linux-arm-kernel.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* n900 audio: any ideas how to get headset speaker to work?
@ 2015-02-15 10:21 Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-02-15 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi!

By default, output goes to loudspeaker (top right relative to
keyboard). Any ideas how to switch it to the speaker on the left or
wired headset? Because I suspect that echo cancelation is not going to
be simple...
									Pavel

* n900 audio: any ideas how to get headset speaker to work?
@ 2015-02-15 11:08 ` Pali Rohár
From: Pali Rohár @ 2015-02-15 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Sunday 15 February 2015 11:21:52 Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> By default, output goes to loudspeaker (top right relative to
> keyboard). Any ideas how to switch it to the speaker on the
> left or wired headset? Because I suspect that echo
> cancelation is not going to be simple...
> 									Pavel

I do not know but maybe this file could help:

https://gitorious.org/community-ssu/policy-settings-rx51/source/dcb6429c12006dc9850cc942b7143358fe3fd330:rx51/etc/alsaped.conf

There are definitions of alsa channels and settings for different profiles.

--
Pali Roh?r
pali.rohar at gmail.com
* n900 audio: any ideas how to get headset speaker to work?
@ 2015-02-15 14:45 ` Patrik Bachan aka DiGGiT
From: Patrik Bachan aka DiGGiT @ 2015-02-15 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

> Hi!
>
> By default, output goes to loudspeaker (top right relative to
> keyboard). Any ideas how to switch it to the speaker on the left or
> wired headset? Because I suspect that echo cancelation is not going to
> be simple...
>                                                                         Pavel
> --
> (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek
> (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html

Hi,
in case of direct alsa output (not PA), setup is pretty complex.
Headphones referenced as line. All audio outputs are differential.
Here are controls that affects volumes...

global:
 PCM (volume)
 left/right DAC mux (below)
      -- DAC_L1/R1 passes sound to loudspeakers, line, (maybe others)
      -- DAC_L2/R2 passes sound to loudspeakers, NOT line, (maybe others)
      -- DAC_L3/R3 passes sound to NOT loudspeakers, line, (maybe others)
      if DAC_L1/R1 is chosen, you can hear lower volume on both
outputs in compare to dedicated outputs (DAC_L2/R2, DAC_L3/R3),
probabbly due to higher load of ADC

loudspeakers:
 Speaker function (on)
 HP (unmute)
 HP DAC (volume)
 left HP Mixer DACL1 (below)
 right HP Mixer DACR1 (below)
   --unmute theese two,  this will pass left channel sound to left
channel output and vice versa
 left HP Mixer DACR1 (below)
 right HP Mixer DACL1 (below)
  --mute these two, this controls channel crosstalk ( amount of left
channel sound going to right channel output and vice versa)

line:
 line (unmute)
 line DAC (volume)
 jack function (headphone)
 TPA6130A2 Headphone (volume)
 left Line Mixer DACL1 (below)
 right Line Mixer DACR1 (below)
   --unmute theese two,  this will pass left channel sound to left
channel output and vice versa
 left Line Mixer DACR1 (below)
 right Line Mixer DACL1 (below)

@ 2015-02-15 16:20   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-02-15 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Sun 2015-02-15 12:08:02, Pali Roh?r wrote:
> On Sunday 15 February 2015 11:21:52 Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > By default, output goes to loudspeaker (top right relative to
> > keyboard). Any ideas how to switch it to the speaker on the
> > left or wired headset? Because I suspect that echo
> > cancelation is not going to be simple...
> > 									Pavel
>
> I do not know but maybe this file could help:
>
> https://gitorious.org/community-ssu/policy-settings-rx51/source/dcb6429c12006dc9850cc942b7143358fe3fd330:rx51/etc/alsaped.conf
>
> There are definitions of alsa channels and settings for different profiles.

Thanks... it seems to be what I needed. More code to write...
									Pavel

* n900 audio: any ideas how to get headset speaker to work?
@ 2015-02-15 16:27     ` Pali Rohár
From: Pali Rohár @ 2015-02-15 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Sunday 15 February 2015 17:20:29 Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Sun 2015-02-15 12:08:02, Pali Roh?r wrote:
> > On Sunday 15 February 2015 11:21:52 Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > By default, output goes to loudspeaker (top right relative
> > > to keyboard). Any ideas how to switch it to the speaker
> > > on the left or wired headset? Because I suspect that echo
> > > cancelation is not going to be simple...
> > >
> > > 									Pavel
> >
> > I do not know but maybe this file could help:
> >
> > https://gitorious.org/community-ssu/policy-settings-rx51/sou
> > rce/dcb6429c12006dc9850cc942b7143358fe3fd330:rx51/etc/alsape
> > d.conf
> >
> > There are definitions of alsa channels and settings for
> > different profiles.
>
> Thanks... it seems to be what I needed. More code to write...
> 									Pavel

Will you create asoundrc file with both speakers for n900?

I would like to see n900 sound setup without pulseaudio...

--
Pali Roh?r
pali.rohar at gmail.com
* n900 audio: any ideas how to get headset speaker to work?
@ 2015-02-15 22:34       ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-02-15 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Sun 2015-02-15 17:27:03, Pali Roh?r wrote:
> On Sunday 15 February 2015 17:20:29 Pavel Machek wrote:

> > > I do not know but maybe this file could help:
> > >
> > > https://gitorious.org/community-ssu/policy-settings-rx51/sou
> > > rce/dcb6429c12006dc9850cc942b7143358fe3fd330:rx51/etc/alsape
> > > d.conf
> > >
> > > There are definitions of alsa channels and settings for
> > > different profiles.
> >
> > Thanks... it seems to be what I needed. More code to write...
>
> Will you create asoundrc file with both speakers for n900?
>
> I would like to see n900 sound setup without pulseaudio...

I actually have pulseaudio running (and plan to keep it since Debian
has it by default).

It seems mixer names changed a lot between Maemo kernel and 3.19. I have
parser for alsaped.conf, but was not able to identify matching mixers.

									Pavel

* n900 audio: any ideas how to get headset speaker to work?
@ 2015-02-16  9:57   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-02-16  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Ahoj!

> > By default, output goes to loudspeaker (top right relative to
> > keyboard). Any ideas how to switch it to the speaker on the left or
> > wired headset? Because I suspect that echo cancelation is not going to
> > be simple...
> >                                                                         Pavel
> > --
> > (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek
> > (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html
>
> Hi,
> in case of direct alsa output (not PA), setup is pretty complex.
> Headphones referenced as line. All audio outputs are differential.
> Here are controls that affects volumes...

Aha, thanks for nice explanation. Now it starts to make sense... I got
headset connected to 3.5" jack to work.

Now, I guess I'd like the internal speaker on the left to work,
too... Aha, so n900 has two stereo "loud" speakers on the keyboard
part, plus extra speaker on the left display part for communication?

I got the two stereo ones to work now.

Any idea what is the last speaker on display is called? HPCOM? Mono?

> global:
>  PCM (volume)
>  left/right DAC mux (below)
>       -- DAC_L1/R1 passes sound to loudspeakers, line, (maybe others)
>       -- DAC_L2/R2 passes sound to loudspeakers, NOT line, (maybe others)
>       -- DAC_L3/R3 passes sound to NOT loudspeakers, line, (maybe others)
>       if DAC_L1/R1 is chosen, you can hear lower volume on both
> outputs in compare to dedicated outputs (DAC_L2/R2, DAC_L3/R3),
> probabbly due to higher load of ADC
>

> loudspeakers:
>  Speaker function (on)
>  HP (unmute)
>  HP DAC (volume)
>  left HP Mixer DACL1 (below)
>  right HP Mixer DACR1 (below)
>    --unmute theese two,  this will pass left channel sound to left
> channel output and vice versa
>  left HP Mixer DACR1 (below)
>  right HP Mixer DACL1 (below)
>   --mute these two, this controls channel crosstalk ( amount of left
> channel sound going to right channel output and vice versa)
>
> line:
>  line (unmute)
>  line DAC (volume)
>  jack function (headphone)
>  TPA6130A2 Headphone (volume)
>  left Line Mixer DACL1 (below)
>  right Line Mixer DACR1 (below)
>    --unmute theese two,  this will pass left channel sound to left
> channel output and vice versa
>  left Line Mixer DACR1 (below)
>  right Line Mixer DACL1 (below)
>   --mute these two, this controls channel crosstalk ( amount of left
> channel sound going to right channel output and vice versa)

Thanks a lot!
									Pavel

* n900 audio: any ideas how to get headset speaker to work?
@ 2015-02-16 22:38     ` Patrik Bachan aka DiGGiT
From: Patrik Bachan aka DiGGiT @ 2015-02-16 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

> Ahoj!
>
>> > By default, output goes to loudspeaker (top right relative to
>> > keyboard). Any ideas how to switch it to the speaker on the left or
>> > wired headset? Because I suspect that echo cancelation is not going to
>> > be simple...
>> >                                                                         Pavel
>> > --
>> > (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek
>> > (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html
>>
>> Hi,
>> in case of direct alsa output (not PA), setup is pretty complex.
>> Headphones referenced as line. All audio outputs are differential.
>> Here are controls that affects volumes...
>
> Aha, thanks for nice explanation. Now it starts to make sense... I got
> headset connected to 3.5" jack to work.
>
> Now, I guess I'd like the internal speaker on the left to work,
> too... Aha, so n900 has two stereo "loud" speakers on the keyboard
> part, plus extra speaker on the left display part for communication?

Yes, exactly.

> I got the two stereo ones to work now.
>
> Any idea what is the last speaker on display is called? HPCOM? Mono?

In schematics, earphone is connected to Left HP, channel B
(loudspeakers are channel A). But even after enabling all its
controls, earphone stays muted. My N900 may have broken flex causing
my touchscreen problems too. Better try it yourself.