linux-bcache.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* "Benchmarks"
@ 2011-10-22  0:29 Brad Campbell
       [not found] ` <4EA20E4E.8050402-+nnirC7rrGZibQn6LdNjmg@public.gmane.org>
From: Brad Campbell @ 2011-10-22  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

I use the term loosely.

This is with the raw drive being a Maxtor MaxlineII 250GB 7200RPM SATA
unit. It's about a 2004 vintage with over 30,000 hours on it. Slow and
steady.

The Cache device is an OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB Unit. Not all that fast or
clever. The Cache has writeback enabled and is formatted with -w512 so
that direct IO worked as previously discussed.

The benchmark is conducted inside an XP VM running under KVM. The device
is a qcow2 backing file formatted NTFS. I ran the test multiple times
without the cache until the numbers stabilised (the backing file was
being expanded as required)

http://www.fnarfbargle.com/private/111022_bcache/Without_Cache.png
http://www.fnarfbargle.com/private/111022_bcache/With_Cache.png

As expected a significant improvement in random small I/O. The VM is far
more responsive with the cache.

* Re: "Benchmarks"
       [not found] ` <4EA20E4E.8050402-+nnirC7rrGZibQn6LdNjmg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-10-24 17:10   ` Kent Overstreet
       [not found]     ` <CAC7rs0s3qCDYGnkbMv3NmxFR740mo48vV0mZa54TKbomFB7kjg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Kent Overstreet @ 2011-10-24 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Campbell; +Cc: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Cool!

The thing I'd be really curious about is what the benchmarks would
look like if you were using only the SSD, no bcache.

How happy are you with it?

@ 2011-10-27  3:54       ` Brad Campbell
From: Brad Campbell @ 2011-10-27  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kent Overstreet; +Cc: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On 25/10/11 01:10, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> Cool!
>
> The thing I'd be really curious about is what the benchmarks would
> look like if you were using only the SSD, no bcache.

I'll see what I can do when I next fire up the staging server.

> How happy are you with it?

Well, it does what it says on the tin for quick and dirty benchmarks,
but I really can't even contemplate it on a production machine until it
is compatible with md, and preferably has dirty write mirroring.

Now I have a permanent staging server, I'll keep playing with it as the
code evolves though.