linux-amlogic.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* PMU support for Amlogic S905D3 in Linux kernel 5.6
@ 2020-06-02 14:15 Jie Zhang
From: Jie Zhang @ 2020-06-02 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-amlogic

Hi,

I'm using Khadas VIM3L, which has an Amlogic S905D3, with Linux kernel
4.9. This Linux kernel has support for PMU for S905D3. But for a test
case I'm using I saw strange L1D cache misses behavior. I want to redo
the testing on a more recent kernel version, like 5.6. But it seems
Linux 5.6 does not have the support for PMU in that processor. Is
anyone working on this? From Amlogic specific changes to 4.9 kernel,
it seems we need special handling for this processor. Is there a
document describing how PMU works in this processor?

Thanks,
Jie

* Re: PMU support for Amlogic S905D3 in Linux kernel 5.6
@ 2020-06-02 14:28 ` Neil Armstrong
From: Neil Armstrong @ 2020-06-02 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jie Zhang, linux-amlogic; +Cc: Marc Zyngier

Hi,

On 02/06/2020 16:15, Jie Zhang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Khadas VIM3L, which has an Amlogic S905D3, with Linux kernel
> 4.9. This Linux kernel has support for PMU for S905D3. But for a test
> case I'm using I saw strange L1D cache misses behavior. I want to redo
> the testing on a more recent kernel version, like 5.6. But it seems
> Linux 5.6 does not have the support for PMU in that processor. Is
> anyone working on this? From Amlogic specific changes to 4.9 kernel,
> it seems we need special handling for this processor. Is there a
> document describing how PMU works in this processor?

AFAIK there is no document describing PMU... but seems Marc Zyngier
was looking over it, I added him as CC.

Neil