client side control files.

> 3. What is the use of barriers in netperf2.py? Is it mandatory ? I
> tried to understand it by going through the code but still I want to
> double check.

Barriers are mandatory. They are our mechanism of coordinating
multi-machine tests. With barriers, we can sync the actions of multiple
machines. It works (roughly) like this:

 * First machine to join a barrier 'coordinates it'. It will open a
socket for communication and wait until the following members join.
 * Second machine checks on the barrier. If all conditions and all
members are met, test proceeds.

We can't start the netperf client before having a server up, right?
That's why we have a barrier here. If for some reason we have a client
ready to fire the client before we have a machine with a server up, we
tell it to wait on the barrier until the machine with the server
instance be ready. Once the machine with the server is ready, it checks
on the barrier, the interested parties acknowledge the presence of each
other and the test proceeds.

> The execution of this test using autotest is so far failing for me.
> (though a minimal manual execution from command lines passes for me).
> It mainly fails on barrier due to timeouts "timeout waiting for
> barrier: start_1". I tried by running
> ../../bin/autotest client.control on machineA with server_ip set to
> remote machine(B) and client ip set to this machine's ip(A).
> ../../bin/autotest server.control on one machineB with server_ip set
> to machineB and client ip set to the remote machine's ip(A).

That should work. Problem with firewall rules perhaps?

> I want to ensure that I am not doing anything wrong.
> Thanks in advance!!

It's a pleasure to help!

Lucas

* Re: netperf in autotest
@ 2009-07-06 18:16 ` Martin Bligh
From: Martin Bligh @ 2009-07-06 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 4:14 AM, sudhir kumar<smalikphy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> In order to include netperf tests under kvm guests run I have been
> trying to run netperf testsuit in autotest but I am getting barrier
> failures. I want to understand the philosophy of implementation of the
> autotest wrappers, so thought of quickly asking it on the list.
> Here are my questions:
>
> 1. There are 3 control files control.server, control.client and
> control.parallel. What is the scenario for which file ? Will
> ../../autotest/bin control.client with proper configuration on machine
> (say, 9.126.89.168) be able to  run netperf completely automatically
> or do I need to run the netserver on the other machine(say,
> 9.124.124.82)?
> # cat control.client | grep ip
>             server_ip='9.124.124.82',
>             client_ip='9.126.89.168',
>
> 2. What is the purpose of control.parallel ?

Testing on a single machine

Normally you're going to run server/tests/netperf2, which will invoke
the separate sections of the client tests on a pair of machines for you

> 3. What is the use of barriers in netperf2.py? Is it mandatory ? I
> tried to understand it by going through the code but still I want to
> double check.

To ensure that the server is started and ready before the client
starts throwing queries at it, and stays up and running until
the client has finished. It is then torn down.

> The execution of this test using autotest is so far failing for me.
> (though a minimal manual execution from command lines passes for me).
> It mainly fails on barrier due to timeouts "timeout waiting for
> barrier: start_1". I tried by running
> ../../bin/autotest client.control on machineA with server_ip set to
> remote machine(B) and client ip set to this machine's ip(A).
> ../../bin/autotest server.control on one machineB with server_ip set
> to machineB and client ip set to the remote machine's ip(A).
>
> I want to ensure that I am not doing anything wrong.
> Thanks in advance!!

Take a look at how the server side test does it?