linux-bcache.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Can't resgister cache
@ 2012-02-15  5:26 Franco
From: Franco @ 2012-02-15  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi

I was in the process of testing linux-bcache but was seeing some strange
behaviour so I thought I would remount my cached filesystem. I then
noticed that the performance results started looking like the cache just
wasn't there, so I unregistered it:

bcache: Cache set be008612-38aa-4082-9f42-1bada25cb002 unregistered
bcache: Caching disabled for sdc

but now when I try to register it again, I get bcache: error
opening /dev/sdb: device busy.

I haven't tried rebooting yet but probably will do after I've sent this
message.

These were the strange results I was getting that prompted me to unmount
and remount the filesystems.

Setup: hardware RAID 5 16 disk array with 2 partitions, 1 Intel 40GB SSD
for bcache.

/dev/bcache0          1.9T   26G  1.8T   2% /data33
/dev/sdd              1.9T   23G  1.8T   2% /data34

Wrote an 8GB file to each filesystem, then tried reading it back.
Machine has 8GB RAM.

Speed for random reads from identical SSD = 181.766523 MB/Sec, random
read test done in the following order with measured speed in MB/Sec. The
random IO is actually just reading with a 4GB stride, wrapping around at
the end of the file.

/data33 49
/data34 114
/data33 114
/data33 and /data44 simultaneously 78 and 59 respectively
/data33 76
/data33 68
/data34 114
/data34 96
/data34 69
/data34 74
/data33 118
/data33 40
/data34 91

After remounting both filesystems:

/data34 148
/data33 120
/data34 120
/data33 82

After unregistering the cache

/data33 65
/data34 83
/data33 99
/data34 113

Cheers,
Franco

* Re: Can't resgister cache
@ 2012-02-15  6:24 ` Kent Overstreet
       [not found]   ` <CAH+dOx+g=eKDgTCnVdZYKrtn7tZjAnWeMdYP0KuZwD=rktsuJw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Kent Overstreet @ 2012-02-15  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Franco; +Cc: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Not sure what's going on with not being able to register again - not a
lot of info to go off of. It was working last I checked in the
bcache-3.2-dev branch, it might be buggy in the older bcache branch.

From your numbers it looks like the 8 gb of data wasn't in the cache -
bcache bypasses sequential IO by default. You can flip it off by
echoing 0 to sequential_cutoff.

* Re: Can't resgister cache
       [not found]   ` <CAH+dOx+g=eKDgTCnVdZYKrtn7tZjAnWeMdYP0KuZwD=rktsuJw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2012-02-15  7:16     ` Franco
From: Franco @ 2012-02-15  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kent Overstreet; +Cc: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

I did a reboot and got it registered again.

bio: create slab <bio-1> at 1
bcache: invalidating existing data
bcache: registered cache device sdb
bcache: Caching sdc, inserted new UUID 87ba7904-7690-4985-b6a8-daeba41712a3
EXT4-fs (bcache0): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)

First read went at 119 MB/Sec, second at 37MB/Sec

Here's what's in stats_hour

/sys/block/sdc/bcache/stats_hour/cache_bypass_hits
::::::::::::::
44
::::::::::::::
/sys/block/sdc/bcache/stats_hour/cache_bypass_misses
::::::::::::::
81172
::::::::::::::
/sys/block/sdc/bcache/stats_hour/cache_hit_ratio
::::::::::::::
0
::::::::::::::
/sys/block/sdc/bcache/stats_hour/cache_hits
::::::::::::::
24
::::::::::::::
/sys/block/sdc/bcache/stats_hour/cache_miss_collisions
::::::::::::::
14
::::::::::::::
/sys/block/sdc/bcache/stats_hour/cache_misses
::::::::::::::
407422
::::::::::::::
/sys/block/sdc/bcache/stats_hour/cache_readaheads
::::::::::::::
0

With echo 0 >/sys/block/sdc/bcache/sequential_cutoff

33 MB/Sec

* Re: Can't resgister cache
@ 2012-02-16  1:09       ` Kent Overstreet
       [not found]         ` <CAC7rs0sadP553tU0foAgDMzWh9euk4LyUYFL0_13rdeD+bBdWA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Kent Overstreet @ 2012-02-16  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Franco; +Cc: Kent Overstreet, linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

That sounds like your SSD is slow and bottlenecking you... What kind
of SSD is it?

Could be some strange plugging thing, maybe...

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM, Franco <franco-uJ2R6605E/fKnmoGZ802fQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> [...]
>> > and remount the filesystems.
>> >
>> > Setup: hardware RAID 5 16 disk array with 2 partitions, 1 Intel 40GB SSD
>> > for bcache.
>> >
>> > Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> > /dev/bcache0          1.9T   26G  1.8T   2% /data33
>> > /dev/sdd              1.9T   23G  1.8T   2% /data34
>> >
>> > Wrote an 8GB file to each filesystem, then tried reading it back.
>> > Machine has 8GB RAM.
>> >
>> > Speed for random reads from identical SSD = 181.766523 MB/Sec, random
>> > read test done in the following order with measured speed in MB/Sec. The
>> > random IO is actually just reading with a 4GB stride, wrapping around at
>> > the end of the file.
>> >
>> > /data33 49
>> > /data34 114
>> > /data33 114
>> > /data33 and /data44 simultaneously 78 and 59 respectively

* Re: Can't resgister cache
       [not found]         ` <CAC7rs0sadP553tU0foAgDMzWh9euk4LyUYFL0_13rdeD+bBdWA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2012-02-16  1:10           ` Kent Overstreet
From: Kent Overstreet @ 2012-02-16  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Franco; +Cc: Kent Overstreet, linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Also, IO is still getting bypassed. If sequential_cutoff is 0, then
the only reason that'd happen is if the latency to the SSD is getting
too high...