* btrfs diff between snapshosts
@ 2014-05-20  2:06 Marc MERLIN
From: Marc MERLIN @ 2014-05-20  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

As a followup on the discussion we had on how to do a live data switch
on a partition without unmounting it since it's busy, it came back to
how do you know what changed between 2 snapshots.

btrfs send giving a file list of what was added/modified/removed is the
long term answer, and Filipe is working on patches that will offer this
in the future (thanks Filipe).

In the meantime, I found a hack/script that gives a partial diff between
2 snapshots, called it btrfs-diff but then remembered that there isn't a
page for it.

So, I made one, along with example usage:
http://marc.merlins.org/perso/btrfs/post_2014-05-19_Btrfs-diff-Between-Snapshots.html

Hope this helps.

As another temp hack, I tried to look at a quick way to parse btrfs send
output to just spit out filenames, but that wasn't too trivial (as in
with sed/perl).

If someone has something better, please share :)

Thanks,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                         | PGP 1024R/763BE901

only message in thread, other threads:[~2014-05-20  2:06 UTC | newest]