* is there a log tree replay kernel message?
@ 2019-11-20 23:04 Chris Murphy
From: Chris Murphy @ 2019-11-20 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Btrfs BTRFS

In fs/btrfs/tree-log.c I'm not seeing anything that would cause a
message to appear in dmesg upon log tree replay at mount time. I see
in fs/btrfs/super.c

 "disabling log replay at mount time"
 "nologreplay must be used with ro mount option"

But in the case log replay is needed and is performed, causes any info
message to appear in dmesg. At least ext4 and XFS do have such
messages found in dmesg upon log replay. What am I missing?

Log replay suggests a crash, power failure or otherwise unclean
shutdown, and I think it would be useful to have an indicator of such
at the next boot rather than Btrfs just silently succeeding without
giving any indication that there was previously an unclean unmount.

--
Chris Murphy

* Re: is there a log tree replay kernel message?
@ 2019-11-22 17:15 ` David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2019-11-22 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Murphy; +Cc: Btrfs BTRFS

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 04:04:59PM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> In fs/btrfs/tree-log.c I'm not seeing anything that would cause a
> message to appear in dmesg upon log tree replay at mount time. I see
> in fs/btrfs/super.c
>
>  "disabling log replay at mount time"
>  "nologreplay must be used with ro mount option"
>
> But in the case log replay is needed and is performed, causes any info
> message to appear in dmesg. At least ext4 and XFS do have such
> messages found in dmesg upon log replay. What am I missing?
>
> Log replay suggests a crash, power failure or otherwise unclean
> shutdown, and I think it would be useful to have an indicator of such
> at the next boot rather than Btrfs just silently succeeding without
> giving any indication that there was previously an unclean unmount.

Makes sense to print the message, thanks for the suggestion.