linux-bcache.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* New stuff up in git
@ 2011-09-08  8:49 Kent Overstreet
       [not found] ` <CAC7rs0tjhf73fRGE6rvVGjiCGc1coCAZTQNFqoC0iAn+YmGZng-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Kent Overstreet @ 2011-09-08  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Damien Churchill,
	Mark Hills, xiaoqiangnk-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w, Justin Rush

I just finished updating both the bcache (off 2.6.34) and the
bcache-3.1 branches with the latest stable code.

Also got cgit set up and working, finally. Need to stick a link in the
wiki to it..

http://evilpiepirate.org/git

I still haven't figured out how to pack a git repository so cloning it
doesn't take > 80% of my linode's ram, but cloning works for me so I'm
done screwing with it for now.

The bcache branch compiles but hasn't been tested. I don't expect any
issues though, it's pretty close to what I normally develop/test on.

The bcache-3.1 branch still doesn't quite compile, but it's pretty
close - I'm try and get a working version pushed tomorrow, I did boot
a linux 3.1 + bcache kernel at one point...

* Re: New stuff up in git
       [not found] ` <CAC7rs0tjhf73fRGE6rvVGjiCGc1coCAZTQNFqoC0iAn+YmGZng-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-09-08  8:56   ` Damien Churchill
       [not found]     ` <CAFtEh-czTh2eJXGuAH2iO=PrcAwYxayVMMYQyXUj7n6qvGtGeQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Damien Churchill @ 2011-09-08  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kent Overstreet
  Cc: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Mark Hills,

On 8 September 2011 09:49, Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I just finished updating both the bcache (off 2.6.34) and the
> bcache-3.1 branches with the latest stable code.
>
> Also got cgit set up and working, finally. Need to stick a link in the
> wiki to it..
>
> http://evilpiepirate.org/git
>
> I still haven't figured out how to pack a git repository so cloning it
> doesn't take > 80% of my linode's ram, but cloning works for me so I'm
> done screwing with it for now.

I was able to make a clone by cloning Linus' repository on github,
then adding your repository as a remote then fetching, in case that
helps anyone.

> The bcache branch compiles but hasn't been tested. I don't expect any
> issues though, it's pretty close to what I normally develop/test on.
>
> The bcache-3.1 branch still doesn't quite compile, but it's pretty
> close - I'm try and get a working version pushed tomorrow, I did boot
> a linux 3.1 + bcache kernel at one point...

I made a patch using the bcache-3.1 branch that does apply to the 3.0
tree as well FYI. Haven't attempted to compile it yet but will do in a
bit, see what happens. Do you need to set CONFIG_BCACHE=y in the
kernel config?

* Re: New stuff up in git
       [not found]     ` <CAFtEh-czTh2eJXGuAH2iO=PrcAwYxayVMMYQyXUj7n6qvGtGeQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-09-08  9:10       ` Kent Overstreet
From: Kent Overstreet @ 2011-09-08  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Churchill
  Cc: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Mark Hills,

On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 09:56:12AM +0100, Damien Churchill wrote:
> On 8 September 2011 09:49, Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > I just finished updating both the bcache (off 2.6.34) and the
> > bcache-3.1 branches with the latest stable code.
> >
> > Also got cgit set up and working, finally. Need to stick a link in the
> > wiki to it..
> >
> > http://evilpiepirate.org/git
> >
> > I still haven't figured out how to pack a git repository so cloning it
> > doesn't take > 80% of my linode's ram, but cloning works for me so I'm
> > done screwing with it for now.
> >

> I was able to make a clone by cloning Linus' repository on github,
> then adding your repository as a remote then fetching, in case that
> helps anyone.

Yeah, that's one way around that issue. I really should just flip on
cloning over http... git's memory consumption is kind of infuriating.

> > The bcache branch compiles but hasn't been tested. I don't expect any
> > issues though, it's pretty close to what I normally develop/test on.
> >
> > The bcache-3.1 branch still doesn't quite compile, but it's pretty
> > close - I'm try and get a working version pushed tomorrow, I did boot
> > a linux 3.1 + bcache kernel at one point...
> >

> I made a patch using the bcache-3.1 branch that does apply to the 3.0
> tree as well FYI. Haven't attempted to compile it yet but will do in a
> bit, see what happens. Do you need to set CONFIG_BCACHE=y in the
> kernel config?

I think the block layer's been fairly quiet since ~2.6.39 or .38, the
patches in the bcache-3.1 tree should move back that far without any
issues. But it won't compile on any of them just yet.. I think the stuff
that's left is trivial but it's late and I have to be up too early.

And yeah, you'll need CONFIG_BCACHE.

* Re: New stuff up in git
@ 2011-09-08  9:16         ` Damien Churchill
       [not found]           ` <CAFtEh-dAbCo1Ov3QZkSu8XPnmGtHNsZ3pZy3E6eA5ZTmPJ0tyQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Damien Churchill @ 2011-09-08  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kent Overstreet
  Cc: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Mark Hills,

On 8 September 2011 10:10, Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 09:56:12AM +0100, Damien Churchill wrote:
>> On 8 September 2011 09:49, Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> > I just finished updating both the bcache (off 2.6.34) and the
>> > bcache-3.1 branches with the latest stable code.
>> >
>> > Also got cgit set up and working, finally. Need to stick a link in the
>> > wiki to it..
>> >
>> > http://evilpiepirate.org/git
>> >
>> > I still haven't figured out how to pack a git repository so cloning it
>> > doesn't take > 80% of my linode's ram, but cloning works for me so I'm
>> > done screwing with it for now.
>> >

>> I was able to make a clone by cloning Linus' repository on github,
>> then adding your repository as a remote then fetching, in case that
>> helps anyone.
>
> Yeah, that's one way around that issue. I really should just flip on
> cloning over http... git's memory consumption is kind of infuriating.

I have to say I haven't really encountered memory issues with it when
hosting, but then I haven't tried hosting anything as large as the
kernel.

>> > The bcache branch compiles but hasn't been tested. I don't expect any
>> > issues though, it's pretty close to what I normally develop/test on.
>> >
>> > The bcache-3.1 branch still doesn't quite compile, but it's pretty
>> > close - I'm try and get a working version pushed tomorrow, I did boot
>> > a linux 3.1 + bcache kernel at one point...
>> >

>> I made a patch using the bcache-3.1 branch that does apply to the 3.0
>> tree as well FYI. Haven't attempted to compile it yet but will do in a
>> bit, see what happens. Do you need to set CONFIG_BCACHE=y in the
>> kernel config?
>
> I think the block layer's been fairly quiet since ~2.6.39 or .38, the
> patches in the bcache-3.1 tree should move back that far without any
> issues. But it won't compile on any of them just yet.. I think the stuff
> that's left is trivial but it's late and I have to be up too early.
>
> And yeah, you'll need CONFIG_BCACHE.

Well I shall look forward to what patches tomorrow brings in that
case. Thanks a lot!

* Re: New stuff up in git
       [not found]           ` <CAFtEh-dAbCo1Ov3QZkSu8XPnmGtHNsZ3pZy3E6eA5ZTmPJ0tyQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-09-08 14:41             ` Bostjan Skufca
From: Bostjan Skufca @ 2011-09-08 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi Kent,

it would be really helpful if kernel patches (I mean diffs) would be provided.
If it wasn't necessary to clone the whole repo to get to the bcache,
instead only download kernel source and apply a patch, then probably
some more people would be encouraged to try bcache and report possible
bugs and/or test performance.
I know I would do it.

With some automatic/scripted patch generation and publishing it would
really require minimal work from your part and probably provide much
more feedback.

Tools repo is not problematic in this respect. It is small.

Just a thought and a recommendation:)

b.

On 8 September 2011 11:16, Damien Churchill <damoxc-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 8 September 2011 10:10, Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>>> I was able to make a clone by cloning Linus' repository on github,
>>> then adding your repository as a remote then fetching, in case that
>>> helps anyone.
>>
>> Yeah, that's one way around that issue. I really should just flip on
>> cloning over http... git's memory consumption is kind of infuriating.
>>

> I have to say I haven't really encountered memory issues with it when
> hosting, but then I haven't tried hosting anything as large as the
> kernel.

>>> I made a patch using the bcache-3.1 branch that does apply to the 3.0
>>> tree as well FYI. Haven't attempted to compile it yet but will do in a
>>> bit, see what happens. Do you need to set CONFIG_BCACHE=y in the
>>> kernel config?
>>
>> I think the block layer's been fairly quiet since ~2.6.39 or .38, the
>> patches in the bcache-3.1 tree should move back that far without any
>> issues. But it won't compile on any of them just yet.. I think the stuff
>> that's left is trivial but it's late and I have to be up too early.
>>
>> And yeah, you'll need CONFIG_BCACHE.
>>

> Well I shall look forward to what patches tomorrow brings in that
> case. Thanks a lot!

* Re: New stuff up in git
       [not found] ` <CAC7rs0tjhf73fRGE6rvVGjiCGc1coCAZTQNFqoC0iAn+YmGZng-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-09-09 21:46   ` Greg Bowyer
From: Greg Bowyer @ 2011-09-09 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Sorry if this is a dumb question, is bcache-3.1 an update to bcache for
kernels 3.1+

I ask because I dumbly merged bcache onto the v3.0 tag today since I
want to have a play with bcache

@ 2011-09-09 22:27     ` Kent Overstreet
       [not found]       ` <CAC7rs0uriXHsxKP0Z9JhZhSz5mgFG_o9hLKYnhRauFHr=2mfPg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Kent Overstreet @ 2011-09-09 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Bowyer; +Cc: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Greg Bowyer <gbowyer-97jfqw80gc69FHfhHBbuYA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Sorry if this is a dumb question, is bcache-3.1 an update to bcache for
> kernels 3.1+

It's the current bcache code rebased onto 3.1, yeah.

> I ask because I dumbly merged bcache onto the v3.0 tag today since I want to
> have a play with bcache

Heh. Did you get it to compile/boot? the bcache-3.1 branch isn't
_quite_ that far.

       [not found]           ` <4E6B0537.4060409-97jfqw80gc69FHfhHBbuYA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-09-09 23:12             ` Kent Overstreet
       [not found]               ` <CAC7rs0t57Kx1f3CsQCb3CCf7r7tB6TwmwOLYVw0RJjujXAcwTw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Kent Overstreet @ 2011-09-09 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Bowyer; +Cc: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Nice. If you want to push/email your changes I'll merge them into the
bcache-3.1 branch.

Now if only I had some up to date documentation... :)

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 11:35 PM, Greg Bowyer <gbowyer-97jfqw80gc69FHfhHBbuYA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 09/09/11 15:27, Kent Overstreet wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Greg Bowyer<gbowyer-97jfqw80gc69FHfhHBbuYA@public.gmane.org>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry if this is a dumb question, is bcache-3.1 an update to bcache for
>>> kernels 3.1+
>>
>> It's the current bcache code rebased onto 3.1, yeah.
>>
>>> I ask because I dumbly merged bcache onto the v3.0 tag today since I want
>>> have a play with bcache
>>
>> Heh. Did you get it to compile/boot? the bcache-3.1 branch isn't
>> _quite_ that far.
>
> I did get to compile and boot, although I took the bcache branch and not
> bcache-3.1 (when I say compile it wont compile if I have debugging turned
> on, but I am ignoring that :S)

>>> --
>>> in
>>> the body of a message to majordomo-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA@public.gmane.org
>>> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

* Re: New stuff up in git
       [not found]       ` <CAC7rs0uriXHsxKP0Z9JhZhSz5mgFG_o9hLKYnhRauFHr=2mfPg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-09-10  6:35         ` Greg Bowyer
       [not found]           ` <4E6B0537.4060409-97jfqw80gc69FHfhHBbuYA@public.gmane.org>
From: Greg Bowyer @ 2011-09-10  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kent Overstreet; +Cc: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On 09/09/11 15:27, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Greg Bowyer<gbowyer-97jfqw80gc69FHfhHBbuYA@public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>> Sorry if this is a dumb question, is bcache-3.1 an update to bcache for
>> kernels 3.1+
> It's the current bcache code rebased onto 3.1, yeah.
>
>> I ask because I dumbly merged bcache onto the v3.0 tag today since I want to
>> have a play with bcache
> Heh. Did you get it to compile/boot? the bcache-3.1 branch isn't
> _quite_ that far.
I did get to compile and boot, although I took the bcache branch and not
bcache-3.1 (when I say compile it wont compile if I have debugging
turned on, but I am ignoring that :S)
>> On 08/09/11 01:49, Kent Overstreet wrote:
>>> I just finished updating both the bcache (off 2.6.34) and the
>>> bcache-3.1 branches with the latest stable code.
>>>
>>> Also got cgit set up and working, finally. Need to stick a link in the
>>> wiki to it..
>>>
>>> http://evilpiepirate.org/git
>>>
>>> I still haven't figured out how to pack a git repository so cloning it
>>> doesn't take>    80% of my linode's ram, but cloning works for me so I'm
>>> done screwing with it for now.
>>>
>>> The bcache branch compiles but hasn't been tested. I don't expect any
>>> issues though, it's pretty close to what I normally develop/test on.
>>>
>>> The bcache-3.1 branch still doesn't quite compile, but it's pretty
>>> close - I'm try and get a working version pushed tomorrow, I did boot
>>> a linux 3.1 + bcache kernel at one point...
>>
>> --

* Re: New stuff up in git
       [not found]                   ` <4E6EB6F7.9030806-97jfqw80gc69FHfhHBbuYA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-09-13  0:02                     ` Kent Overstreet
From: Kent Overstreet @ 2011-09-13  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Bowyer; +Cc: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 6:50 PM, Greg Bowyer <gbowyer-97jfqw80gc69FHfhHBbuYA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Sorry for the delay I was away over the weekend, my changes (minimal as they
> are) are on github
>
> https://github.com/GregBowyer/linux-bcache
>
> I didn't spend much time working out compile errors if I put on debugging,
> they should be pretty easy to fix, I just wanted to play
> I also didn't realize that I needed to format the backing device separate to
> the cache device, I have not had a chance to fully test everything, I will
> try it out over the next few days.
>
> Do you want me to give this a more serious look over ?

Nah, don't worry about spending any extra time on it. I've got a bunch
of minor stuff to fix and fixes to merge in right now, hopefully
should have some of that done tonight.

@ 2011-09-13  1:50                 ` Greg Bowyer
       [not found]                   ` <4E6EB6F7.9030806-97jfqw80gc69FHfhHBbuYA@public.gmane.org>
From: Greg Bowyer @ 2011-09-13  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)